Thread: Filter Foam

infamouschris7

Default Filter Foam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pluke

Default Re: Filter Foam

I'm using something that looks really similar. You can see it in my avatar, that's what he's on. I bought mine from a local pet store in a 4' x 1' roll and washed it out really good with hot well water (I'm on a well) then rinsed it with spring water to be safe.. but yah, the frogs don't seem to mind it. It keeps them moist, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of it since they tend to tear holes in it. I'm thinking of trying the Matala Black Amazon.com: Matala BLACK Filter Media X-Lg Density Media 39" x 24"; (QTY 1): Pet Supplies I'm pretty sure this is the stuff they use in some videos I see online. Such as the surinam frog calling video. This media may be the better option, more expensive though.

I'd stick to the blue stuff I'm using now, but like I said, they tear holes in it and I'd like to have some kind of filter media that I don't have to replace every month..

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It looks uncomfortable Why don't you use the coco fiber? Do you have a lot of frogs?

infamouschris7

I think im going to go ahead and give the one i posted a try. Its a very cheap price so i cant pass it up.
    How often do you change your foam?

infamouschris7

I have 6 pacmans and 1 pixie. Its a pain changing out all of their water bowls and trying not to spill the presents that they leave in their bowls. Plus having to wash each and every bowl gets tiring. I feel that the foam will cut the cleaning time dramatically.

Pluke

I use it because that's what they were on when I got them and they've been on it for their whole lives. My other three frogs are on coco fiber and odds are will stay on that. Any other frogs I get I THINK I might go with the filter route though, haven't decided.

I have fake plants and soon will probably have some sphagnum moss in there to make them feel more comfortable. I like making my animals comfortable, but I don't want to take a chance of these frogs eating something foreign from coca fiber and harm them. They really don't seem to mind it, I don't think it irritates them much more than coca fiber would. They just can't borrow but they have stuff to hide under.

You have to change the foam every other day pretty much, depending on the enclosure size. I have them in a rack and I kind of go by smell, it gets a little "froggy" smell to it then it's time to change. My frogs are in 13q tubs and I change every other day. It's just as much of a hassle as the coco fiber for the most part.. I actually have to do less with my coco fiber guys because I just have to change their bowls every other day since they never use them and stir the soil every week.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ahh, I see. It doesn't bother them to not be able to burrow?

Pluke

You know, I'm sure it bothers them a little when they can see me, but I don't think that it bothers them that much if there isn't something threatening within view. They don't even seem that bothered by me. The more I think of it though, I might use coca fiber with future frogs just because it does feel a little easier and it is probably a bit more comfortable. I imagine when I have a larger amount of frogs I'll go full foam though.

Another plus about this foam, I think it brings out their colors. When they go into the coco fiber they tend to dull themselves to fit in. They both have their negatives and positive, but I don't think the filter is that much worse in comfort for it not to be an option, especially with a lot of frogs. You'll see a lot of videos with people keeping their frogs on foam on youtube and other members here use it as well.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Cool thanks! I am trying to learn as much as I can about this hobby. Or maybe I'm just nosy...

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm just curious, do you put a hide or something in when you use the foam?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    I'm just curious, do you put a hide or something in when you use the foam?
    Ite usually recommended, but not exactly necessary. I don't use it, but if and when I do I will use some sort plastic cave/hide for so they feel more secure.

Pluke

I have some fake plants that I bought at Michaels arts and crafts store, you can kind of arrange the leaves on it. I make it so they can back up into a cave basically made of fake plant leaves. I'll post some pictures of my rack setup for them in the next couple of days, possibly tonight.

Thread Information