Thread: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog mating?

AimeeD08

Default Red-Eyed Leaf Frog mating?

We have Red Eyes, this morning I found Puddles on Ivy's back. I know they are mating. I have read through other posts where people have bred their frogs. We are still new to our frogs, we have had them for a little over a month. My question is, will females definately lay eggs after mating? And if so, how quickly? I will need to add foilage around the waterfall for her to lay them. We wanted them to mate them eventually, but we thought we would have to run them through "seasons" first. I may have more questions after ai do some more research tonight. Thank you in advance for any advice. I was going to add a picture but I am not able to from my phone. I do have pictures of them in my album if you would like to see them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog mating?

I could be wrong, but I believe red-eye females will lay their eggs while the male is on her back. The male then fertilizes the eggs outside of her body...
    I'm sure there are lots of books and references for how to breed red-eyes.
    And from what I've heard, it actually takes a lot of work on the owners part (providing the correct environmental factors, etc.) for red-eyes to mate and actually have babies....
    I don't think they mate like dogs and cats, or bunnies. It requires very specific environmental factors, none of which I'm educated on.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

AimeeD08

Default Re: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog mating?

Okay, so I did do some reading, but the information is so different from one article to the next. I hope someone can help. We were not prepared for this. We did not run a rainy season, which is why I was so surprised to see him on her. If he is on her back, does that mean she will definately lay eggs? How long should it take before she lays them? How long should we let him stay on her back before we try to get him to move off her? I know it is nature at work, but I want to know how long is too long. Thanks for any help.

Thread Information