Thread: New baby/juvy American Toad (wtf?)

Duriel

Cool New baby/juvy American Toad (wtf?)

Was taking out the trash and this little guy skittered out from under the can. I pick up my trash to take it to the curb because I am all that is man... or dragging things and making lots of noise just annoys me. Either way. If I dragged it (bout 40-50 lbs), he would be paste on my driveway (and then I'd have to fight my puppy to not eat it on walks...)

This is a little odd, because it's October and it's been pretty cold around here lately. It only got up to about 55 today. I'd expect toads to be burrowing to keep warm. He's a little under an inch, which is also strange, as I thought this species didn't breed so late in the year. Weeeeeird...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Misschievou2

Default Re: New baby/juvy American Toad (wtf?)

Keep him! He is super precious <3. Plus I doubt he will make it much longer in the weather you are having. He probably was born the same time the others where but didn't get enough food so didn't grow nearly as big.

Duriel

Quote Originally Posted by Misschievou2 View Post
    Keep him! He is super precious <3. Plus I doubt he will make it much longer in the weather you are having. He probably was born the same time the others where but didn't get enough food so didn't grow nearly as big.
    Oh I'm keeping him (her?). Your post (bolded part) kinda scares me though as I had an American bullfrog die (proper care etc) that was about 1/3 the size of a normal froglet (if you've seen photos of their tadpoles, you can appreciate my "wtf" on that). my parents came to visit and brought an old 10G and 20G L that were collecting dust (mostly spiders, but some dust I assume?) in the crawlspace. I'll quarantine him/her for a bit in the 10G and put it in the toad enclosure. The larger toads coexist happily with 4 random treefrogs (local... closest ID would be Cricket Treefrogs). It seems American toads are not cannibalistic (or "semi" cannibalistic, as if we were to eat Homo Erectus...). It might just be because I feed them regularly and all that, but they don't have the reputation that American bullfrogs have (I have 4).

Duriel

Maybe not keeping for long. He has red leg. Really slowing down. Probably won't last the day.

Misschievou2

Quote Originally Posted by Duriel View Post
    Maybe not keeping for long. He has red leg. Really slowing down. Probably won't last the day.
    aw... so sad.. keep me undated! poor lil dude.

Duriel

Odd. He "appears" to be healing. Much of the redness is gone and the string-like growth over the red has disappeared. He appropriately flees from me now and has plenty of energy. He also ate 4 small crickets. Yesterday his breathing was slow to the point I thought he was dead. Nudged him and he ended up on his back. If I poked his stomach he'd move a little and take a gasp of air. From what I've read, red leg is pretty much a death sentence. Let's see if he heals completely.

Misschievou2

Yea - usually it is a death sentence but if he is healing that is a good sign that maybe he doesn't have red leg after all? Who knows .

Duriel

Well it's decreasing in size but it is reddening of the crotch and inner thighs. Frogs I've had in the past that showed these symptoms died very quickly. I might have only slowed it down by giving him a good soaking (hadn't rained in a week and he WAS living under my trash can... which has bags of puppy poop in it, so if the cause was bacterial, I can safely point a finger in that direction). I should have taken pics but I honestly believed I'd be taking "autopsy" photos last night (okay just cause of death photos... not cutting him open).

FriedrichsFrogs

i hope he pulls through, american toads were my first amphibian pets id hate to see the litle guy not make it

Duriel

Still improving. Even less reddening than previously. I've decided to move him to a critter keeper I have handy. Right now he's in a storage box with a few hides and some water for soaking in the natural depression. I think I can let him have a burrowing substrate now. I was concerned before over whatever made him sick contaminating the substrate. On a side note, it's been warm and rainy and I am thinking of releasing 2-3 of my 4 bullfrogs. I simply don't have the money/space for separate enclosures and one is growing "steadily", while one is becoming monstrous and the other two don't seem to be growing much at all (size difference suggests they might be edible...) One of them (second largest) also (perplexingly) spends nearly 100% of her time on the land portion... to the point where, at every feeding, I poke her to make sure she isn't dead (she's very human-tolerant... unlike the biggest one which will jump into the water if she sees me 20 feet away). Just thinking it might be best to release some before the weather gets bad. Doesn't help that I've lost some of my financial aid (college) and am soon to be in court (long story).

FriedrichsFrogs

well thats good news. sorry to hear about ur financial aid that sounds like a mess, hope u get what u deserve out of it.

Duriel

Sorry to say he died overnight. Really odd... all the red was gone, he was eating, soaking, and very active (as in fleeing from me). I'm no vet (and there are no herp vets nearby), but from what I've read on redleg, they can appear to heal but still have organ failure. Maybe I should stop bringing in unusually small/late in the season frogs... speaking of which, I brought in what seems to be a baby gray treefrog just tonight. I'm more confident about this one as my backyard was full of them.

FriedrichsFrogs

aw no way, sorry to hear that man its a shame. wow u really have some lucky finds just a few feet from your house. Hope you have better results from the new tree frog!

Duriel

Yeah I live not far from a lake and it's a rural area (treeline behind my house + a farm) so amphib population is quite high. There was also a strange lizard on my roof with an iridescent blue tail. Unfortunately, with all this neat stuff comes a lot of unpleasant bugs. Mostly flies, fruit flies, moths (fly paper was filling up in days so I bought a plug-in zapper), unusually (to me) large wolf spiders (why are so many in my house? There's almost no land-dwelling bugs for them to eat..), a single brown recluse (kept moving boxes in closet for the next time I have en ebay extravaganza... changed my mind), and ****ing red velvet flightless wasps. Of course the frogs are doing their best at the base of my house nomming away, but it's a losing battle, especially for the larger critters that only a large American toad or near/adult bullfrog could eat (of which I have seen none). As a result (and a recent, highly improbable "jumping-spider-in-my-eye" event), I spray toxic chemicals in the "entry" points to my house that frogs cannot reach, as opposed to making some napalm and straight burning the brush behind my house down (if no frogs... might consider it lol). And I know some people are against capturing wild frogs, but after a good rain, even on my sparsely populated gravel side-street, there's hundreds of smashed frogs.

On a side note, if it were in any way feasible (and also wouldn't make visitors think I was grade A insane), I would have frogs and lizards roaming my house and garage. Drove my vette today and when I got out of it, I thought someone had keyed/hit my car or something, but it was a crapload of spider strings. I'm not raging on spiders here (I leave the aerial web-weavers alone as they don't wander into my bed/clothes like the wolfies...) We DO have the nasty ones here though, so I feel that none should survive. And yes I know that even a brown recluse or black widow bite almost never disfigures/causes death, but it'd still be wasted time/money at the doctor/hospital.

Sorry, a bit drawn out and ranty, but this election is driving me nuts. Romney is a ****ty candidate, but he isn't a ****ty president (yet?) and probably wouldn't blame Obama for his failure at the end of his term if he failed (Obama's still blaming Bush). It's a shame our system is "A or B". If I HAD to pick one, I'd take Romney, as Obama has already failed... so why should we reelect him? That said, the whole system is pants-****tingly stupid. Politicians are politicians. There are NOT two opposing sides. I mean "democrat" Obama voted for the wars, is conducting drone strikes in countries we haven't even declared war on (and appeasing them with tax dollars), Libya etc. People forget that democrat presidents sent us to Korea and Vietnam...

FriedrichsFrogs

wow that does sound like a bit of a nightmare. brown recluses and wolf spiders? id be living in my car man. The worst infestations around here are stinkbugs..they stink...thats it. THOSE things have the potential to put u in the ER like you've said. Thats sad about the smashed frogs tho. And id probobly stay away from mentioning politics, could attract some unwanted attention, unless arguments are ur thing. Ill only say that i do somewhat agree with you in that Ive always seen politics as two sides of the same coin.

Wormwood

Yeah, this isn't the forumn to mention politics.

ejh805

In response to everyone's politics,

Name:  4181445+_c1a6d108cf7ca128cb13174ff820c159.png
Views: 900
Size:  283.8 KB

Duriel

My true political leaning (not sure if I posted it on this forum... I am active on many).

20. This member thanks Duriel for this post:

Thread Information