Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a new member, but not new to frogs.

Grasspupper

Default I'm a new member, but not new to frogs.

Hello,
    I have just recently decided to join. I'm typically not interested in joining forum sites, but this one really caught my interest. I am currently going to school for a two year degree in Animal Management. This just means, I am going to school to be a zookeeper. Since I've been in this program, I have discovered I have a real passion for frogs. I am currently doing a rotation at a zoo in Syracuse NY in the Herp department, and am loving every second of it. We have a dart frog exhibit and a Panamanian Golden Frog exhibit, and they are, of course, my favorite exhibits. I have been doing a lot of research in Panamanian Golden Frogs, so that maybe one day I can be on the Taxon Group for it, and possibly become the studbook keeper. So, if anyone has an good resources on them or any endangered species, please let me know! I intend on continuing in school with the hopes of getting into the research field. I currently only have two frogs, a D. leucamelas and a Phyllomedusa sauvagii. I used to have more, but I got a White's Tree from a local pet store that got it from the wild, and it was sick. It then passed it on to my other frogs, and they died one by one. I intend on getting more Darts as soon as they are available in my area. I am happy to be a member, but I think it's even more exciting that I have found a place to talk about frogs with other people who love them just as much as I do.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I'm a new member, but not new to frogs.

Welcome! you are in a right place to talk frogs!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Pluke

Welcome to the forums.. Herp keeping at the zoo. That must be amazing! I like your avatar picture.. Phyllamedusa Sauvagii are probably my favorite tree frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome . If you have any pictures to share, we'd love to see some. This is a great forum. Great members who love to share stories and advice.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Grasspupper

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Welcome to the forums.. Herp keeping at the zoo. That must be amazing! I like your avatar picture.. Phyllamedusa Sauvagii are probably my favorite tree frog.
    It is amazing! I also had the opportunity to attend a conference that my zoo was hosting. While there, I met the herp keeper for the national zoo, who is also passionate about amphibians. It was exciting! And I got this frog recently, a friend at the pet store gave me an awesome deal on it. I have fallen right in love with it. It's one of those frogs that makes me smile every morning and evening when I have to feed, water, clean.

Grasspupper

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Welcome . If you have any pictures to share, we'd love to see some. This is a great forum. Great members who love to share stories and advice.
    Thanks so much!
    Name:  frog 1.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  54.6 KBName:  frog and lizard.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  96.0 KBName:  bumblebee frog.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  116.6 KB

I intend on getting pics of my zoo's frog exhibits as well. When I get there in the morning, the lights are still off, so I have find another time to take pictures.

Pluke

The more I see these Sauvagii the more I want one.. one day I will break and get a pair or something.. because one is never enough. That lizard is pretty cool too, what kind is it?

Grasspupper

Sceloporus malachiticus, they are called Green Swifts or Green Spiny Lizards. They don't get very big, and they're from central and South America, so they need high humidity like frogs do. They are also arboreal, so I would like to rearrange my tank to accommodate this. Neither one of them use the bottom. I have branches in there, but the lizard only uses one of them, and the frog prefers the mister nozzles.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    The more I see these Sauvagii the more I want one.. one day I will break and get a pair or something.. because one is never enough. That lizard is pretty cool too, what kind is it?

you should! and sure one is never enough, but with those guys at least you have a reason :lol: they love to have company of their own (same sex)

waxies are my favorite frogs too and 3 that i have looks like not enough either I would love to have 2 huge tanks with at least 4-5 frogs in each :lol:
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Grasspupper

What size tank do you have now?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Grasspupper View Post
    What size tank do you have now?
    boys and a girl are in separate 18x18x24 tanks, cos she turned out to be a pig and was intimidating boys, but she is way bigger they with way bigger appetite too:lol:

and what I would love to have is at least 6ftx6ft tanks for boys and similar for girls and have more in there. but it is a dream but who knows may be one day that is exactly what I'll do. need a bigger house bad :lol:

Grasspupper

Ya, I have a vision similar to this. I was hoping to one day learn to build tanks from lexan, so that I can have custom shapes and sizes. But I'm far off from having a house right now.

Nationality
    [United States]
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Grasspupper

Those are great, but expensive. I couldn't imagine the shipping...

Nationality
    [Canada]

can't imagine justifying to price, are they crazy???? and i don't like them too much anyway, i like when glass and support structure are less visible, like exo terras for example

I can custom order a big enclosures here in Calgary for a way less, but glass enclosures of that size are too heavy, plexy - not good and even more expensive, but where to find the room for that monstrosity

FriedrichsFrogs

Lol those remind me of when my father emptied out his china closet + converted it into a spider monkey cage when he was a kid. They are nice i could see how someone could go for those, although space + price are something you have to take into practical consideration

Grasspupper

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    can't imagine justifying to price, are they crazy???? and i don't like them too much anyway, i like when glass and support structure are less visible, like exo terras for example

I can custom order a big enclosures here in Calgary for a way less, but glass enclosures of that size are too heavy, plexy - not good and even more expensive, but where to find the room for that monstrosity
    Like a fluval edge aquarium?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350375175.301456.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  36.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

I like them. Super expensive though. My next will be the big exo terra.

Nationality
    [Canada]

yeah, like fluval may be, but i like exo terra's a lot! if not for the crappy screen top I wouldn't look anywhere else

ToadPaparazzi

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    yeah, like fluval may be, but i like exo terra's a lot! if not for the crappy screen top I wouldn't look anywhere else
    I replace all my ExoTerra screen tops with a vented & glass lid:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information