Thread: Combinations?

BerryNight

Question Combinations?

What tree frogs live well or are absolutely okay to live together? I've heard and read a few different things online and off and I want to be sure of combining.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: Combinations?

In general you shouldn't mix different species, especially amphibians, as different species have different toxins and they can pick up everything through their skin. Also, treefrogs naturally avoid each other in the wild because they are competitors. If you put different species in a tank together it would likely cause them great stress.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

As mentioned above it is never a good idea to mix species. HOWEVER, the only two species that I would find to be typically okay to mix together would be Green Tree Frogs and Grey Tree Frogs. They typically tend to be found in the same areas and are not toxic to one another. As far as other species go, nothing else I don't think would be compatible to mix.

Nationality
    [United States]

a gray tree frog will eat a green tree frog even in a big enclosure they will still come across each other.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    a gray tree frog will eat a green tree frog even in a big enclosure they will still come across each other.
    As adults the gray tree frog and green tree frog are about the same size. In the wild their natural habits overlap each other, anyways.

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    American Greens get bigger than Greys not by much but it would be the other way around.

Same care requirements for both but still not recommended ever to mix... but these are the only two that might be ok... make sure they are VERY close to the same size if you insist on putting them together.

kmichael55

Is my gray tree frog a freak of nature?? Just measured her after reading this thread, She's an 1/8 of an inch shy of 3 inches. Plus she's FAT and MUCH larger than any green tree frogs I've ever seen at pet shops.

Nationality
    [United States]

lol ive never had a green tre frog get the size of a grey. maybe in length but not in girth

Rae

@ Poison : Yes greens are longer but thinner. Usually in talking about size it is snout to vent so yes I was referring to length when stating greens get larger.

@ Kate : I am beginning to doubt the care sheet info range on Greys (and I have read TONS) they all state 2.5 is max or less and for a female, and that males only get to 1.5 Inches... I have a male just over 2 inches and apparently hes unusually large for a male. Maybe like humans they are getting bigger and fatter lol as a whole=p its captivity and food from day one I bet.

Greens can get to 3 inches and I believe I read someone on here said hers was 3.25 inches... so I wouldn't be putting that female in with a 1.5 inch male grey... fat or not he's still gonna look like food.

Kira Hudson

i have a female green thats 2.5in long so i know they get atleast that long

Rae

I think that's average =)

Kira Hudson

tell that to her she think she queen of all in my house i go to feed any one before her and her man she races back and fourth on the front of her tank
    Last edited by Kira Hudson; October 18th, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling sucks

Nationality
    [United States]

i have honestly never seen a green tree over 2" but i guess it is possible. op if you decide to go throw with this please keep a very good eye out on them and as Rae said make sure thy are close to the same size. i have no doubt that a grey tree would have any trouble putting down a green tree.

Robby Cash

Not saying any of yall are wrong or any thing. But in my tank i have 2 american toads, 2 green tree frogs, and a house gecko. They have been sharing the same tank for 4 months now. So far NO problems at all, i keep the cage around 70-75 during the day and at night it'll drop to around 65. But i mist it once a day, and they all eat, there all healthy. I guess im just lucky? I dont know but i know for sure im having no problems with them at all. I think if you were going to do it though then make sure the frogs come from the same climate? But hell there all together in the wild so i figured id give it a try. And so far every thing is good.

Thread Information