Thread: Hello! New from Northwest Indiana!!

Miketodd

Default Hello! New from Northwest Indiana!!

Hello there! I am new to amphibians and I am from northwest Indiana. My son came home with a pollywog and we put it in a 10 gal aquarium set up with in tank filter. We had so much fun watching it grow and change. However, it did turn into a tree frog and got out twice. Because of this, we set it free and are now looking for something to fill it's place. So we are looking at buying another Pollywog that is a Leopard Frog (from online). Is it a good idea to buy them from those "nature" websites that advertise the "Grow a real frog"? The otehr idea we have is either turn the tank into a fish tank with some Albino African Dwarf Frogs or else a Newt (fire bellied or paddle tale). My son knows that these are a Don't Touch, Just Look type pet and he still loves them. He gave the tank a hug every night before going to bed when we had "Frog".
    I know this has probably been addressed before, but since we will be near a pet store tomorrow. I just wanted some input. THANKS FROGFORUM!!!

-Mike

Default Re: Hello! New from Northwest Indiana!!

welcome from SE Pa!i have never bought from one of those websites, and i don't think that i ever would. from a dealer or breeder yes, but fro one of those nature places, nah, i'll pass if you guys are still up in the air about what pet to get, i would suggest cruising a few pet stores, see what's available and what you like. then come home, read the care guides on any species that you saw that you liked,set up a home for them, THEN purchase the animal. remember, their home can be as simple or extravagent as you like. it would kind of suck for the poor animal for you to bring it home and maybe have to live in unsuitable housing while it's waiting for you to set a tank up. i only put it that way because of the animals you mentioned all have such a wide array of care needs. it's like saying i'm not sure if i want a kangaroo, a penguin, a bottle nose dolphin or a mountain goat, eh, i'll just get one and figure out what to do with him when i get home. BTW, i like extremely off the wall exaggerations....lol
    and seriously? your son hugging the tank every night? TOO CUTE! gotta love kids.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Miketodd

Hye Bill!
    Thanks for the tips. I currently have the tank set up to house either a pollywog, a frog (just need to add some more land) or a newt (need to add the plants). We are going to take him to the only real pet store around (other than petco or pet smart or is it pets mart?) and let him browse some of what they have. I have extensive experiance in reptiles and arachnids but new to the whole amphibian realm. Thanks again for the reply! And yes, I LOVE watching him hug the tank.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Niima

Hey I'm from Indiana too North West though. They have amazing tree frogs.

Miketodd

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! We ended up going to a family owned pet store and getting a Paddle Tail newt. Although, upon further investigation, I believe it is a "warty" newt. He (we are calling it a he for now) is brown with bumps on his back and orange and yellow spots on his belly. He is around 6" long and is doing well. So far we love him and he is very active and eating well.
    Hope to learn a ton from this site!!
    -Mike

good for you guys!! congrats!! they are cool little creatures. never had them, but eye them up every time i see them at the pet shop
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri