Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I give up!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: I give up!!!

If you can find a bait shop you trust, they usually have very good deals on crickets and sell some of the biggest ones around. But be careful, because bait shops aren't the most careful with making sure their bait is feeder quality. I used to buy crickets from this guy who bred his own in the shop and eventually started advertising as selling feeders for reptiles since there were not petstores within 45 minutes of the town I lived in.
    I'd never buy worms from a bait shop though, even if there was a great buy. It's just too risky.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hoppity100

Sounds like these are too risky to give to a frog. I would not take this risk with mine. In fact, today I bought earthworms for them, and I was shocked they would not try them. My wax worms don't move enough and the darn mealworms I bought don't last long enough. I even cared for mealworms like the internet suggested and they still don't last. I guess I'll go back to buying crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

Mealworms are a serious impaction risk and shouldn't be given to pacs. Waxworms aren't much better. Their exoskeletons don't really digest at all...

What sounds risky? Bait-shop crickets? I'd agree, most of them are. But if you find a store that breeds their own, then you can find out exactly how they're being cared for and know whether they're safe. I definitely wouldn't just walk into a bait shop and buy something to feed any of my reptiles

Seems like a lot of pacs aren't very interested in nightcrawlers at first. You can try rubbing the nightcrawler on your frog's lips; a lot of times they will get annoyed and bite it, then keep eating once they realize it's food. Once they start eating them, they usually love them.
    You say 'earthworms', are you sure you're getting nightcrawlers? Most places don't sell actual earthworms, only nightcrawlers and wigglers. Make sure you aren't getting red wigglers; nothing really seems to like those

Hoppity100

It sounded to me like the cockroaches were risky. I won't offer my frogs those, but, I got earthworms today and frogs refused them. I also have wax worms and mealworms. Their favorite is crickets. But I buy 20 crickets each time and several always die and some were large enough that I really don't know how frogs ate them without having a serious problem. The wax worms I have are never wiggly enough for frogs to see them. If I get small crickets I can't catch them, they spring out of their box faster than the eye can see. But I'll keep offering mine different food so they don't get bored.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppity100 View Post
    It sounded to me like the cockroaches were risky. I won't offer my frogs those, but, I got earthworms today and frogs refused them. I also have wax worms and mealworms. Their favorite is crickets. But I buy 20 crickets each time and several always die and some were large enough that I really don't know how frogs ate them without having a serious problem. The wax worms I have are never wiggly enough for frogs to see them. If I get small crickets I can't catch them, they spring out of their box faster than the eye can see. But I'll keep offering mine different food so they don't get bored.
    Dubia roaches aren't risky at all. You should never feed your frog any random roach you just happen to catch, but dubias are bred by people who have businesses dedicated to producing reptile feeders, and they're 100% safe.

Crickets are a pain. How large is your frog? A good rule for the size animal a frog can eat is the food shouldn't be any wider than the space between their eyes. Most pacs can probably eat larger food than that, but if you're not sure it's a good rule to go by. Are you tong-feeding? Give that a try. Sometimes frogs will respond better to food being waved right in front of their face than something lying in the dirt.

Pluke

Just going to state, I have one frog who absolutely refuses roaches and my other one will take them here and there, I bought 100+ roaches back in august for $10 and I still have atleast 100, heh. I'm basically just raising them for the hell of it since my frogs don't really like them. I'd say it's still worth trying though, just don't buy a huge amount without testing them out first. Also if you're looking for a good nightcrawler supply check out Knutson's Live Bait - Night Crawlers, Jumbo Panfish Worms, Leeches, Mousees, Wax Worms, Spikes, Euro Larva, Meal Worms, Crickets, Frozen Herring, Spawn, Wigglers I live like 20 miles from them, but I buy the 100 count and they are huge and my frogs love them. I've never ordered them through the mail but I'm just letting you know I have used the worms for a couple weeks now with no ill effect. They say on their site the nightcrawl 100 count is great for pets.

Hoppity100

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Dubia roaches aren't risky at all. You should never feed your frog any random roach you just happen to catch, but dubias are bred by people who have businesses dedicated to producing reptile feeders, and they're 100% safe.

Crickets are a pain. How large is your frog? A good rule for the size animal a frog can eat is the food shouldn't be any wider than the space between their eyes. Most pacs can probably eat larger food than that, but if you're not sure it's a good rule to go by. Are you tong-feeding? Give that a try. Sometimes frogs will respond better to food being waved right in front of their face than something lying in the dirt.
    Oh, I would never offer mine any roach. I know the rule of thumb about feeding according to the frog's mouth. Yeah, crickets are a pain and you might know my frogs like them better than anything else. Oh, you're talking about pacs and I have fire bellies. I will try and find a picture of a pac. I tried waving the earthworm in front of each frog and they wouldn't go for it, I don't know why.

Hoppity100

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Just going to state, I have one frog who absolutely refuses roaches and my other one will take them here and there, I bought 100+ roaches back in august for $10 and I still have atleast 100, heh. I'm basically just raising them for the hell of it since my frogs don't really like them. I'd say it's still worth trying though, just don't buy a huge amount without testing them out first. Also if you're looking for a good nightcrawler supply check out Knutson's Live Bait - Night Crawlers, Jumbo Panfish Worms, Leeches, Mousees, Wax Worms, Spikes, Euro Larva, Meal Worms, Crickets, Frozen Herring, Spawn, Wigglers I live like 20 miles from them, but I buy the 100 count and they are huge and my frogs love them. I've never ordered them through the mail but I'm just letting you know I have used the worms for a couple weeks now with no ill effect. They say on their site the nightcrawl 100 count is great for pets.
    Thanks for the info, I did not know about these other insects.

Pluke

I didn't realize you were talkin about Fire belly toads, I'm not too experienced with them, haha. I know some people feed them baby lobster roaches there a few members here that prefer them over crickets since they're easier to raise and don't stink. There is a guide on here somewhere by KingCam, maybe look into that. Atleast I think it was lobster roaches.. I know someone here feeds some kind of baby roach to their FBT's, heh. Regardless, that's a good site just make sure you never feed your animals anything with dye like the green crawlers or colored maggots.. it's pretty much common sense, don't use things that have ADDED Scent or dyes. Chemicals are bad, mkay.

Hoppity100

Thanks for letting me know, I wish crickets were easier to keep and cheaper than 10 cents each.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information