Thread: Frog Rack w/tub setups

Pluke

Default Frog Rack w/tub setups

I told some people in another thread I'd post some pics of my filter setups I have my frogs in, along with the rack. I got the rack a couple weeks ago and so far I'm really happy with it. I got it mainly to save on energy and to keep my frogs warm over the winter, seeing as it gets pretty cold in my house. If it wasn't for that I'd probably just have them all in aquariums, this is just more energy efficient and easier to monitor temps to keep them where I need them to be.

Name:  Frog Rack Pics 001.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  49.8 KBName:  Frog Rack Pics 002.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  44.7 KBName:  Frog Rack Pics 003.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  41.5 KBName:  Frog Rack Pics 004.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  47.6 KBName:  Frog Rack Pics 005.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  70.2 KBName:  Frog Rack Pics 006.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  66.2 KBName:  Frog Rack Pics 007.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  61.3 KB

The rack is from Reptile Basics Inc. It's the MCB-S Rack Wide Version. The tubs seem to be just right as far as size goes, though I don't know how they would be for full grown Ornata. The female Lime Green albino you see on the filter is about 4" or so. The rack seems to hold heat pretty good and I don't have ventilation holes in the tubs YET.. I haven't decided whether to give them some or not, there is a small crack for air and so far I think it's enough. I'd hate to put some holes in it and then lose a lot of heat. There is usually condensation on the front of the tubs, I just wiped it off for the photo shoot. Any questions feel free to ask, I would refer RBI Racks to anyone. The rack is also back heat if anyone is wondering and I'm using a Vivarium Electronics VE-200 Proportional Thermometer, it works great and is completely silent.

PS: Don't mind the giant Blue Gill on the wall, when I caught it I got a master angler award since it was the second biggest one in the state at the time. o_O

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Maharg

Default Re: Frog Rack w/tub setups

Thats a very cool setup.

FriedrichsFrogs

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    PS: Don't mind the giant Blue Gill on the wall, when I caught it I got a master angler award since it was the second biggest one in the state at the time. o_O
    Ohh laa-dii-daaa Cool rack iv never seen that before

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Rack looks very good

Pluke

Haha, thanks guys. As you can see I have three extra tubs in it waiting for new residents, which I'm expecting to be peppermints here pretty soon. The bottom right tub in the rack actually has a sterlite shoebox tub in it that is filled with about 15 hornworm pupa.. so I'm going to be raising another batch of those here possibly. I don't know how well they'll breed with these low temps but I'm gonna try anyway.

Maharg

Haha, thanks guys. As you can see I have three extra tubs in it waiting for new residents, which I'm expecting to be peppermints here pretty soon. The bottom right tub in the rack actually has a sterlite shoebox tub in it that is filled with about 15 hornworm pupa.. so I'm going to be raising another batch of those here possibly. I don't know how well they'll breed with these low temps but I'm gonna try anyway.
    Have you been successful with breeding hornworms before? Theyre 2$ each in Calgary on average, which is more then an adult mouse so I assumed they are very difficult to breed.

Pluke

Yup, IMO it's relatively easy. I was successful my first and only try, the pupa I have now are left over adults from that breeding. Here is a link where I "somewhat" describe how I did it.

http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...gs-galore.html

My first attempt I got about 12 moths to hatch and at least 6 were females so I had about 1,000 eggs or so. I probably got about 400 of those to adult worms, I would have had more but I didn't rear them properly with the cups and lost a lot of the baby worms due to them not being able to find the food. They tend to wander off and get lost if the food isn't right in front of them.. and they can fit through the smallest cracks, they're so tiny. I would have got more worms to pupate but I followed horrible directions from what I thought was a reliable source and lost about 15 worms. If you ever try it, do NOT put them in with balled up newspaper and toilet paper rolls to pupate. It dries them out and kills them, even if you keep it real damp like I did. Go ahead and read my other post and if you have any questions feel free to ask me. I have some pictures in my albums of the worms too.

GeorgiaBulls

Great looking setup..

Maharg

Yup, IMO it's relatively easy. I was successful my first and only try, the pupa I have now are left over adults from that breeding. Here is a link where I "somewhat" describe how I did it.

http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...gs-galore.html

My first attempt I got about 12 moths to hatch and at least 6 were females so I had about 1,000 eggs or so. I probably got about 400 of those to adult worms, I would have had more but I didn't rear them properly with the cups and lost a lot of the baby worms due to them not being able to find the food. They tend to wander off and get lost if the food isn't right in front of them.. and they can fit through the smallest cracks, they're so tiny. I would have got more worms to pupate but I followed horrible directions from what I thought was a reliable source and lost about 15 worms. If you ever try it, do NOT put them in with balled up newspaper and toilet paper rolls to pupate. It dries them out and kills them, even if you keep it real damp like I did. Go ahead and read my other post and if you have any questions feel free to ask me. I have some pictures in my albums of the worms too.
    Great, thanks. Ill have to give it a shot. Could save me upwards of close to $1500 a year. Thats a trip to mexico. My Rococo goes through them like candy. If I really wanted to fill her up she would comfortably rip through 20 or so in a minute or two.

Pluke

Thanks Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharg View Post
    Great, thanks. Ill have to give it a shot. Could save me upwards of close to $1500 a year. Thats a trip to mexico. My Rococo goes through them like candy. If I really wanted to fill her up she would comfortably rip through 20 or so in a minute or two.
    It's definitely worth a try dude. You just have to be sure you have a good source of food for them before they hatch.. preferably in cups like how you buy them. It's easy to do you just cook the food and pour it into the cups with the gutter guard in it for them to climb up. I don't know canadian suppliers for hornworms, but maybe Great Lake Hornworms ships to canada. That's where I get my chow, as next breeding I'll be buying a ton of cups for rearing instead of doing it with sterlite shoeboxes like I did last time.

Kira Hudson

wow pluke i been looking for a rack like that forever thanks

FriedrichsFrogs

Thanks Bart.

It's definitely worth a try dude. You just have to be sure you have a good source of food for them before they hatch.. preferably in cups like how you buy them. It's easy to do you just cook the food and pour it into the cups with the gutter guard in it for them to climb up. I don't know canadian suppliers for hornworms, but maybe Great Lake Hornworms ships to canada. That's where I get my chow, as next breeding I'll be buying a ton of cups for rearing instead of doing it with sterlite shoeboxes like I did last time.
    Funny I was just talking to Sunshine about adding sum variety to our toads diet. I might try out the hornworms if its as easy as u say it is

Beardo

Very nice! I have kept Pacmans and Giant Pixies in racks like this before and its definitely the most efficient way to do things.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thats all keep my pacs in racks from wal mart
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Thread Information