Thread: Foam questions, part 2 ... w/Caatinga pics

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Foam questions, part 2 ... w/Caatinga pics

One week after using foam, I see these advantages:

--I can see them easily
    --I can easily seen poop and how often they do so (or lack thereof)
    --No danger of eating any substrate when feeding

The three (pacman) frogs I have on foam are eating well and seem to be doing fine.

The main disadvantages are daily cleaning and the frog's lack of a place to burrow.

My setup, currently in medium Kritter Keepers:
    --3 layers of 1/4" foam
    --about 1/4" of water in bottom (not enough for the frog to be sitting in water)
    --a water bowl (bigger soon, as they can barely fit in these now)

I will be adding some sort of a hideout as well. I mist the frogs directly lightly once or twice a day, which they don't seem to mind.

--My main question is, does the water level need to be up to the top of the foam, or is it ok as it is with the water bowl?
    --I have still been changing all water on a daily basis. But if the water under the foam isn't touching the frog, does it still need to be changed daily?

Finally, some Caatinga pics. I am pretty sure I heard this one croak last night or the night before (he only croaked about 4 times, though). The last pic is taken from outside of the Kritter Keeper thus the clouded look. Does his throat look like it's a male?

Name:  caatinga101412a.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  186.9 KBName:  caatinga101412b.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  205.5 KBName:  caatinga101412c.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  169.8 KBName:  caatinga101412d.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  150.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Foam questions, part 2 ... w/Caatinga pics

If its a decent size tank water changes everyother day. You can put some moss in a corner for it to burrow in.

frogsubrosa

You don't actually need a water dish when using foam. Just cut out a small section of the foam and it will act as the water dish.

Just don't cut all the way across, otherwise the foam will move. Cutting out a section about the size of your water dish will be good.

Pluke

I'm using foam right now for a couple of my frogs.. mine seems softer or something, they actually tear holes into it when they try to burrow and tuck their arms in, lol. I was thinking of trying a different foam but I don't know. They've been on it their whole lives.

Where did you get that foam emandkel? Do they tear it when they try and burrow?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by frogsubrosa View Post
    You don't actually need a water dish when using foam. Just cut out a small section of the foam and it will act as the water dish.

Just don't cut all the way across, otherwise the foam will move. Cutting out a section about the size of your water dish will be good.
    If you use a water dish with foam, you will have to clean the enclosure as many times as you would have to change the water dish, as they will be in direct contact with the water at all times. If you provide a water dish, you will only have to change the foam on a weekly basis. I prefer to use a water dish and place a thin layer of moss over the foam.

If you are concerned about their sense of security, you can use a plastic hide box such as those made for snakes that the frog can back up into.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    I'm using foam right now for a couple of my frogs.. mine seems softer or something, they actually tear holes into it when they try to burrow and tuck their arms in, lol. I was thinking of trying a different foam but I don't know. They've been on it their whole lives.

Where did you get that foam emandkel? Do they tear it when they try and burrow?
    I ordered it from Grainger. It is a air handler filter media foam, but someone on here said they used it for filters in fish tanks so I felt it would be safe for frogs. I squeeze and rinse it several times with hot tap water, then a final rinse in warm dechlorinated water before putting it in their enclosures. I got a 25 foot roll of it, 2 feet wide. You can also get filter foam for pond use in a fish store -- I found some about 12" x 12" and about an inch thick -- same color and type of foam. They can not burrow in it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    If you use a water dish with foam, you will have to clean the enclosure as many times as you would have to change the water dish, as they will be in direct contact with the water at all times. If you provide a water dish, you will only have to change the foam on a weekly basis. I prefer to use a water dish and place a thin layer of moss over the foam.

If you are concerned about their sense of security, you can use a plastic hide box such as those made for snakes that the frog can back up into.
    I meant to say, if you dont use a water dish and cut out a watering hole, you will have to change it every day or other day. By placing a water dish, the water from misting collects beneath the foam, keeping moisture and humidity up, while at the same time allowing urine to move down away from the frog.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

How thick is the foam you got on Grainger?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    How thick is the foam you got on Grainger?
    It is 1/4" thick. I'm using 3 layers of foam in each enclosure, for a total of 3/4" thickness.

Thread Information