Thread: 3 ADF deaths in 2 days in community tank!

Steph211

Default 3 ADF deaths in 2 days in community tank!

Hi,

I'm so glad I found this forum! I have posted on an aquarium forum, but didn't get much advice about ADFs there.

I just lost 3 ADFs in 2 days. I have a feeling it's due to a new frog I introduced to the tank a month ago (without quarantine --my bad, I've learned that lesson!). That frog died just over 2 weeks ago. Since then, in the past two days, I've lost my 3 other frogs, two of which I'd had for 2 years, one of which I've had for 8 months. They didn't appear to look funny (bloated, red leg, shreddy skin, etc.). They appeared pretty normal-looking just stiff as boards.

I tested the water with the API kit and everything looks good: 0 for ammonia and nitrite, less than 20ppm for nitrate. My tank's pH continues to be stable at 6.8-7.0. The temp. has been consistently around 75.

I did a 50% water change in my 20g tank, changed my Whisper carbon filter, added a capful of Stability and 4 tsp. of aquarium salt. I've also taken out the almost all the decorations (plastic plants and 2 hiding caves for the ADF's). What is the best way to clean those? I know I shouldn't use detergent or bleach, but at the same time, I'd like to get any bacteria or whatever off them.

Is there anything else I can do to clean the tank if this is a bacterial or fungal thing introduced by the newest frog? I should mention that I also have 7 cardinal tetras in the tank and they seem completely fine. Also I have a breeder net with 2 one-month-old tadpoles in it. Are the tadpoles doomed? What about the tetras? I don't have any other tank equipment to put them in right now.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Thanks for any advice you can pass on.

Steph

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Misschievou2

Default Re: 3 ADF deaths in 2 days in community tank!

Quote Originally Posted by Steph211 View Post
    Hi,

I'm so glad I found this forum! I have posted on an aquarium forum, but didn't get much advice about ADFs there.

I just lost 3 ADFs in 2 days. I have a feeling it's due to a new frog I introduced to the tank a month ago (without quarantine --my bad, I've learned that lesson!). That frog died just over 2 weeks ago. Since then, in the past two days, I've lost my 3 other frogs, two of which I'd had for 2 years, one of which I've had for 8 months. They didn't appear to look funny (bloated, red leg, shreddy skin, etc.). They appeared pretty normal-looking just stiff as boards.

I tested the water with the API kit and everything looks good: 0 for ammonia and nitrite, less than 20ppm for nitrate. My tank's pH continues to be stable at 6.8-7.0. The temp. has been consistently around 75.

I did a 50% water change in my 20g tank, changed my Whisper carbon filter, added a capful of Stability and 4 tsp. of aquarium salt. I've also taken out the almost all the decorations (plastic plants and 2 hiding caves for the ADF's). What is the best way to clean those? I know I shouldn't use detergent or bleach, but at the same time, I'd like to get any bacteria or whatever off them.

Is there anything else I can do to clean the tank if this is a bacterial or fungal thing introduced by the newest frog? I should mention that I also have 7 cardinal tetras in the tank and they seem completely fine. Also I have a breeder net with 2 one-month-old tadpoles in it. Are the tadpoles doomed? What about the tetras? I don't have any other tank equipment to put them in right now.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Thanks for any advice you can pass on.

Steph
    First off I would like to personally pass on my condolences for your losted little froggies. Anyone at this current time would be very upset and panicked and it is great you are seeking advice in other forums.

I am not familiar with African dwarf frogs but I can help you with the spread of this infection/fungus. I have a feeling that this killer is an virus or infection. Why? Usually fungus or any type of mold is present and easy to notice on surfaces of skin. But I think you should treat this as an unknown killer and do your best to clean the tank and plants in a last chance not to lose the rest of your loved ones.

I really do not feel comfortable using a bleach around the littles ones. Bleach does do a good job on hard surfaces for killing germs, mold, and viruses but bleach is very toxic to any animal and frogs can easily absorb even the slightest bit threw there skin and get toxed out and very sick.

Use a non-watered down vinegar with baking soda mix (which actually kills a whopping 82% of fungus and is safe around animals!) or a Hydrogen Poroxide (anti fungal anddddd anti viral! ;o) to clean out your tank and other items in the tank. Let the substance sit for a while and make circular scrubbing motions. The vinegar and baking soda mix can also help with hard water stains if you do have them. If it wouldn't stress the tetras and the tadpoles out I would place them in a temperary home until you make sure your tank is safe. I do not own any aquatic animals so I am not sure how conditioning of the water and the effect of newly 100% changed water would hurt them so please use discretion and your understanding of your aquatic frogs. My advice is strictly on cleaning and preventing the spread of infection. Good luck!

Steph211

Default Re: 3 ADF deaths in 2 days in community tank!

Thanks, Misschievou2! Just saw your response since the notification went to my spam folder. Thanks for your advice on cleaning the tank. I use vinegar and baking soda for most of my household cleaning to avoid harsh chemicals. I don't really want to break down the whole tank and start again though. For one, I don't have a back up tank to move the tadpoles and tetras to, and two, I don't really want to have to start the nitrogen cycle all over again in this one. That would be some major stress for the fish and tads. I ended up running the tank decor through the dishwasher and then rinsing, rinsing, and more rinsing, and letting them dry thoroughly. So far so good. All the tetras seem fine and the tadpoles look fine, though this is my first time raising tadpoles so who really knows? I'll just have to wait and see. I've decided not to add any new fish or frogs to the tank and see what happens. I don't know why the bacteria wouldn't be affecting the tetras or the tadpoles, unless it is some sort of bacteria that requires physical contact to transfer? I have no idea. I am really hoping to get myself a cheap 5g. set up so that in the future I will be able to quarantine any fish or frogs I buy before I release them into the community tank.

Thanks again for you condolences and advice!

Steph

Thread Information