Thread: Bufo Americanus : Cannot eat earthworm

Duriel

Default Bufo Americanus : Cannot eat earthworm

I attempted to feed a small earthworm to my big American toad. Poor little girl. Her tongue couldn't stick it to the worm. After she failed over and over and began looking dejected, I removed the worm. It seems the slimy nature of earthworms doesn't work well with toads, or she's developmentally handicapped or something. Anyone have any experience to share?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Bufo Americanus : Cannot eat earthworm

Quote Originally Posted by Duriel View Post
    I attempted to feed a small earthworm to my big American toad. Poor little girl. Her tongue couldn't stick it to the worm. After she failed over and over and began looking dejected, I removed the worm. It seems the slimy nature of earthworms doesn't work well with toads, or she's developmentally handicapped or something. Anyone have any experience to share?
    Worms stick to stuff very well and can be hard to pick off, especially smooth surfaces like glass, plastic, or large smooth leaves. When I feed earthworms to my tree frogs I usually dangle them in the air above them and they grab the close part, or I drape them over a branch. I just try to make sure that they'll be able to get a part of the worm in their mouths to get started with the swallowing.

Also, some worms will have foul tasting secretions to discourage predation, and this can discourage some frogs or toads from eating them until they get over it and realize what a nutritious food the worms are.

SkeletalFrog

How does it do with crickets? It could just be the slime, but if there are signs of pervasive difficulty in picking things up with the tongue, it could be vitamin A deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeletalFrog View Post
    How does it do with crickets? It could just be the slime, but if there are signs of pervasive difficulty in picking things up with the tongue, it could be vitamin A deficiency.
    Have to keep them healthy with supplements. I like to wash and cut the worm, at least in half, makes it easier to eat.

Duriel

She normally eats roaches. She can eat almost as many as my baby bearded dragon

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My toads can't eat earthworms either. The more they try the more slime the worms secrete in defense and I end up with a bowl full of slime. Quite nasty! I just don't try anymore. I feed them roaches, crickets and freshly molted mealworms every feeding. Makes it easier that I breed all my feeders. I like giving them a varied diet. They like silkworms too but I don't breed those and they aren't really cheap.

Maharg

I explained this in my Rocco thread as well, but in case you didnt see it the flat worm rock could be the answer.

They should be able to pick it off the rock directly with ease, but if not dangle it slightly off. This rock is elevated by about an inch by digging a little cave under the botton half. Its worth trying. Worms are great for amphibs.

Wormwood

Toads will eat them, and yes they'll struggle for quite some time to try to eat them. Sooner or later every single toad I had has learned to not rely so much on their tounge and go in close with their beak. It might take a bunch of feedings though without any luck.

Thread Information