Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fire belly toads dying

kroberts009

Default Re: fire belly toads dying

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppity100 View Post
    Oh, I see...so they love their moss. If I could find a store that sold moss, I'd get some, too. Yeah, about eggs...if I find any I will remove them. Babies would be great but, my tank could not house them. If it were warm outside and they had babies I could donate them to our goldfish pond in a park about 1/2 mile away. We had tadpoles for the kids years ago and when they got big enough we took them to the pond. Boy, were they happy! I would be surprised if my frogs had eggs, eventhough I hear chirping every night, they are busy looking out the window or looking at stuff on the buffet table they are on. I have plants around them and it probably looks like a jungle to them. They probably would like to get out of that tank and be free.
    mine dont make any noise at this point. but weve only had them since the beginning of september. they get a mixture of moss (the dry kind we add water too and it like turns back into regular moss) anyways so they get a mixture of moss and fake plants mixed and floating in their water. usually they only hide under the fake plants.. now that its getting colder i see them trying to bury themselves under the moss. LOL I had to pick the enclosure up today to make sure i could see a red belly.. i had to make sure it did not escape

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I feed mine earthworms, placing them on a flat rock (the worms that is) so they don't wriggle away too quickly. My tank base is bark & compost covered with moss. My FB's are 20 years old & eat about 3 or 4 worms each a week, sometimes more. What they don't eat wriggles away.

kroberts009

Quote Originally Posted by jen63 View Post
    I feed mine earthworms, placing them on a flat rock (the worms that is) so they don't wriggle away too quickly. My tank base is bark & compost covered with moss. My FB's are 20 years old & eat about 3 or 4 worms each a week, sometimes more. What they don't eat wriggles away.
    wow, i am amazed that you have firebelies that are 20 years old. you must do an amazing job with them!

Hoppity100

Did I read that right? Your FB's are 20 years old? If so, mine could outlive me! How big is a frog that age? Mine are about 2"+ in body size then legs are another 1.5" or so. I give mine a wax worm every day just about. I have one skinny frog (he was shipped that way) so I give him more worms. I have a problem with earthworms: they're so big I had to cut them, then frogs didn't go for it because they did not wiggle long enough. So, I'm back to making weekly cricket visits once a week again, plus wax worms or mealworms. Too bad flies are so hard to catch...

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Did I read that right? Your FB's are 20 years old? If so, mine could outlive me! How big is a frog that age? Mine are about 2"+ in body size then legs are another 1.5" or so. I give mine a wax worm every day just about. I have one skinny frog (he was shipped that way) so I give him more worms. I have a problem with earthworms: they're so big I had to cut them, then frogs didn't go for it because they did not wiggle long enough. So, I'm back to making weekly cricket visits once a week again, plus wax worms or mealworms. Too bad flies are so hard to catch...
    I can remember the day I got my first FB, he was in a tank of salamanders & the shop owner didn't know he was there! I was at college, 20 years ago. I got another to keep him company the same year, from a breeder. The one from the shop soon fattened up. He is still fat & very bright colours. The one from the breeder is thinner & dull. They haven't changed at all! They have a light on most of the evening, a little pond, lots of moss, wood & the flat stone that I feed them on. They have fairly small worms, (2 inches max) & I always make sure they have eaten up. Sometimes I have to keep pushing the worm in front of them, they might show no interest at all then suddenly change their minds & eat. I tried mealworms when we had snow, but they don't like the legs.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thanks, but I think I'm just keeping it simple. They just eat worms. I've never given them any supplements / minerals although they do get a bit of dirt from the worm now & again.

Hoppity100

Oh, that is so neat! I have 4 FB's and all get along. They're having a cricket fest tonight and I changed their water today. My tank is very similar to yours without moss. I have strands of real plants in their pond and driftwood, treehouse, rocks, fake plants, dry land area of eco earth. I have a small lamp next to my tank for evening since they are near a window they get natural light in the daytime. FB's are alot more fun than the RCC's I had, and I thought they were entertaining. I like hearing the chirping every night. Mine like either wax or mealworms, their favorite is crickets. I tried earthworms but that really failed: the worms were way too big. Even after cutting they did not wiggle long enough.

I surrounded myself in pets because its good for me, I will be facing empty nest syndrome within a year, so pets are going to be my company. I also have a dog and cat, fish, hermits. Its enough to keep me busy all the time. I check everyone every day. My cat is a young stray that was crying out at night in the cold. She is thin and is so happy inside the house! Tonight she is getting salmon with her canned food. I gave her boiled chicken the other nights with canned food. She also got to taste tuna. Today I made a scratch post myself and bought her toys. She is less than a year old. I can't imagine her story.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Wow, I've got 3 strays myself! They all turned up at different times & sort of get on with each other.
    I have a tame wild toad, he's really big & lives in a plant pot in the garden, but he's hibernating for winter. He has the most beautiful golden eyes & eats worms out my hand.
    My other half thinks I'm mental. Can't think why!

Hoppity100

I think many other halves do, mine does! You have 3 strays? kept indoors? Any tips for a new cat owner? I think I have enough supplies for my cat: scratch post, food, litter box, kitty harness and small leash (she is afraid to be outside again), toys, and all I need are treats. The post I made today looks pretty good. It was wood covered in navy denim with ribbons attached to the top and a small plush animal. I also strung a jingle bell from closet door for her to bat around. She has a new ball and catnip toy with a feather. I'm trying to occupy her when I'm not around. Tip: when my other half thinks I'm mental, he gets hamburger helper ( he hates that )! LOL

kroberts009

haha, i just laughed out oud, about when your half thinks your mental, you feed him hamburger helper! my family gets that when its beena long day and im being lazy

its always nice hearing what other people have and how they are going about doing it! sounds like you have one lucky little stray kitty! sounds like you have most of the basics and some extras covered. we always used to like playing with one of the cat toys thats a pole with a string hanging down and has some small item on the end. makes for some good memories, just watch your couch and other upholstered items! they work as good scratching posts too!

our household has, 2 birds (parakeet and cockatiel), a red eared slider, sucker fish for turtle tank, a common boa, the 2 firebellies, and 2 leopard geckos at the moment. fighting hard not to get anything else at least too quickly!

Hoppity100

Glad you liked my hamburger helper idea! I can always add brussels sprouts to it (laughing). You have other pets, too? Watch that sucker fish...we had one that outgrew a 20 gal tank and became 14" long, had to be donated to pet store with huge tank. The cat is one pet I never had due to allergies. Now, for some reason, no sneezing with this cat, she even slept on my bed all night and was in my face. A lovely cat to have, too. I have gotten all the necessaries for her, and she was a wish come true for me, found her a few days before my birthday. Older daughter gave away a cat I cared for some months ago when husband blamed sneezing on cat. Husband has been sneezing for 2 years! I told him that is why there is Claritin. He just didn't want me to have a cat! My son is allergic, so we keep his door closed. Cat is in another bedroom. Even the dog likes her!

Our shelters are always full and there are many ads for free cats. I worry about all of them going to the wrong home. Wish I could take more in, but with dog, fish, hermits, frogs, oh and husband (he's a pet, too) I am busy. He is what we call the "typical man", can't share territory with homeless animal. Well, he is now! I am holding my ground on this one! Frankly, he is jealous I spend so much time with my pets and I'd rather be with them, they aren't cranky. I'd rather sleep with them, too. Heck, I'd rather sleep with 29 possums than the husband (LOL). He's more cranky than 3 6 ft. sharks stuffed into an 8x8 ft. aquarium. I see more than hamburger helper in his future...maybe I could get a camel and he could sleep with it. I'll take my dog and cat and sleep with them! At least they don't snore...

kroberts009

yeah, im well aware of how big our sucker fish can get. apparently up to 2 feet. LOL... as long as he keeps doing his job. ill contine making upgrades for him. botht he turtle and the fish are under 2 inches at the moment. i think weve got some time

Hoppity100

You have him in 2" of water? How big is he now? Are your turtles small? I have my FB's pond 3" deep. The sucker fish grows slow enough that you do have time. I have rainbow sharks and I'm watching them, too. Had an albino rainbow that grew to 3.5" in about 2 mos so he was donated. He was in charge of the whole tank because he was the biggest fish and he kept bothering the tank mates. The remaining fish are so relieved they had to lay down in the plants LOL. Well, first they partied...

kroberts009

You have him in 2" of water? How big is he now? Are your turtles small? I have my FB's pond 3" deep. The sucker fish grows slow enough that you do have time. I have rainbow sharks and I'm watching them, too. Had an albino rainbow that grew to 3.5" in about 2 mos so he was donated. He was in charge of the whole tank because he was the biggest fish and he kept bothering the tank mates. The remaining fish are so relieved they had to lay down in the plants LOL. Well, first they partied...
    we have one turtle, and one sucker fish in the same tank. they share a 10 gallon at the moment and they are both at most 2 inches in length. their water is on average at least 3.5 inches deep maybe 4, right now since they got a full water change they are at 4.5 inches deep. our turtle also spends a lot of time out of the water on his dock! haha turtle gets on the top of the dock, fish gets the bottom. lol we named the turtle tiny because of how small he/she is... cant wait until its about a foot in length!

my firebellies just got an upgraded home complete with filter and heater (was worried about the hibernation, that we discuss a while back) since their switch yesterday morning... they are hiding under their home... lol right on top of eachother. (they got reunited yesterday) after just over 2 months of being apart. they have not taken advantage of their water yet, which is about 3.5 inches deep as well.

Hoppity100

Oh, sounds good! My FB's have not hibernated and we are on the close edge to winter. Mine have heated water and I think I'll see if any would like a worm before I go to bed. Our sucker fish was in a 20 gal tank when he got too large. We got him around 3" and ofcourse were first time fish owners, this was 20 years ago. Even then stores were not able to warn people of this fish. I miss that tank, but I'm happy with my 10 gal, that's all I can handle with my other pets. I had a turtle as a kid, it was my favorite pet until he got out one day when my mom said I should put him in the back yard. I was too young to pay attention and he got away. Probably the happiest he's ever been!

kroberts009

awww poor turtle, but i bet he felt free..all of our animals are for the most part undera year (i think sammy our cockatiel is the eldest, at a year and a half) so we have a little time before we all get to adult stages... at which time, we will all get upgraded homes... and then my horrible mind, says i have homes to fill! lol

FrogFriend

Hey Hoppity! I just heard about your stray kitty! I wanted to tell you, I have gone out and bought so much stuff for kitties over the years and here is what I have found, they are like little children! You open up their toy and the kitty plays with the box, the twisty ties and the plastic wrap, but goes nowhere near the the toy! Here are things my kitties LOVE: paper balls (roll up ANY paper that is small enough to fit in their mouths, it has to be able to fit in their mouth because they love to walk around with it and change locations), the toilet roll when the paper is gone (my kitten loves this! It's small enough to fit in her mouth but long enough for her to give one end a smack and see it spin in the air), milk carton rings (again, small enough to fit in the mouth but too big to swallow and makes a fun scrape sound when it gets batted around), twistie ties from bread or toy packages...and I know there are more but that's what my 3 play with right now. There is one thing that I do always buy and it gets used- that is the scratching boards, they are like cardboard box sides pressed together. They love this, and of course the catnip on it helps. LOL! Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up. I am fairly knowledgeable about the feline world, so let me know if you have any questions.

19. This member thanks FrogFriend for this post:

Hoppity100

Oh I am so glad you wrote! This is my first kitty and I've been reading about cats on the internet. I have given mine toys but will try the paper and toilet paper roll. She is the coolest cat ever! She sleeps with me every night and I have not even sneezed yet! I have water and my inhaler next to my bed and all I ever need is itch cream because she bites my hand and scratches it every night. She also wants to play at 3 am when I am trying to sleep. I got her some new treats today and can still find her more toys. This cat I felt so sorry for, she was out when we had 4 cold nights and had a distress cry. She is grateful to me and shows me this every day. I will call the vet and make an appt because she has an expiratory sound that seems like she is not controlling it, it is not a pur but another sound. I had the window cracked because the bedroom is warm and it has been warm here till Wed, then it will be in the 30's again.

Her stool sample was neg and she has been eating and toileting just fine. She is so lucky to have me and be inside the house. I am just waiting for the bad weather to hit and gosh, I feel so good about finding her! Any tips on favorite food for cats like sardines? or liverwurst? or fish? I made a scratch post but she has not used it yet, maybe sand paper would be best. Anything else you can think of I would appreciate. It was suggested by the vet to give her a bath in the sink not tub, I can try it. I just wish I could get her into a cat carrier by myself so I could take her to the vet. I've tried and she is too smart to go in. Any help is great here....

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Sorry late in seeing your post! Your Kitty sounds like well loved. 2 of mine were ferals, so they had a problem coming in! Took some persuasion. The third little girl was dumped, pregnant, on the road & was hiding under a hedge. She's scared of loud noises, but all three are free to go out as I live in the country. Looking after strays / ferals is so rewarding, they really seem to appreciate their new comforts.

FrogFriend

I wish there was a dislike or sad face button for hearing bad/sad news. I don't like when people dump animals (in general) and especially don't like it if they dump pregnant animals. If you didn't want them to get pregnant then spay/neuter your pets!!! It's not that difficult people! And money isn't a good excuse because all over the country and Jen63 you can tell me this- but possibly the world they have discount or free spay/neuter clinics. Anyway...I am glad you took them in! I fostered orphaned kittens over the spring and summer and I also took on failure to thrive kittens. People would tell me that they never could do that because they couldn't send them back, my thought was always, how could I not? Yes, I lost some from illness taking them and it did hurt the heart. But at the same time, every kitten that didn't make it died being loved, in a warm home and held! I think that's how most of us would want to go! I don't regret it! I praise you and everyone else that opens their home and heart for a stray and especially for taking on an animal that many wouldn't give a chance. I had some semi-feral and definitely feral kittens. Most of them I was able to imprint and socialize. I pray that they find homes. Anywa, so glad for people like you Jen63!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information