Thread: WTF

kmichael55

Default WTF

So I had an idea a while ago that I'd really like to get another tree frog, probably a white's tree frog.
    Now it's all I can think about haha.
    I am definitely decided on a white's and really really would like to get a blue phase.
    I almost bought one today at the local fish store but didn't because there was a really sick looking tiny emaciated one in the tank (or are babies just reaaaaally skinny and dark red in color??)

Any pros/cons on male/female or buying a baby vs. a juvenile/adult??
    I am researching like crazy, just wanted some pro opinions from you guys.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pluke

Default Re: WTF

I don't have any advice or information for you as far as pros and cons go. Or Whites Tree Frog care for that matter, as I've never owned one. I just came here to say that there is a couple reptile shows coming up and you may find a healthy White's there. Last show I went to in august there was a vendor with a bunch of healthy whites, I've bought a couple frogs from him, all healthy. He does the taylor show in michigan and the columbus show in Ohio, I believe. Taylor is like 160 miles from cleveland and columbus seems to be just about the same distance, just thought I'd let you know. Check out reptile expo in ohio on google, they're always fun to go to even if you don't find exactly what you're looking for.

kmichael55

Good idea, thanks!!

HerpDerp

I've only had my whites for a few days but I am so happy I got him! He has the cutest face and is just so fun to watch. I got mine as an adult just because he's the only one I could find anywhere near here but I'm really glad I did. He's about 2 inches long so he's not fully grown. But one benefit is that I got him to croak the first night which means I know his sex already. Also babies strike me as a bit more fragile so an older frog is less likely to have problems. And I know exactly what you mean by it being all you can think about. WTFs just suddenly captivated me and I ended up getting one about a month sooner than I thought I was going to. I think I'm in love LOL

6. This member thanks HerpDerp for this post:

CamilleElise

Hello Kate!

Whites are wonderful pets! I'm obsessed (I have 7, and got my first Whites over 20 years ago). I owned a lovely blue phase, Daphne, and sadly she passed away last month, but she was gorgeous (oh and very fat, I nicknamed her "Jaba the Hut").

I've never been familiar with a Whites being red. I've seen them dark, dark brown, or pale, pale green, or neon green, or shades of turquoise/blue. This makes me think the other frog was either very sick, or actually another species. It's always good to be sure to get healthy frogs (though I'm known to buy out my local pet store's supply pretty regularly as I feel they have sub-par care for their frogs).

I have had males, I have had females. I have bought captive bred babies, and I have bought full-grown adults. Personally I love them all! I hear rumor that males can become territorial, but I have never seen it. In fact, my boys tend to all curl up together every day inside the same hollowed-out log.

In my experience, I like keeping them in pairs. Some people say this isn't necessary, and perhaps it isn't, but I find they do tend to be social as they are often found sleeping near one another. I feel that it's because they like company (heck I would get lonely!). That being said, a lot of sources say pairs aren't necessary. They also don't breed easily (unless you set up a rain/monsoon tank) so you don't really have to worry about "accidental" babies. Furthermore, I find in pairs they tend to each pick a color and one will be green, the other brown. Just a weird thing I've noticed.

My recommendation is to get a captive-bred Whites Tree Frog because (1) it's not destructive to the environment like removing a frog from the wild; (2) it's less stressful for the frog as all they've ever known is captive life, so they adjust a lot better than a wild frog; and (3) wild frogs tend to be way more likely to have diseases and get sick.

It was really neat to get juveniles because I could watch them grow. My babies (Daphne and Dwight) went from being able to both fit in a tiny bowl, to a medium bowl that they then both couldn't fit in, to a large bowl. It's amazing as one alone could eventually not fit in the original bowl they both initially could fit in. That being said, they grow, and grow quickly. If you get juveniles, be sure your local pet store carries small enough food for them (some stores don't carry small enough crickets). Be prepared to up their food size eventually. Also, juveniles need to eat daily, adults do not, so juveniles are more care intensive initially. Juveniles you also can't tell the sex of, so you'll be playing a game of chance there. It isn't until they are adults with nuptial pads on the male you can tell. The other thing is, with juveniles it's tempting to start with a smaller cage because, well, they're small. Yet, they grow quickly and soon you'll be forking over more $$ to upgrade anyway, so I recommend starting with a tank big enough for a full-grown frog (or 2 full-grown frogs if you elect for a pair) so that you don't have to just upgrade the tank anyway.

I really don't think you can go wrong with juvenile vs. adult, or male vs. female. I will say this though, my males do love to call (the blow dryer, or a vacuum, or even the tv will set them off) and I absolutely love hearing their songs. If you would like this possibility, I recommend males, as the females really don't call (Dahlia will "call" for a couple second when someone is sitting on her head and she's mad).

No matter what, if you set up a good habitat, clean it regularly, provide fresh water daily, feed them well, keep a close eye on their health, keep temperature maintained as well as humidity, he or she should be a happy frog and can live a long, healthy life. Keep in mind too, these guys can live 10+ years, so they are a long-term commitment. The fact that you've already said you're "researching like crazy" is a great sign you are preparing yourself for the full care and best care of these little guys. I find them very rewarding and in fact, I plan to build a HUGE new terrarium for them (5+ feet fall, I hope!) for them soon. They're addicting little guys!

Lastly, don't overfeed them. They don't regulate themselves well in knowing when to stop and can become obese. For their own health, they shouldn't be overfed, and I also prefer to have mine have to be active to hunt because (1) it encourages natural behaviors; and (2) gets them exercising while hunting. However, many people hand feed their guys with tweezers or put them in a separate feeding cage. This has the advantage of being able to monitor closely how much they are consuming, and keeps the problem of dead crickets to a minimum. Also, I find if crickets aren't consumed quickly enough, they will get hungry and bite the frog, and I have had to give frogs oral and topical antibiotics to deal with the bite and subsequent infection. It's definitely a careful balance and you'll figure out what works best for you and your little friend.

8. This member thanks CamilleElise for this post:

kmichael55

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleElise View Post
    Hello Kate!

Whites are wonderful pets! I'm obsessed (I have 7, and got my first Whites over 20 years ago). I owned a lovely blue phase, Daphne, and sadly she passed away last month, but she was gorgeous (oh and very fat, I nicknamed her "Jaba the Hut").

I've never been familiar with a Whites being red. I've seen them dark, dark brown, or pale, pale green, or neon green, or shades of turquoise/blue. This makes me think the other frog was either very sick, or actually another species. It's always good to be sure to get healthy frogs (though I'm known to buy out my local pet store's supply pretty regularly as I feel they have sub-par care for their frogs).

I have had males, I have had females. I have bought captive bred babies, and I have bought full-grown adults. Personally I love them all! I hear rumor that males can become territorial, but I have never seen it. In fact, my boys tend to all curl up together every day inside the same hollowed-out log.

In my experience, I like keeping them in pairs. Some people say this isn't necessary, and perhaps it isn't, but I find they do tend to be social as they are often found sleeping near one another. I feel that it's because they like company (heck I would get lonely!). That being said, a lot of sources say pairs aren't necessary. They also don't breed easily (unless you set up a rain/monsoon tank) so you don't really have to worry about "accidental" babies. Furthermore, I find in pairs they tend to each pick a color and one will be green, the other brown. Just a weird thing I've noticed.

My recommendation is to get a captive-bred Whites Tree Frog because (1) it's not destructive to the environment like removing a frog from the wild; (2) it's less stressful for the frog as all they've ever known is captive life, so they adjust a lot better than a wild frog; and (3) wild frogs tend to be way more likely to have diseases and get sick.

It was really neat to get juveniles because I could watch them grow. My babies (Daphne and Dwight) went from being able to both fit in a tiny bowl, to a medium bowl that they then both couldn't fit in, to a large bowl. It's amazing as one alone could eventually not fit in the original bowl they both initially could fit in. That being said, they grow, and grow quickly. If you get juveniles, be sure your local pet store carries small enough food for them (some stores don't carry small enough crickets). Be prepared to up their food size eventually. Also, juveniles need to eat daily, adults do not, so juveniles are more care intensive initially. Juveniles you also can't tell the sex of, so you'll be playing a game of chance there. It isn't until they are adults with nuptial pads on the male you can tell. The other thing is, with juveniles it's tempting to start with a smaller cage because, well, they're small. Yet, they grow quickly and soon you'll be forking over more $$ to upgrade anyway, so I recommend starting with a tank big enough for a full-grown frog (or 2 full-grown frogs if you elect for a pair) so that you don't have to just upgrade the tank anyway.

I really don't think you can go wrong with juvenile vs. adult, or male vs. female. I will say this though, my males do love to call (the blow dryer, or a vacuum, or even the tv will set them off) and I absolutely love hearing their songs. If you would like this possibility, I recommend males, as the females really don't call (Dahlia will "call" for a couple second when someone is sitting on her head and she's mad).

No matter what, if you set up a good habitat, clean it regularly, provide fresh water daily, feed them well, keep a close eye on their health, keep temperature maintained as well as humidity, he or she should be a happy frog and can live a long, healthy life. Keep in mind too, these guys can live 10+ years, so they are a long-term commitment. The fact that you've already said you're "researching like crazy" is a great sign you are preparing yourself for the full care and best care of these little guys. I find them very rewarding and in fact, I plan to build a HUGE new terrarium for them (5+ feet fall, I hope!) for them soon. They're addicting little guys!

Lastly, don't overfeed them. They don't regulate themselves well in knowing when to stop and can become obese. For their own health, they shouldn't be overfed, and I also prefer to have mine have to be active to hunt because (1) it encourages natural behaviors; and (2) gets them exercising while hunting. However, many people hand feed their guys with tweezers or put them in a separate feeding cage. This has the advantage of being able to monitor closely how much they are consuming, and keeps the problem of dead crickets to a minimum. Also, I find if crickets aren't consumed quickly enough, they will get hungry and bite the frog, and I have had to give frogs oral and topical antibiotics to deal with the bite and subsequent infection. It's definitely a careful balance and you'll figure out what works best for you and your little friend.

WOW! Thank you soo much, that was an awesomely thorough answer!! Now all I have to consider is whether to get 1 or 2!!

I'm hooked on vertical vivarium construction after checking out everyone's awesome setups, so I'd do a 20Long (Tall) for a pair or a 10 for a single guy (yes guy, I also love the calls, good point!)

I'm planning on going to the Cleveland Reptile Expo on Sept. 16th, hopefully I'll find my new friend(s) there. So we'll see if I fall in love with an already grown fella with personality, but watching babies grow is always fun.

I agree on natural hunting instinct, that's how I've always fed. I've never felt the need to handle or interact with my guys too much (although from what I understand, white's are more tolerant of handling??)

And again, THANK you so much! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you once I get them!

Rae

Whites are bigger than most tree frogs and need more than 10gallons per frog. Id get the 20gallon for 1... you could get away with a 30 for 2... but a 40 is better

kmichael55

You're right, thanks. I will use my 20 long as a vertical which will give him 30" tall with a 12X12 footprint.

CamilleElise

No problem! I'm quite a verbose person (as you might have guessed). I'm glad you are so dedicated to doing the research required for these creatures. They truly are amazing to care for and watch.

Good luck at the Reptile Expo, sadly my local one did not have Whites last year (I'm hoping for better success this year!). Personally, I find them pretty easy to fall in love with.

Whites are more tolerant of handling, but as with any frog they have sensitive skin and should be handle sparingly and with care because they may soak up anything on your hands. My little guys are a still a bit wild as I haven't handled them so much, but I love sneaking into the dark area where their tank is late at night, and turning on the light. They are usually all out, hunting, climbing, and are so fun to watch for a minute. Keep us updated on how your search for new friends goes. They are well-worth the dedication.

kmichael55

I got him today!! (I hope he's a him) He's about an inch and a quarter long, pretty blue and tons of spots!

Here's his temporary set up (until I get more plants and etc. plus the glass in this 10G is pretty scratched and I know he'll need a larger tank as he grows):

Rae

Do I see a fake antler in there lol. Cute frog... I'd name him freckles hehe... but seriously does he/she have a name?

kmichael55

Yup haha I actually included the other of the set in my Gray tree frog enclosure, seemed like an easy to clean/non decaying branch!

No name yet, still thinking... possibly Alfonso Ribeiro

kmichael55

Hey quit with the pictures!

Thread Information