Thread: Red leg?!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Red leg?!

About two weeks ago, I noticed a definite shift in Trevor's behavior. I though it was probably just her reacting to the change in the seasons since it coincided exactly with our first cold snap (her temps are still good). She stopped eating well, but I've been able to aggravate her into taking probably a nightcrawler every other day, sometimes two. Even though she was acting fine I just thought something was a little off, and so I've been watching her very closely.

Tonight I was giving her a soak, and noticed what I am pretty sure is the early stages of red leg. It's only on the tips of her toes right now, and not really on the belly. I do have pictures of the back legs as well as the belly, but apparently my camera's adapter didn't make it through my move this summer. My husband is at WalMart picking a new one up right now, so I can get the pics up by later tonight. I'm going ahead and posting this because I've had a bad feeling for a few days, and I'm fairly certain this is red leg.
    I won't start any medication till I get opinions on what's going on, but if there's something I can change about the enclosure I want to go ahead and do that. If you guys think that's what this is, I'm going to call a vet first thing tomorrow to see if I can get meds based on pictures and maybe a swab without actually bringing her in (or can this be treated easily with self-bought meds?)

She's still very active for a pac; the only symptom other than the burst blood vessels is the decreased appetite (not that much worse than her general pickiness). So I'm thinking I caught this pretty early. She was fighting me pretty strongly when I took the photos. She's also still very fat (after peeing), so she's not been losing much weight even without eating much. Hopefully this is a good omen for dealing well with treatment...

OH, and if anyone remembers the bizarre 'seizures' I've posted about where her pupils blow up in bright light when she's excited, I finally caught a good picture of that happening as well. Should be up soon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Red leg?!

Name:  162.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  42.2 KBName:  164.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  74.3 KBName:  165.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  43.8 KBName:  166.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  69.3 KB

Both back legs look like the one pictured... You can see veins on the stomach, but I'm not sure if that's the beginning of something bad or just that her stomach is pale and you can see veins through the skin...
    In the second and last pics you can notice how her pupils sometimes suddenly dilate, even though she's in a bright room.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Name:  162.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  42.2 KBName:  164.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  74.3 KBName:  165.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  43.8 KBName:  166.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  69.3 KB

Both back legs look like the one pictured... You can see veins on the stomach, but I'm not sure if that's the beginning of something bad or just that her stomach is pale and you can see veins through the skin...
    In the second and last pics you can notice how her pupils sometimes suddenly dilate, even though she's in a bright room.
    Trevor looks normal to me. Cranwelli have dark feet most of the time. Red Leg usually starts in the Legs as the disease is named and usually by the time it shows there is little time to treat it so fast action must be taken. It wouldn't hurt to have a vet inspect the frog though just incase. Adults will sometimes eat much less. I have a adult male who eats only about once a week sometimes two, but as long as they don't lose weight they're fine.

Keep a close eye on her and get her looked at.

EDIT; Red Leg is caused by fungal or bacterial infections that usually don't affect the frog until it become weak or stressed and then begins to manifest itself. Improper climate, filthy water and overall enclosure conditions are usually a cause as well, but I know you don't keep your frog in unfit conditions.

Nationality
    [United States]

Definitely going to keep a very close eye. What made me freak out is the bright red on the toes of her back leg. That's usually not there. Do you think maybe irritation from something? I need to get in touch with an exotic vet anyway. I have too many reptiles not to know one now that I have access to some. The fact that this happened so closely after her suddenly deciding she didn't like food just has me on edge. I have her old five gallon cleaned out and ready to be a hospital tank if she starts to look any different.

It seems like her metabolism changes a lot. She'll be ravenous for several weeks, but sometimes she's gone a month or more eating next to nothing without losing weight.
    The only real bacteria source would be my turtle, but I try to avoid cross contamination (I spend the majority of my days doing lab work, so I like to think I'm pretty good at it lol)

Thanks for replying so quickly btw. Feeling much less panicky now. I tend to be paranoid every time I notice something a little off with one of my reptiles. Nine times out of ten it's nothing, but it's saved several of my animals over the years. On the bright side, now I have an adorable picture of her balancing on my fingers and a new camera adapter.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Definitely going to keep a very close eye. What made me freak out is the bright red on the toes of her back leg. That's usually not there. Do you think maybe irritation from something? I need to get in touch with an exotic vet anyway. I have too many reptiles not to know one now that I have access to some. The fact that this happened so closely after her suddenly deciding she didn't like food just has me on edge. I have her old five gallon cleaned out and ready to be a hospital tank if she starts to look any different.

It seems like her metabolism changes a lot. She'll be ravenous for several weeks, but sometimes she's gone a month or more eating next to nothing without losing weight.
    The only real bacteria source would be my turtle, but I try to avoid cross contamination (I spend the majority of my days doing lab work, so I like to think I'm pretty good at it lol)

Thanks for replying so quickly btw. Feeling much less panicky now. I tend to be paranoid every time I notice something a little off with one of my reptiles. Nine times out of ten it's nothing, but it's saved several of my animals over the years. On the bright side, now I have an adorable picture of her balancing on my fingers and a new camera adapter.
    Its not unusual for their appetite to sway back and forth once they're adults. Many will eat a large meal once a week and then got eating very little. As long as the frog acts normal and isn't losing weight she should be fine. The red at the tips of her toes could be irritation cause by excessive burrowing to the point of rubbing on the bottom of the tank.

Those are some nice picture. She looks very fat and healthy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Checked her again this morning. Nothing has changed with the legs and she is still acting angry about being disturbed, so I'm a lot less worried.

Thread Information