Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: possibly dumb question about housing frogs...

justin shockey

Default Re: possibly dumb question about housing frogs...

but you still did not answer my question Anet you the lest bit kyris what you would com up with

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by justin shockey View Post
    but you still did not answer my question Anet you the lest bit kyris what you would com up with
    Huh?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

As the saying goes "curiosity killed the cat"
    In truth, it is personal preference whether or not you mix species. Many of us are dead set against it, but truthfully, it is the individual hobbyists choice. Interbreeding is a really common practice in reptile keeping, take a look at a dealer's list and you'll see a handful of cross-bred specimens. They certainly do come up with some interesting specimens. That being said, these animals serve no purpose other than looking pretty. Of course, here i'm comparing reptile keepers to amphibian keepers, and thats like comparing apples and oranges. I would guess that if you ever tried to sell your cross-bred stock you would become a pariah of the amphibian community, especially if they are dart frogs. Dart frog keepers strive to keep blood lines pure and keep the lineages as straight as possible. Many of the more "elite" dart frogs have entire lineage charts that are traced back to when their ancestors were wild caught.

In summary, cross breed at your own discretion.

Back to the actual topic. Mixing entirely different species can at times be dangerous. I think that in certain cases, it fine; if for instance, the species reside in the same area, do not compete with each other, cannot cross breed, and the enclosure is large enough. I do have a personal story involving a White's and a Red-Eyed. I know someone who kept them together years ago, long story short, both died when the White's tried to eat its cage mate. Again, it's at your discretion.

Best of Luck,
    Alex

justin shockey

420 ya

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by justin shockey View Post
    420 ya
    Again, huh?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information