Thread: Something is wrong with my male tomato and he's not eating.

Mikae3000

Unhappy Something is wrong with my male tomato and he's not eating.

Yes, something is up with my male tomato, Makoto, again. =( My two females have never had any troubles. It seems it's just my poor Makoto. Never buy a frog from Petco....

Anyways, you can see all his enclosure details in my older post here: http://www.frogforum.net/tomato-frog...terrarium.html

So, here's what's happened. Makoto was doing fine up until about two weeks ago. He normally eats about 2 crickets or 2 dubia roaches every other day or so. Well, two weeks ago he kind slowed down to about 1 cricket every two days.... So, he only had about 3-4 crickets that week. He wouldn't eat any dubia roaches which he previously loved. He stopped eating from tongs like he was doing, so I left the crickets in his terrarium overnight, which is how I got him to eat before he got used to the tongs.

Well, this week, he hasn't eaten at all. It's been about 6 days since he last ate. His pooping also stopped. The last poop I found was a strange white color and seemed grainy... like it was mostly made of insect shell. He also seemed to be losing some weight on his hind legs then. I just kept leaving crickets in his terrarium for him, but he hasn't eaten them at all. He's not even showing interest towards them. He doesn't look at them.

The only change that's happened is that it's started to get a bit cooler at night now, but the temp in his terrarium hasn't dropped bellow 68F yet, which should be fine. His behavior seems normal. He puffs up and hates to be touched as usual. The only strange behavior is a loss of interest in food. However, this morning I was checking him over and something is not right at all with his behind. It's like the skin where his bowels are has turned white and loose. And he seems to have had quite a bit of weight loss over the past few days....

I'm thinking a vet visit is in order, but I thought I'd post it here too and some pictures in case someone knew what's going on. =(

Pictures can be seen here: Photo Album - Imgur

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Misschievou2

Default Re: Something is wrong with my male tomato and he's not eating.

Aw... poor lil one . I hope he feels better soon. I think a vet visit is in order too. Keep us updated!

frognerd101

Default Re: Something is wrong with my male tomato and he's not eating.

He may be getting ready to prolapse. I have had this issue before with pacman frogs, but it is also common in Tomato Frogs and any other terrestrial burrowing species of frog that would be more likely to ingest substrate. It is where the intestines fall out of the cloaca region of the frog. I would recommend taking him to a vet and getting him diagnosed and then perform the proper medical care. I cured my albino pacman by soaking him in a solution of sugar water and then pedialite medication. However, make sure you get a vet diagnosis before you perform any procedure.

Thread Information