Thread: Grey Tree Frog Having Difficulties Climbing

KingCam

Default Grey Tree Frog Having Difficulties Climbing

I recently brought my frogs back into room temperature and resumed feeding tonight for the first time this year. All of the frogs fed readily, but I'm noticing some strange behavior in one of my smaller frogs. He is trying desperately to escape, which is unusual for this frog, especially at feeding time. The most concerning part of this is his apparent lack of coordination and loss of "grip" or "stickiness" in his finger pads. He keeps falling off of things and can't climb any smooth surfaces. Holding him I can feel a bit of "grip" in the pads, but it's definitely diminished. I put him in the water to see if he just needed a wash or something. He swam at the edge, trying to climb out, unsuccessfully. He also looked like he was having a hard time swimming.

I have removed him from the others for now. I put him in a Tupperware container with a damp paper towel, some spring water, and a fake plant. As I type this he's trying frantically to escape. I've never observed this kind of behavior in this individual before.

His color appears normal, he's got tons of energy, very alert & responsive, and he accepted the first roach offered, but is refusing additional roaches.

His weight looks good for a frog coming out of brumation.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog Having Difficulties Climbing

Small update (mostly to serve as a bump). He seems to have settled down and is tucked away in a corner sleeping this morning.

KingCam

Well it would seem that no one cares, but just in case, here's an update. After spending the weekend in quarantine the frog seems to be doing much better. His grip has improved greatly. Before he couldn't even grip a piece of glass, now he can hang upside down from the glass He's still resisting feeding, but I managed to get him to eat 2 small roaches yesterday. After he ate I put him back with the others.

Hey Cam- please don't think no one cares. I remember reading your first post and honestly had nothing helpful to add so I was hoping someone with an idea of what's up would chime in. Time passes, the right people didn't manage to see your post, you slowly get bumped down from the top...etc...sorry you weren't able to get some input

I'm glad to hear he ate something and has gotten some of his sticky juju back. I hope he's continued to improve.

How many brumation cycles has this guy been though before?

I just saw this post tonight, so glad your little guy is doing much better, I would just keep watch but sounds like hes doing ok. He is a maaaaaajor cutie btw!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

LizardMama

Hey KingCam have you ever heard of giving a Crested Gecko a sauna? You know putting the Crested Gecko in a container with a damp paper towel then putting a top on and leaving the Gecko in there for 2-3 minutes. Try that with your frogs if they have problems gripping the glass of the cage they are in. Owners of Crested Geckos do the sauna baths when their Crested Geckos start slipping and sliding on the glass and can't get a good grip/suction on the glass (Crested Geckos are like Tree Frogs, they can climb the sides of a glass aquarium/cage). Hope your frog is doing well

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by LizardMama View Post
    Hey KingCam have you ever heard of giving a Crested Gecko a sauna? You know putting the Crested Gecko in a container with a damp paper towel then putting a top on and leaving the Gecko in there for 2-3 minutes. Try that with your frogs if they have problems gripping the glass of the cage they are in. Owners of Crested Geckos do the sauna baths when their Crested Geckos start slipping and sliding on the glass and can't get a good grip/suction on the glass (Crested Geckos are like Tree Frogs, they can climb the sides of a glass aquarium/cage). Hope your frog is doing well
    I might be now having a similar issue as Cam's frog was... any more details on this sauna would be appreciated... warm or cool water? how damp of paper towels? any holes in lid?

Thread Information