Thread: Magnificent tree frog aka Splendid Tree frog

WTF97

Lightbulb Magnificent tree frog aka Splendid Tree frog

My question is can you have them as pets? Were would you get one?. Can they be kept with whites?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rae

Default Re: Magnificent tree frog aka Splendid Tree frog

It is never advised to mix species... not only do frogs secrete toxins harmful to other frogs and creatures. You need to match there temp and humidity levels, which are different with many frogs. Then there's the size factor. Whites are huge and veracious eaters and can or will try to eat anything remotely smaller.

The only 2 frogs that I have heard having almost the same care needs are Greys and American Greens. Assuming you get a large Grey and a Small Green to balance the size issue. But it is still not recommended due to the toxins that a stressed frog may release.

Rae

Ok so I just wiki'd the magnificent tree frog and noticed that they are both from Australia, and are around the same size... So I guess the question is are there toxins harmful to each other. I also read they might need a permit to keep in captivity.

steampunk

Over here in Australia, we need to have licenses for any kind of reptile which we have to get from our state government. Where i am in Western Australia, the Green tree frog is avaliable as a category 2 license which is a beginnners license whereas the Magnificent tree frog is a category 3 license which is a license which can only be avaliable for over 18 years of age and are generally for reptiles that are harder to care for apparently. For this reason im sure, housing them together probably wouldn't be suitable situation, and the permit required might only apply to Australians. I don't know what kind of laws Canada has on reptile keeping?

Thread Information