Thread: Afan Dwarf Frog with missing foot (possible fungus)- advice needed please

froglett

Default Afan Dwarf Frog with missing foot (possible fungus)- advice needed please

I've been planning on getting 3 african dwarf frogs for my kids tank, to live with the 5 platys. (15 uk gallon tank).
    I know it would be better to just have frogs, but the kids insisted on fish too. I went for platys because I was told they were the most compatible.

I went into the fish shop on friday with the intention to buy but they only had 1 left, in a tank with mollies, and the poor fella had a back foot missing. The shop are awaiting a new delivery. I was very tempted to get him but decided against it.
    I did feel quite sad that I hadn't when I got home though as he was very cute.

I was back in the shop today and he was still there, still all alone apart from the mollies.
    I decided to buy him so 'Timmy' is now in my tank. I know this was probably stupid buying a disabled frog, but I couldn't resist him the second time.

ETA..I've not seem him doing much swimming. he just seems to crawl along the bottom

He seems to have settled in ok, he's either been crawling around on the sand, or sitting in a fake plastic plant.
    So far the fish haven't paid him any attention. They are leaving him alone.
    I've never had a ADF before but he seems to be coping ok with the lost foot.

My concern is whether he has fungus. There is a bit of skin hanging off the end of his foot (looks the same colour and transparency as his webbing), but it seems to continue futher up to his knee. (A white colour, like the skin is loose).
    I'm not sure if this is fungus or just shedding? I hadn't noticed it in the shop.

The sales assistant in the shop said she thought he had been delivered with the missing foot, and he seemed to get around ok.

I will try and post a pic of it later, but if it is fungus how serious is this, and is it easy to treat? Or is it possible that just his leg is shedding?

I plan to get him a couple of friends next weekend, but obviously I'll have to make sure it's not fungus, and if it is treat it before adding any more frogs.

I really hope he'll be ok cos he is very cute.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

froglett

Default Re: Afan Dwarf Frog with missing foot (possible fungus)- advice needed please

Here's some pics. Sorry but it's hard to see the foot

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Afan Dwarf Frog with missing foot (possible fungus)- advice needed please

I don't see anything in the pics or your description that leads me to believe there is a fungus present. It is possible that his shed is just starting and the leg is the most logical starting point due to the past damage. Is the frog eating? Does he spend an excessive amount of time at the surface? Is this tank cycled?

froglett

The tank is cycled, and all the levels are fine.
    I gave him some bloodworms last night and he ate a few, not loads, but then I guess he's really small.
    I haven't seen him at the surface at all, in fact I'm a bit worried that he's not surfacing enough (how often should they surface for air?)
    I have been at work today though so maybe I've just missed it. My husband said he saw him swim from one side of the tank to the other earlier.
    He's currently sitting inside the crusty crab ornament with his head poking outside the door. He seems to have made friends with a pregnant platy, she was in there with him earlier.
    I think I'll just keep an eye on his leg and see if it looks any worse. I can't say he's very active, but then I've never had a dwarf frog before so I don't know what's considered normal behaviour wise.
    Thanks for replying, it's put my mind at rest a bit

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by froglett View Post
    The tank is cycled, and all the levels are fine.
    That's great! Proper water chemistry is vital to the good health of your frogs. Healthy frogs are remarkable in the way the fight off disease - their skin contains the chemical magainin, an antimicrobial that protects the frog from a variety of bacterial and fungal infections.

I gave him some bloodworms last night and he ate a few, not loads, but then I guess he's really small.
    The frog is probably under stress which will go away over time. It looks like its had a rough time. As long as it is eating, you shouldn't worry too much. Keep the frog in a quiet area.
    I haven't seen him at the surface at all, in fact I'm a bit worried that he's not surfacing enough (how often should they surface for air?)
    They can stay underwater for a long time. The frog is an agile swimmer - and can move quickly both forward and backward. As long as the frog swims naturally, I wouldn't worry. Continue to observe as often as possible. If there is anything unusual, please note it and post on this thread.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

froglett

He seems to be doing ok. I got him a couple of friends last week. He seems a bit more active now he's got company.
    He's eating more too, though all 3 have to have the blood worm wiggled in front of their face or they don't know it's there.
    What else can I feed them besides blood worm?

And another thing. All 3 look paler since going in the tank. Are they just camouflaging against the sand?

Nationality
    [Canada]

He seems to be doing ok. I got him a couple of friends last week. He seems a bit more active now he's got company.
    He's eating more too, though all 3 have to have the blood worm wiggled in front of their face or they don't know it's there.
    What else can I feed them besides blood worm?

And another thing. All 3 look paler since going in the tank. Are they just camouflaging against the sand?
    They are known to change color slightly from light to dark. I assume it has to do with their surroundings.
    As far as feeding goes I would try to take the bloodworms right out of your rotation. In the past I have feed the follow items with success:
    frozen/thawed Mysis shrimp
    frozen/thawed spirilina enriched brine shrimp
    frozen/thawed white worms
    frozen/thawed daphnia
    frozen/thawed plankton
    New Life Spectrum pellets

My frogs use to sing and breed constantly. I am considering getting myself a new colony with all this dwarf frog talk. I miss those little buggers. A couple of stores near me have the "blond" variety in.

froglett

Timmy still seems happy and is doing ok. He doesn't climb as much as the others but I guess that's to be expected.
    I've started to wonder if he was born with a deformed foot. He seems to have a couple toes, but no webbing.
    He seems very small compared to the others too.
    He eats well though and crawls around the bottom.

He lives in a squidward house ornament and likes to sit hanging out one of the eyes.

I moved the platies to another tank for being greedy, so Timmy lives with 4 other adf frogs now. All the frogs seem to prefer species only.

Thanks for all the advice

froglett

***update***

Just a quick update. I've now had Timmy the frog with one foot for just over a year. He is doing well

I did have several other frogs die unfortunately shortly after getting them, but have 3 others now for almost a year that have survived.

I have 2 males and 2 females and they are often hatching tadpoles though unfortunately I havent managed to get any to surive, even when I put them into a seperate tank.

I'm not too bothered about that tbh. I'm just relieved my frogs are ok

Thread Information