Thread: White's Tree Frog - Male or Female Idenification?

BerryNight

Question White's Tree Frog - Male or Female Idenification?

I've been guessing the genders of my 2 White's tree frogs for a while now. Here's some information on them to try to guess the genders.

Fergo - My 1 White's, Fergo, will croak for about 4 seconds if I play a White's calling on my phone by the tank and Fergo will also do a little sound when my other White's sits on him/her. Fergo is 2 and a half inches long, about a half-an inch bigger than my other Whites.

Nelly - My White's Nelly is approximantly 2 inches long. Nelly croaks about 4-6 croaking sounds then stops then does it again when I play a White's calling. Nelly also does a sound when Fergo sits on top of him/her.

If you have any other questions in order to figure out the genders, please ask. I'm very anxious to find out!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Tree Frog - Male or Female Idenification?

I'm in the same boat as you. Do they expand their neck and body when they croak? In my head I have it that that is how you know it's a male. I have 3 whites and I think that I have 2 girls and a boy. My reasoning is, when I play the frog calling from YouTube only Olive will try to mimic the sound by filling his neck and body with air. However, Shrek and Skitter have both made short noises that almost sound like a parrot squacking. Just like your frogs it's usually when they get stepped on. I've also noticed it when they get upset or when they get excited about feeding time they do it. However, Olive will only make a noise when I play the YouTube clip LOL!

When I first got Shrek, he had a tank mate named Fiona and I always thought she was a boy because I could walk past the room and hear her croaking, but when I would try to catch her she would stop!

I wish I knew at what age or size we'd find out for sure.
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

HerpDerp

It sounds like they COULD both be male, but it's tough to say from what you've described. Females will make noise when they're upset or annoyed but only males truly croak. My male is about 2 inches long and will croak at youtube videos or when it was still warms outside and we kept windows open the crows would set him off early in the morning. My boyfriend frequently sets him off with his singing and noise-making LOL. But because of the frequent calling My WTF has a darkened throat that looks kind of loose. Do your frogs have throats like that?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Mine looks like it has a lot of skin but I don't think the throat is dark. It's weird and one of the reasons why I picked him/her, the green extends over the lower lip and neck. It's an easy way to tell them apart!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

BerryNight

Niether of my white's have darkened throats nor a lot of skin but I will certainly look for that for now on.

Thread Information