Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Albino Pacman Frog

Casualties138

Default Re: Problem with Albino Pacman Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    No offense to you, but folks generally don't learn about what's toxic to amphibians by working at the greenhouse. I'm not arguing that there are toxic plants inside your terrarium. I'm just simply making a point on that the logic may not work there.

I know that i know what i am talking about when it comes to the plants and i can guarentee that they are not toxic to my frog. I have experience in this area that exceeds just "working in a greenhouse"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kira Hudson

i think what she ment was whats toxic to us and whats toxic to forgs are differnt i personly resurch every plant and item that goes in my tanks before they go in

i dont think namio ment any ill will buy here post you came and asked a question and she gave her opion thats it

Kira Hudson

as for lighting some weak led lights might work

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Daylight bulbs will burn an Albino's skin and can cause them to go blind. If necessary just move the frogs enclosure so that a little mire daylight shines in, but DO NOT place the enclosure actually near the window. so that there is no actual greenhouse effect within the enclosure. Use a UTH placed on the side of the enclosure for supplemental heat like Namio has suggested.

He is also right about any live plants. Nearly all are toxic to Amphibian especially if eaten or the juices from the ant get on their extremely sensitive skin. This can irritate the skin causing stress. Ingestion can be fatal or cause irritation of the digestive tract.

What kind of water are you using for the frog's water dish. You say de-chlorinating, but many people confuse de-chlorinated with distilled which although it contains no chlorine it also contains absolutely nothing. Distilled water is fine for misting and fog machines, but is harmful to the frog if used as a main water source. This also goes for expanding the frog's substrate. Distilled water contains no mineral/salt content that assists the frog in hydration and regular body and organ functions. It literally leaches the vitamins, minerals, and salts out of the frog slowing killing it. This will also cause severe stress.

De-chlorinated water is tap water treated with a de-chlorinating agent/water conditioner. The same stuff for fish tanks that removes chlorine, heavy metals, and Chlorimines. Your other option is All Natural Spring Water which still has the mineral/salt content, but contains no chemicals.

Are you using the correct water??

BuckeyeHerp

I think it might be stress from too much light. Albino Cranwell's need cover and hides more than any other species. It's like walking around Cocoa Beach Florida in the middle of summer without sunglasses and sunscreen. I would put a ZooMed Habba Hut in the enclosure too. Turn off all artificial light. A ceiling lamp and indirect sunlight is fine.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post

He is also right about any live plants. Nearly all are toxic to Amphibian especially if eaten or the juices from the ant get on their extremely sensitive skin.

Nearly all live plants are toxic to amphibians?

Casualties138

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Daylight bulbs will burn an Albino's skin and can cause them to go blind. If necessary just move the frogs enclosure so that a little mire daylight shines in, but DO NOT place the enclosure actually near the window. so that there is no actual greenhouse effect within the enclosure. Use a UTH placed on the side of the enclosure for supplemental heat like Namio has suggested.

He is also right about any live plants. Nearly all are toxic to Amphibian especially if eaten or the juices from the ant get on their extremely sensitive skin. This can irritate the skin causing stress. Ingestion can be fatal or cause irritation of the digestive tract.

What kind of water are you using for the frog's water dish. You say de-chlorinating, but many people confuse de-chlorinated with distilled which although it contains no chlorine it also contains absolutely nothing. Distilled water is fine for misting and fog machines, but is harmful to the frog if used as a main water source. This also goes for expanding the frog's substrate. Distilled water contains no mineral/salt content that assists the frog in hydration and regular body and organ functions. It literally leaches the vitamins, minerals, and salts out of the frog slowing killing it. This will also cause severe stress.

De-chlorinated water is tap water treated with a de-chlorinating agent/water conditioner. The same stuff for fish tanks that removes chlorine, heavy metals, and Chlorimines. Your other option is All Natural Spring Water which still has the mineral/salt content, but contains no chemicals.

Are you using the correct water??
    i dont know how else to make it clear, It is not the plants!, i KNOW that toxic to us is different than toxic to amphibians, I know what i am doing in that department. So that is off the table.
    As for the water, I have used distilled in the past, but usually just use tap water with the dechlorinating drops you can get at the pet store...I have also heard that if you leave regular tap water sitting out for a couple days it does the same thing as the drops, just out of curiosity..is that true??
    I think the problem was the light, I turned it off today and when i came home from work he was not on his back like he has been the last few days. This seems strange though because like i said I have had him for a couple years (and had that light as well) and nothing ever happened until now.
    Also, Since i have a heat lamp (red light) should I also add a UTH..and if so, Ive been told not to put an UTH on the bottom of the tank...is this not correct?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Convulsion can be due either to toxing out from contact with high levels of ammonia in the substrate (perhaps it was kept too wet for too long, or wasnt changed when it should have been.) or from low levels of calcium in the blood.
    Perhaps you should evaluate those aspects of the frogs care.

Aside from the fact that people keep repeating on the forum that Pacman frogs will seizure when stressed, I have never read this in any source that could actually confirm this being true.

Maharg

I get that we are really reaching here for troubleshooting purposes, and this comment is not meant to stir up drama again, but poor amphibians must have a hell of a time in the wild if nearly all live plants are toxic to them, no? I get that captive frogs can live twice as long as wild frogs from being paranoid about certain things but can't we still keep in mind that frogs are still natural animals?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    Convulsion can be due either to toxing out from contact with high levels of ammonia in the substrate (perhaps it was kept too wet for too long, or wasnt changed when it should have been.) or from low levels of calcium in the blood.
    Perhaps you should evaluate those aspects of the frogs care.

Aside from the fact that people keep repeating on the forum that Pacman frogs will seizure when stressed, I have never read this in any source that could actually confirm this being true.

Just because its not on paper doesn't make it any less fact. I have seen severe stress cause tv m to even die of a stroke or seizure. Even heart failure from severe stress. Flipping over isn't necessarily a convulsion. Its something they may do in a situation that is dire and they're giving up or become very disoriented.

You're right about Toxing Out Syndrome being a possibility, but they're usually very lethargic and don't often flip over from it. Severe bloating occurs and they become very listless.

It is also true that nearly all live plants are toxic to amphibians in one way or another, but it doesn't affect them unless ingested of if the plant secretes something from it being damaged. I'm not saying its the issue here just pointing that out and am not going to address it here anymore.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm glad that you have figured out the issue.

Leaving tap water out no longer removes all chemicals and heavy metals from tap water. While chlorine will evaporate out in 48 hours, Chlorimines, ammonia, and heavy metals will be left behind therefore you must treat the tap water.

When using a UTH for burrowing frogs place it on the side of the tank just above the top level of the substrate. A 40 watt infrared bulb is just fine to combine with the UTH for supplemental heat. 40 watts is just fine you don't want to go higher than 50 and use a lamp that has a dimmer switch like the Fluker's 5.5" clamp lamp with dimmer.

I hope all this helps and if you have any further questions just ask.

Casualties138

thanks for all the help. Ill let you know if the problem continues.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Casualties138 View Post
    thanks for all the help. Ill let you know if the problem continues.
    You're welcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information