Thread: Best way to clean a frog tank?

Kelly

Default Best way to clean a frog tank?

We have had our frogs for a few months and we have a few times cleaned the the substrate out and put new in and rinse off the plants and rearrange them. But we haven't hand held our frogs much other then to clean it out and they completely freak out. We have American tree frogs and not sure if anyone has any suggestions on how to clean it out easier and maybe without having to take them all out which is scary and not stressing them out. And if they should be held more to get them more comfortable? Changing the water bowl is never a problem it is just when we try to move things around or clean out the substrate. Plus I think I get just as stressed worried that they will jump out and getting hurt or have a dog think it is a toy. Thanks for any help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Best way to clean a frog tank?

Use live plants and seed the tanks with springtails and sow or pill bugs, you won't have to change the substrate nearly as often with these vivarium janitors. I can't actually recall the last time I even changed my Hyla cinerea's substrate, I just top it up with a new layer of leaf litter as needed. It will get changed if a funky odour ever develops, but as long as it still smells fresh it's good. Misting with distilled water cuts down on the glass cleanings (keep using your normal water for their dish). The other maintenance can usually be done without disturbing the frogs, spot cleaning of the glass and plants (removing poop as it turns up), minor plant prunings, and adding or changing the water.

When you do have to remove the frogs for major renovations try scheduling it with feedings. Put the panicked frogs in a critter keeper (with a lid) already stocked with their days meal. A panicked frog will often eagerly turn into an eating frog. Also make sure your dog is in another room when you do remove the frogs, or at least have another human on non-frog pet corral duty.

and if all else fails, there's always napalm....making it always turns out to be a nice family project ahhh i remember the good old days, me and dad in the basement making napalm....sigh. LOL
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I clean my tanks and rearrange mid day when the critters have been sleeping on the glass for a few hours. They usually let me wipe things down pretty good and gently move their plants and such without moving from their comfort spot. Sometimes I can see them breathing a little faster but I don't take long and they calm down pretty quick.
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    We have had our frogs for a few months and we have a few times cleaned the the substrate out and put new in and rinse off the plants and rearrange them. But we haven't hand held our frogs much other then to clean it out and they completely freak out. We have American tree frogs and not sure if anyone has any suggestions on how to clean it out easier and maybe without having to take them all out which is scary and not stressing them out. And if they should be held more to get them more comfortable? Changing the water bowl is never a problem it is just when we try to move things around or clean out the substrate. Plus I think I get just as stressed worried that they will jump out and getting hurt or have a dog think it is a toy. Thanks for any help!
    You could always put them in a small kritter keeper while you clean. Then you can just change the substrate and wipe the glass down and refill the water and place them back in the terrarium.

Anaturalistic set up is also a possibility, but usually works best in larger enclosures, say 30 plus gallons.

Kelly

Thank you for all the great advice!! I would love to do real plants but might have to wait till spring to find some. Tonight we moved them I pray finally their final home. We found a tank that is 6 sided and really tall so I think they will love all the vertical height I think it is 40 gallon. It was an adventure trying to get everyone moved and only one got out but he was safely shown the right way to go lol. Plus this might seem strange but we moved the tank into our room. Cause my husband would stay down stairs waiting till they got active so now we can watch them jump and hunt and play around in bed. These guys are so funny when they are stretching out their legs. I can't wait to learn more from you all and from out frogs. And maybe soon I can give advice too!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't think it's strange at all that you put them in your room. I actually thought about doing that myself. But since our cats go to bed with us, nobody would get any sleep!
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

Thread Information