Thread: Mealworms As Only Food Source?

MelissaM

Default Mealworms As Only Food Source?

Hey guys!

I would like to get a pet frog. I live in a rural area, and I can only get mealworms as the main food source. Is there any type of frog that can survive (and be healthy) on mealworms only (and/or superworms)?

Thanks!
    Melissa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: Mealworms As Only Food Source?

Short answer? No. Mealworms have way too much shell, and not enough meat to be nutritious for your frog. Mealworms often cause impaction (consitpation) in your animals, which will lead to death if not dealt with properly. Try breeding your own roaches, they are easy to care for (way easier and cleaner than breeding crickets), provide plenty of nutrients, and my frogs absolutely love them!

MelissaM

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    Short answer? No. Mealworms have way too much shell, and not enough meat to be nutritious for your frog. Mealworms often cause impaction (consitpation) in your animals, which will lead to death if not dealt with properly. Try breeding your own roaches, they are easy to care for (way easier and cleaner than breeding crickets), provide plenty of nutrients, and my frogs absolutely love them!

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, it is illegal in Canada to keep roaches. (I don't think I could keep them anyway. I'm terrified of most insects! )

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM View Post
    Unfortunately, it is illegal in Canada to keep roaches.
    That's silly. Even tropical species that could never reproduce or even survive a Canadian winter?

I don't think I could keep them anyway. I'm terrified of most insects!
    Yeah, I'm scared of roaches, too. hahahaha If they weren't such a cheap and efficient way to keep my animals fed I definitely wouldn't keep them in my house.

MelissaM

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    That's silly. Even tropical species that could never reproduce or even survive a Canadian winter?
    I'm not certain, but I believe it includes all species. Although, I do agree that they probably would not survive in Canada!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm not certain, but I believe it includes all species. Although, I do agree that they probably would not survive in Canada!
    you may have to try and order some crickets and breed the yourself then My Western Toad also loves to eat earthworms. I think some species of toads and frogs really enjoy eating worms and they don't have an exoskeleton so they are easier to digest. If you want to feed a diet which includes mealworms you might want to consider getting a toad since a lot of toads are designed to eat a lot of hard bodied insects in the wild like beetles and spiders. I feed my toad crickets and worms on alternating days and then I'll cut the heads off of one or two superworms (apparently their biting jaws can do damage to a frog's stomach) so he only gets one or two superworms a week and seems to handle them well.

Hoppity100

Quote Originally Posted by xStatic View Post
    you may have to try and order some crickets and breed the yourself then My Western Toad also loves to eat earthworms. I think some species of toads and frogs really enjoy eating worms and they don't have an exoskeleton so they are easier to digest. If you want to feed a diet which includes mealworms you might want to consider getting a toad since a lot of toads are designed to eat a lot of hard bodied insects in the wild like beetles and spiders. I feed my toad crickets and worms on alternating days and then I'll cut the heads off of one or two superworms (apparently their biting jaws can do damage to a frog's stomach) so he only gets one or two superworms a week and seems to handle them well.

When you mention earthworms, do you mean finding them in the yard? If so, I'd rather do that than give my frogs meal worms and crickets. Tomorrow I will go to another pet store and buy what they described as soft worms, I forgot what they are called though. But, if earthworms from my yard are ok, let me know. I don't like chasing crickets around in their box with my long tweezers, I have to think of a better way to keep crickets, they're crazy to catch!

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppity100 View Post
    When you mention earthworms, do you mean finding them in the yard? If so, I'd rather do that than give my frogs meal worms and crickets. Tomorrow I will go to another pet store and buy what they described as soft worms, I forgot what they are called though. But, if earthworms from my yard are ok, let me know. I don't like chasing crickets around in their box with my long tweezers, I have to think of a better way to keep crickets, they're crazy to catch!
    Unfortunately the worms and other invertebrates that live in our yard are unsafe to feed to our pets. It is very likely that these worms and insects are exposed to pesticides or other chemicals that can be very harmful to amphibians. With enough chemical buildup it can be lethal to the frog. So I do not recommend catching critters around a house, park, etc. It may not worth the risk to your pet's health.

Hoppity100

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    Unfortunately the worms and other invertebrates that live in our yard are unsafe to feed to our pets. It is very likely that these worms and insects are exposed to pesticides or other chemicals that can be very harmful to amphibians. With enough chemical buildup it can be lethal to the frog. So I do not recommend catching critters around a house, park, etc. It may not worth the risk to your pet's health.
    I won't get worms from our yard eventhough we don't use chemicals, I'm going to the store today to buy the soft worms and will check for a selection of canned foods, I read somewhere canned worms and other insects are sold. I have to see this for myself. But, I don't want to risk my pets either, can call around to see who sells earthworms. Thanks for writing.

Namio

call around to see who sells earthworms.
    Some pet shops, fishing bait shops, and Walmart sell Canadian nightcrawlers. Make sure you get the dye-free kind.

Hoppity100

Smile Re: Mealworms As Only Food Source?

Some pet shops, fishing bait shops, and Walmart sell Canadian nightcrawlers. Make sure you get the dye-free kind.
    Okay, thanks for the warning, this worm thing is new to me!

Namio

Okay, thanks for the warning, this worm thing is new to me!
    Oh yeah not a problem I am glad to help! I've received plenty of help on here so I'm glad to give decent advice to others.

FriedrichsFrogs

I don't like chasing crickets around in their box with my long tweezers, I have to think of a better way to keep crickets, they're crazy to catch!
    lol they are a bit of a pain. Usually ill use a dixie cup to scoop them up one-by-one out of my plastic bug-keeper box i have for them + quickly toss the criket into the tank before it climbs out of the cup, its all in the wrist. Lately tho ive been just cutting the corner off of the little baggie they come in from the pet store because i left my bug-keeper at my x's house. Anyway i can regulate how many i shake into the tank with that so mayb ill just stick to using this method, its cleaner too... just as long as you pay attention to any that might jump out of the bag when you take it away from the tank.

Hoppity100

Oh yeah not a problem I am glad to help! I've received plenty of help on here so I'm glad to give decent advice to others.
    Glad to hear, I do have a few questions: one fire belly I have is skinnier than the other so could this mean a different sex, or age, or that he has not gotten enough food while in the store? The fat one is a vivid green and the skinny one that was vivid when I bought them is a little darker today and he is alert. I am waiting for worms to move so I can offer him one. And, is there a reason the frogs should not eat every day? Mine eat anytime, is there a reason to spread their feeding to every other day or so? Thanks

Thread Information