Thread: Red worms for pacman?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Red worms for pacman?

Can I feed red worms to a pacman? I have heard that they are ok, and I have heard they are bad.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Misschievou2

Default Re: Red worms for pacman?

Aren't red worms only for turtles and fish?

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Can I feed red worms to a pacman? I have heard that they are ok, and I have heard they are bad.
    Short answer is yes.

The longer answer is feeding red worms to pacman is less than ideal. Once injured, these worms secretes unpleasant (not toxic, however) smell that the frog may not like.

I'm assuming you are trying to feed a baby pacman? Actually it does not matter because baby or not I would use large Canadian nightcrawlers.

Here's a tong feeding video created by Jessica aka IvoryReptiles that provides excellent info on how to feed your frog: Tong Feeding 101 - YouTube

I believe she and her husband also made feeding 102 and 103 with additional valuable information on how to dust supplement and proper handling of pacman frogs.

5. This member thanks Namio for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you I was just wondering because they are smaller than the nightcrawlers and I don't like cutting up the nightcrawlers because they ooze this snot looking stuff and it seems like the frogs are grossed out by it but maybe it's just me. I am planning on ordering some silkworms so I will save the nightcrawlers for when my pacman gets here.

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Thank you I was just wondering because they are smaller than the nightcrawlers and I don't like cutting up the nightcrawlers because they ooze this snot looking stuff and it seems like the frogs are grossed out by it but maybe it's just me. I am planning on ordering some silkworms so I will save the nightcrawlers for when my pacman gets here.
    Haha, you're very welcome! I think it's you that get grossed out by the slimy internals of the nightcrawlers cuz the frogs love it!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I think you are right I have a couple FBTs that are picky and wont eat the nightcrawlers so I guess I will just have to keep trying. I want to give them variety but I may just have to stick with crickets and silkworms for them with the occasional butterworm... They LOVE butterworms!

Nationality
    [United States]

I feed night crawlers for my african clawed frogs and it more or less drives them into a froggy frenzy.. I am surprised that any frog would turn down a juicy earthworm!

I don't see how a red wriggler or nightcrawler could be bad for a Pac Man (but I don't keep them so I'm no authority on this). Earthworms in general are pretty nutritionally rich, so again I don't see any negatives to them.

I have had to cut up worms for my smaller frogs.. I find the easiest method.. is using kitchen scissors.

10. This member thanks mpmistr for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I had got the red worms because I wanted to give my pacman and other frogs a varied diet. I have nightcrawlers, red worms, crickets, hornworms, and I am going to get some silkworms. The toads dont seem too interested in the nightcrawlers or red worms so I was going to give them to my pacman.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm reading that red wrigglers are somewhat toxic and many amphibians find them distasteful? May be best to stick with nightcrawlers.

13. This member thanks mpmistr for this post:

Cloxygen

when feeding it the night crawlers does it matter if they have some dirt on them from their container? I know coco fiber can cause impaction but can soil? I would normally just wash them off to be safe but when they get wet they like get thinner and longer for some reason and are harder to handle and would be much easier to just pull them right from the container. thanks

Thread Information