Thread: Sad but true

boaman

Default Sad but true

Hello everyone
    This morning on my walk around the lake here there was a guy with three toads in a small plastic carrier. As you can guess he was going to "release" them in the lake because he said he was moving. I am new to FBT keeping and admit i know very little about them,but they wouldnt have had a chance let loose..anyway I put them in a 20 gallon tall tank with some gravel and a water "pool" in it. I plan on going later today and getting a better set up for them. any advise/tips on how to set up a nice suitable tank for them would be appreciated. I keep a neon tank so i had some gravel and some hides/decor already. I will post pics when my gf decides to stop arranging the tank lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lizard Man

Default Re: Sad but true

keeping fbt is easy and you really need a tank thats half water and half land.... the best way i have found is taking a tank divider and cutting it to the height that you want the mulch and water to be and placing it in the middle and half mulch and water.............. making it easy for them to get in water or land with a lamp an hide out and water with a few big rocks in the bottom and mabe a floating dock. . . . . thats the set up i had and they were happy but i also had places to climb but thats mostly a basic set up

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

They're pretty easy. I had mine in a 10 gallon with a few inches of water, with a small filter, and big rocks protruding from the water to make "land". In the beginning, I had live plants, but they tried to climb them and ended up drowning them (the plants), so I went with fake plants from the dollar store. They love crickets!

justsheila

thank you for rescuing them, the frog gods are smiling upon you

boaman

well they for sure grow on you pretty fast. I am still deciding which way I want to go with the tank. I just got a free 55 gallon tank so now im thinking bigger tanks means more frogs...After looking on the site at pics of the amazing setups you guys have im leaning towards 4-6 inches of water with water heater and filter,live plants and fish (food for the toads..ive read that guppies are good???) and some floating islands with moss plants etc. My question is whats the best way to heat the tank and keep it in the temp range needed for the frogs. I live in NC and its getting cold here fast so room temp just will not do much longer. (its normally 72-82 degrees in my room) I dont have central heating. My heat is a wood burning stove and some electric heaters for when its realllllly cold lolI also have snakes so I do have extra heat lamps,ceramic domes,heat emitters etc but not sure whats best to use for frogs. With the whole bottom with water under tank heating pads are out and I simply will not use a heating rock on another setup as I had a snake get bad burns and high vet bills due to one. However with the cord cut it makes a nice piece of decor... thanks for any tips and advise. And yes you was right they love crickets and phoenix worms lol.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

They don't need a heat source, room temp is fine, even cool temps are ok. They will need a filter for the water.

You could add fish, but the toads probably won't eat them.

Thread Information