Thread: Burying??

spooky

Default Burying??

Hi All!
    I got my 2 adult White's 2 weeks ago. They seem to have settled in ok and I'm having no real problems with them. Exept that the smaller of the two never climbs. It spends all day sleeping half buried in the substrate. The other one climbs up and hides behind the terrarium background, and there's plenty of room for them both. Plus I have vines and silk plants and a real plant too. I noticed a small cut on one of his toes and have been keeping it clean (it's healing well, I pick substrate out of it daily). If I put him on a vine he's fine. He climbs well then. Any suggestions?? Humidity is currently at 60%. Not sure what temp it's at as thermometer is broken, but have a heat mat on side of terrarium and central heating is on. Any ideas why it's sleeping on the floor?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Burying??

Looks to me like the entire enclosure is extremely dry. Also, I am not certain what type of substrate that is, but it is a dangerous one to amphibians. That would be the equivalent of filling your bed with toothpicks.

I suggest you increase the humidity and provide a water dish a few inches deep in addition to a daily misting with water. I also highly suggest you remove that splintery wood substrate for something more frog friendly. The final issue is temperature. You really need to have a thermometer that works if you are using external heat.
    Arboreal frogs hiding on the ground is indicative of many different probable causes, but in this case I suspect the enclosure is too warm and dry for him and he is attempting to conserve water by hiding in the coolest place he can find.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

spooky

Thanks for the reply!
    I bought the substrate as it stated on the bag that it was recommended for amphibians (it's called forest floor bedding, and is 100% natural cypress mulch). When I opened it I thought it looked way too prickly, but as it cost a lot of money and says recommended for amphibians, I went with it. I do have a water bowl, which the frogs do use. The thermometer is a brand new one, I only got it 5 days ago so I'm peeved that it doesn't work..
    Also, I spray the terrarium twice a day all over. The substrate feels damp to the touch.
    Arrrrrrrrrrrgghh! I was doing sooooo well with the baby frogs, these adults are far more stressful lol
    I'll go to my local pet store tomorrow for a different substrate!!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't use cypress mulch, personally. Don't mind what they say on the package. And I agree with Johnny - too dry.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

I would exchange the brand new broken thermometer too!

spooky

Am definatly replacing thermometer! And substrate. I soaked all of the substrate last night, so it's nice and wet now. But not soggy. Also have not turned on lamp today, so I'm hoping that the frog will feel more comfy. Thanks for the advice! Don't know what I'd do without you guys sometimes!!!
    (How I kept my White's alive 12 years ago, I'll never know! had to rehome him when I was expecting my first baby as my ex didn't believe babies and frogs were a good mix.... Pah!!)

Kurt

And thats why he's an ex.

spooky

Yeah, one of many reasons lol

Thread Information