Thread: C.cranwelli and c. Ornata

AMKReptiles

Default C.cranwelli and c. Ornata

Hi every one I'm new to horned frogs and I have a few questions.. First how can you tell the difference between the 2 species? Second what are different morphs on Both species? I see yellow albinos, strawberrie albinos and peach albinos are all this cranwellis or onatas... Samurais are what?
    lol a lot of question I know but I don't want to breed the wrong frogs and end up with a bunch of hybrids/ fantasy..
    pthanks in advance

julio

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Namio

Default Re: C.cranwelli and c. Ornata

To tell Ornate and cranwell's apart, the presence/absence of the "false eyes" located posterior to their eyes is one useful way.

Here's a Ornate horned frog, with the false eyes encircled in yellow.

Below is a Cranwell's horned frog, no "false eyes" present.

But be aware, not all Ornate horned frogs have those "false eyes," although they usually do.
    Also, there are size differences between these two species. Cranwell's are generally smaller than Ornates. Female cranwelli generally ranges betweem 4-5 inches SVL, mature males are 3-4 inches SVL.
    On the other hand, female Ornate can reach 7 inches SVL and male usually tops around 5 inches.

One additional difference is their horns. This is a somewhat subtle trait, however. Cranwell's have horn-projections that are slightly more prominent than Ornates. Ornates probably have the most reduced horn-projection within this genus.

All those morphs (various albino morphs, Samurai, mutant, etc.) that you mentioned are all pure Cranwell's. It is probably because Ornates are harder to breed compared to Cranwell's, for reasons unknown. Perhaps one of the experts on here can answer that question for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Namio

To show you the different morphs of Cranwelli, Mike just posted a thread of his beautiful morphs. You should check it out if you haven't:
    http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...li-morphs.html

AMKReptiles

Thanks for the info guys.. I emailed Mike plus I saw the post on the cranwellis morphs.. So if I'm right the different morphs of Horned frogs are all cranwellis? I was miss informed by a supposed breeder that told me that all morphs were ornatas and he also told me that fantasy were ornata x cranwellis. Never mention cornuta..

julio

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by AMKReptiles View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.. I emailed Mike plus I saw the post on the cranwellis morphs.. So if I'm right the different morphs of Horned frogs are all cranwellis? I was miss informed by a supposed breeder that told me that all morphs were ornatas and he also told me that fantasy were ornata x cranwellis. Never mention cornuta..

julio
    Yes, you're right on that Cranwellis have the most morphs of all horned frogs, if by morph you meant that it's the same species but in different forms.

Many websites and some pet shop staff are somehow misinformed on what Fantasy frogs are made out of from my own past experience, but it is no doubt that Fantasy frogs are a hybrid between Cornuta and Cranwelli.

Ornata x Cranwelli can hybridize and they make a rare breed called Orwell's. Personally I have never seen a picture of it. I believe an Orwell baby would cost over $300.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by AMKReptiles View Post
    Hi every one I'm new to horned frogs and I have a few questions.. First how can you tell the difference between the 2 species? Second what are different morphs on Both species? I see yellow albinos, strawberrie albinos and peach albinos are all this cranwellis or onatas... Samurais are what?
    lol a lot of question I know but I don't want to breed the wrong frogs and end up with a bunch of hybrids/ fantasy..
    pthanks in advance

julio
    I would definitely recommend keeping these frogs for a year or two before even attempting to breed. A lot more goes into their care than people initially think and as you have seen, there is a lot of incorrect info out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    Ornata x Cranwelli can hybridize and they make a rare breed called Orwell's. Personally I have never seen a picture of it. I believe an Orwell baby would cost over $300.
    I've seen a couple pictures on Japanese sites. They seem to take after the Ornate patterning but their skull shape is more like a Cranwelli. It is difficult enough to breed Ornates, so it isn't too hard to believe that people don't often successfully produce Orwells.

AMKReptiles

Yeah I'm not planing on breeding them now, I was thinking about a year a a half I mean they grow fast but I don't have the knowledge yet to try it.. I don't want to kill them or do anything to harm them...Ill stick to breeding my snakes like I've been doing for over 10 year lol that I could do with my eyes close.. I have always seen the horned/pacman frogs but just recently decided to try and keep some as pets and try to breed them and now I'm hooked lol

Thread Information