Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coldest safe temperature for FBT's?

Mr Bee

Default Coldest safe temperature for FBT's?

Hi, I know FBT's are generally regarded as not needing heating, and are fine at room temperature, but what really is the coldest they can safely get down to?I have my FBT tank in my lounge, and what with the recent cold snap we're now getting in the UK, the thermostat in the lounge is reading a temp as low as 15C overnight. I anticipate this could get even colder, especially when winter properly sets in, and it can get down to 11C or so - it did last year. So I'm wondering how cold my FBT's can be allowed to get, if this is too cold then I need to look for a suitable heater to keep the water part warm for them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

MantisMan

Default Re: Coldest safe temperature for FBT's?

mine survived 4 days at 48 degrees farenheit but i wouldnt go below 55 farenheit

FriedrichsFrogs

wow, troopers!

Hoppity100

I hope you do not risk their temperature being too low. Mine have water 76 degrees (heater) with partially humid air. They seem to enjoy it so much they do not want to escape!

MantisMan

they dont need a water heater! it can burn their skin and if they ever breed it could cook the eggs
    a 40 watt bulb over them is plenty

Hoppity100

I read somewhere some lights are not right, a water heater is better. Some lights like a hood light would really hurt their eyes or be too hot, depending on bulb and how high it is, or how long it is kept on. Mine have a separate light with 25 w bulb next to tank. During the day they are near a window to get natural light. My water heater is about 76 degrees at most and they're always bathing in the water. I have felt it before and its not hot, if mine have eggs they may not hatch, I can't have tadpoles and more frogs, tank is not big enough. But, mine are happy. I hear chirping at night.

danjmc89

I wouldn't worry too much about short term drops in temp. From what I've been told by various keepers, backed up by peer reviewed papers, this species can survive temps of only a few celsius overnight easily, and night time lows of about ten celsius are comfortable. I recently had some personal experience of this when my boiler failed in a recent cold snap in the UK (snow cold for us) and the min night temp in my viv was about 6 that night. The male even continued chirping, although not very enthusiastically!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The best temperature for FBTs is 18 to 24 (C), 64 to 75 (F). Some species, like the European fire belly toads can tolerate temperatures as low as 12(C) 54(F).
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Hoppity100

How long was he that cold? Is he okay today?

danjmc89

All 3 of them are absolutely fine

Hoppity100

Oh, good. I hope they are not cold. I have 4 FB's now and they are fine except 1 is skinny. They all had a cricket fest the other night and the cricket I found in the kitchen thismorning was added. I'll offer worms tonight and hope the skinny guy eats more than one.

danjmc89

I've never fed mine worms, just brown and black gut loaded crickets. Do yours like standard earthworms?

Hoppity100

They would if the worm was not so long. Frogs must not have teeth? I cut the worm and it does not wiggle long enough to get their attention. I have trouble with crickets eventhough I house them in a clear plastic box with food and damp cotton balls. I also have trouble with the store keeping and selling dead wax worms. My mealworms do not last long in spite of giving them oatmeal, honey, or raw apple. I do dangle a worm if a frog can't see it. So, I am buying worms all the time, there were worms wasted when a frog waits too long to eat it. I finally just turned 15 crickets loose in the tank.

FrogFriend

I was concerned about the same thing! We had a huge temperature drop here too, and when Arizona experiences a temperature drop it can go from 80Fs to 30Fs overnight(26 to -1 C)! I noticed my toads were all dark in color and weren't as active. I kept the day/heat bulb on even through the night so they wouldn't get too cold. I did end up getting a heater. I bought a very small flat heater that is used for small sized aquariums. It is also located in an area of my tank that the toads can not get near it, as for babies, not really wanting any at this time, if they show up I will make the proper changes. The heater that I have does not go above 75F (23C). I have been monitoring the temperature gauge to make sure it isn't getting too hot for them also. Since I have added the heater my toads are much more mobile. They are hanging out in their plant, on the mossy deck, on their rock by their waterfall, etc. They are no longer huddled in a tiny corner together.

FrogFriend

I have given mine wax worms and they LOVED them! The only thing with wax worms is that they are REALLY fatty. So they are more of a treat then their diet. I also experienced the same problem with the store selling me nearly dead wax worms. Plus, I was a little peeved- never having worked with wax worms before- that the store keeper didn't tell me that the worms "hibernate" or shut down or something and then after a few minutes they will re-animate. Makes sense since she said to put them in the fridge. There are just too many in a package at the store I go to and since I give them as treats and not their diet, they died and went bad before I coudl use them all. You'll know the difference. They are a nice white/cream color when they are good and then as they get old they turn darker and then when they die they are black. Haven't tried any other kinds yet though.

Hoppity100

I had this feeling frogs like warmth which is why I hope people see my post. The ones that say frogs don't need a heater, well, yeah if the temp is constant and not a drastic change they might not. But, we have seasons here and I already figured out my frogs like warmth so I have the small underwater heater for them. There are people who insist on a hood light. Do they think any animal wants to live with a gigantic light in their eyes? Natural daylight, heater for water, cover that allows you to control humidity. That is how I keep mine. Mine are in the water enough that its obvious they like warmth and water both. Hope this helps and hope people with hood lights read all this. I'm thinking of the frog's needs.

danjmc89

It's not so much that they don't like cooler temperatures, it's just that their being ectothermic results in slower activity when there's a lower ambient temperature. With some species of ectotherm lower temperatures can be harmful due to slower digestion (food can end up rotting before it's digested). Constant and rapid fluctuations aren't great though.

I partly agree and partly disagree regarding the hood light. Good lighting is very helpful in controlling the animals daily rhythms and enables live plants to grow well (animals tend to be happier when they have natural shelter). Perhaps most importantly it enables people to get more pleasure from their terrariums/aquariums, and if people get more pleasure from their animals they tend to put more effort into looking after them. You just need to make sure that the lighting your using is suitable to the species of animal in the enclosure.

Hoppity100

I see your point, and they do need some form of light, but not in their eyes. My method is working: tank is by natural light, small lamp next to it in evening, water heater at 76 degrees. And I control humidity. I still say a hood light may not be good depending on type of bulb. Frogs have sensitive eyes. I would not like living with a light on over my head or face. I'd start seeing big dots after a while. When you mentioned constant and rapid fluctuations did you mean air temperature? Just curious...

FrogFriend

As for lighting: there are bulbs, day and night bulbs that are made for sensitive eyed amphibian/reptiles. That's what I use. I have light hoods that help disperse the light and they have a screen lid. There are different species of FBT and some of them are from S. East Asia which is a very hot and wet climate. So, humidity is great and warmth is too. But I feel it all comes down to what's best for your toads. Some people have more land and only a little pool for their toads and their toads are happier that way. Mine love to be in the water. Just at the top, so for them they enjoy more water and then large rocks or plants for them to sit on.

Hoppity100

I just couldn't put a hood light over mine because of their eyes. I noticed mine are better when warmer, they seem happier. They also like the water, too. It must feel good to them instead of being out of water, I think they like it because they are warmer or they like being wet in general. I don't have the right shaped container to put in my tank just for water. I might look for one but it needs to be close to the same width as tank and large enough. Wish stores sold what I am looking for. But, water in tank with built land areas is working out. Yeah, mine have large rocks, driftwood, and platform of eco earth fiber and sometimes I find one sitting on that, too. They like climbing on the diftwood, they wait for dinner there. From watching them, I gather they can't see far?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information