Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fire belly toads dying

lizarddude

Default fire belly toads dying

hey guys. i have had 4 different fire bellies at different times. i usually buy them in pairs from the same place and house them together. about a year ago one of my last pair died, and i have one left. recently this one has gotten very skinny, its legs are skinny and i can see an outline on his back of the chest i guess, with the rest of the stuff kinda hanging off. this has happened to every single toad i have had. i feed them crickets, with coco husk soil, a 50/50 water land setup, a bridge in the water and a heater. i also have a floresent light on top with uvb. is there anything i am doing wrong?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: fire belly toads dying

Are you using coco husk or coco fiber? Coco husk can cause impaction if the toads accidentally ingest some while feeding. Are you gut loading and dusting the crickets with vitamins and calcium? Is the water dechlorinated? What are your temps? Can you post pics of the toad and the tank?

MantisMan

could be many things
    make sure the light isnt too strong, and that they are being kept between 66 and 74 degrees, i dont think the heater is needed
    be sure they r moist enough but do not use tap water
    be sure the daylight photoperiod is at least 13 hours
    he could've swallowed the coco husk chunks, he could be getting old, or u could be buying from a bad dealer who sells sick, parasitized wild caughts
    i breed these guys so if they spawn again do u want me to send u firebelly toad tadpoles or toadlets next year??

lizarddude

it is eco earth, so its like little granuals of coconut husk. we gut load the crickets with the powder food stuff and calcium jell, but do not dust. the water is dechlorinated. the water heater is the only source of heat and the water is about 65 or 70 degrees. i will check it tommorow with the temperature probe. i will also upload pictures tommorow

MantisMan

ok i would just use good old spaghmum moss or peat moss over gravel or a completely aquatic setup with a log or rock for land
    and i would use a lamp for heat, remove the water heater
    get a lamp of some sort and put it over the tank with a 40 or 60 watt bulb
    they will be much happier that way

lizarddude

what about the problem with the crickets going into the spaghnum? also i only have one now. one of them died from swallowing a small stone so i switched to coco fiber, and then this one was fine for a while but then he started deteriorating

FriedrichsFrogs

Alex made a good point about where your buying from. The tank setup could be tweaked but just to be absolutely sure i would change your FBT source, thats just too odd that all of your guys r dying off shortly after being purchased.

lizarddude

they arent dying off shortly after being purchased though. its been about a year and a half since i got this one

FriedrichsFrogs

oohhh...well in that case a tank tweak might suffice

Hoppity100

I just found your post and wanted to share: my FB's have eco earth fiber substrate, my package does not use the word "husk" so I presume the kind I have is ok? Mine says "reptile" and shows pictures of other amphibians plus frogs. This was the only choice at the store and I did not know of one called husk. Our stores do not sell the live moss, is there a substitute for moss? I have some strands of live plants for them to crawl on when they're in water. I have 60 land/40 water. I also read frogs don't need heat but most sources say they like it warm and humid. I have the smallest submersible heater so my water is 75-76 degrees and they must like it, they do spend alot of time in water. We also go thru winter here, all the more reason to keep them toasty with some himidity. So, lizarddude: sounds like your tank needs adjustment: I use eco earth fiber reptile substrate, but I am assuming the type you have with husk means yours has bigger chunks or shreds? I bought this because our darn stores don't sell live moss. If anyone thinks of a substitute for moss besides eco earth fiber, please let me know. For you: how close is your light to the frogs? Can you try a different light other than uv? Maybe there's more radiation. I have a lamp next to my tank with 25 w bulb and my water is heated. Mine eat crickets and worms. Do you have another store to buy frogs from? I would try changing your light source. Can you write and let me know if you made changes and if they helped? Thanks

kroberts009

SORRY EVERYONE COULDNT FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE A NEW POST, BUT HAD AN IMPORTANT QUESTION! slightly concerned, while feed my firebellies mealworms this evening. one of them darted at my hand and picked up a piece of gravel instead. (a pink-purple rock) before i could take the piece out of its mouth, he swallowed it. from what i gathered from the part sticking out, it was roughly small-medium cricket sized. not much i can do at this point is there? if someone can respond ide appreciate them being sent to kroberts009@yahoo.com thank you!

Hoppity100

Did you try patting him on his back?

Hoppity100

With dogs you give them small amount H2O2 to induce vomiting, can you try giving your frog a few drops with an eye dropper? I don't know if this will work for a frog but t works on my dog. Let me know how your frog is please.

kroberts009

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppity100 View Post
    With dogs you give them small amount H2O2 to induce vomiting, can you try giving your frog a few drops with an eye dropper? I don't know if this will work for a frog but t works on my dog. Let me know how your frog is please.

he is currently sitting at the side of his enclosure like normal. however, its been about an hour since i fed him and he still hasnt eaten the two meal worms i provided him with. he is in his enclosure alone, therefore i know for a fact he hasnt eaten them. i am in fact pretty concerned, because its an extrememly misfortunate situation. going to continue doing some research. the hydrogen peroxide is the best theory or idea i have at the moment, but i wasnt aware that frogs could vomit? going to do some research on this first, and probably put in a few calls to my petstore

MantisMan

if u can gently pick him up and rub his belly to feel for the stone, u might be able to push it up and make him regurgitate it
    otherwise, bring him to a vet and remove the mealworms, they r bad food for them anyways

kroberts009

thank you for the prompt response. i will see if i can gently feel the stone in there. hopefully he will regurgitate it. i had no idea meal worms were bad for them. thank you for the information. really concerned and hopefull that things work out ok.

kroberts009

couldnt feel a rock in there.... but he did decide he was hungry enough to eat his worms (he ate them before i got there) so going to carefully monitor over the next few days, and PRAY we get through this... making a trip to the petstore, and removing the rocks as soon as possible!

Hoppity100

Okay, only other thing would be a laxative and if there is an obstruction, the laxative may not work depending on location of obstruction. Do you have peroxide? Other problem is getting it into his mouth, you'd have to hold him and have someone open his mouth. Can you remove your gravel? Replace it with eco earth or live moss. Write when you find out what you can do for him, I hope he is alright.
    '

kroberts009

i am going to head into the pet store tomorrow and purchase some new enclosure materials and get rid of the gravel. while researching it seems gravel swallowing is pretty common, i didnt know this. at least i know now, and can correct the problem.

he has decided to eat, and his enclosure was cleaned this morning. so perhaps i will wait a little to do anything to see if i can find any feces in his tank.

will let you know what ends up happening to him!

thank you very much everyone for your feedback! i really appreciate it!

Hoppity100

Oh thank you for letting me know, you're doing the right thing! Hope he keeps eating. Its ok if you write later to let me know how he is doing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information