Thread: Goldfish Anyone?

cvBon1

Default Goldfish Anyone?

The only other pet that I have (not counting my roomates animals, which consist of two monitors and 8 snakes)... is my goldfish. She's my pride and joy. Why? I've had her since I was 9 years old.

She's approx. 12 years old. She is a luesistic Eyed White Calico Fantail. Fancy eh? Not really, I bought her at a small pet shop, way back when, and she looked like a normal fantail to me, just ehr eyes were blue and she was pure white. She now lives in a 40 Gallon all to herself, besides her applesnail roomates lol *who have recently became proud parents of 100 or so lol) and she is about 8 inches long and 3 inches wide. She's big!

Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Goldfish Anyone?

Great age for a gold fish!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Cool fish.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Cool. You must have looked after your fish really well, I bet it eat heaps. What do you feed it?

cvBon1

She eats regular goldfish food, though I try to look for the best. She costs me an arm and a leg but its worth it. Lol and yeah she does eat in heaps lol. Since shes getti ng up there in age her fins dont work as well, so Ihave to knock the food from the surface to let it sink and I put alot in there so she can grab some, so her tank needs cleaning often, but heck, I'll do it.

Amphibians

great fish! thats really amazing how long you've had her you must treat her very well.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thats awesome. My friend had a feeder goldfish that lived 6 years

cvBon1

Talking Re: Goldfish Anyone?

I never thought she would live so long. In fact the store owner I bought her from told me (I bought two at the time, her and another) that the Fantail would last the lifspan of a human if I took care of it, and the other one, the Ryunkin, a few years, 4 tops probably. I thought she was the other one, the Ryunkin.

But I mistakened, cause the other fish died at 8 years old (still long, Im sure he would've lived longer if he didnt get sick and attacked by the filter)... and Buggy? Kept on living. She survived being tossed out of the water, and even anhour and half truck ride in a bucket when I moved a few years ago.

She's one strong fish!
    *knockin on wood* lol

Wyomingite

Nice to see someone actually takin' care of goldfish instead of stuffin' 'em in a too small tank or bowl and wonderin' why they die. Not a goldfish person, myself, but I do like my fish.

WYite

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a forty gallon tank full of them. The two largest breeders are now 5 years old and about 9 inches long. They have a small school of 11 of their offspring.

Funny story really, I keep them out of respect. The two breeders are the survivors of a feeding frenzy! They were both about an inch long (from now deceased breeders I had) and somehow managed to escape half a dozen axolotls. After I waited a few weeks and they grew to large for my axies to eat. So they got their own tank. A year later they bred on their own without any special care. I was impressed enough with them that they and their kids now have the job of aging water for use in my other tanks.
    My goal is to build them their own pond in the future.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Kerry1968

That's cool Johnny! I think goldfish have a hard time mostly.

cvBon1

Red face Re: Goldfish Anyone?

It actually breaks my heart to see fish in goldfish bowls or too many to a tank, like 5 or 10 in a little 5 gallon. Ugh! You guys are right, people think cause its not a dog or a cat, the animal isn't worth the same treatment.

I dont think certain perstores should carry fish unless there employees are willing to ward off idiots who wanna little fish to sit in a bowl for a month just for decoration.

Sorry if that sounded a little hostile. I just think all animals deserve equal care. Fish frogs, and furries alike.

Wyomingite

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    I have a forty gallon tank full of them. The two largest breeders are now 5 years old and about 9 inches long. They have a small school of 11 of their offspring.

Funny story really, I keep them out of respect. The two breeders are the survivors of a feeding frenzy! They were both about an inch long (from now deceased breeders I had) and somehow managed to escape half a dozen axolotls. After I waited a few weeks and they grew to large for my axies to eat. So they got their own tank. A year later they bred on their own without any special care. I was impressed enough with them that they and their kids now have the job of aging water for use in my other tanks.
    My goal is to build them their own pond in the future.
    The only goldfish I ever kept was a similar story, 'cept the diner was an albino oscar.

Every few months I like to give my larger predatory fish a live treat. The oscar was in my 225 with a common pleco and a ghost knife. I put a dozen or so 1 1/2" feeder goldfish in and over the next few days they disappeared except for one. I waited and waited, and before long that one "feeder" was 3", then 4", then 6", and it and the oscar (which was 'bout 8" when I fed it this feeder) swam around with each other like long lost buddies. Had it for several years. Turned out to be a very attractive comet.

I've never fed goldfish since then, just don't look at 'em the same, LOL. Stick with guppies and convict cichlid fry/juvies for feeders.

WYite

Thread Information