Thread: Wattage?

HerpDerp

Default Wattage?

So I plan on getting my new terrarium this weekend (exo-terra 18x18x24) and I plan on using a ceramic heat emitter for it. So I'm wondering what wattage I should use for that (for a WTF). I'm going to get a fluckers dome light with the dimmer so I can have control over how much heat it gives off. So advice on wattage would be fantastic. I plan on ordering today so soon ish would be great

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Wattage?

i would not use a che they get very hot even the low wattage ones. i use a 60watt house hold bulb and is gives me a basking spot of around 85F

HerpDerp

I'm not sure if that would be enough for a tank that size? In the winter the temps in my apartment will be dropping to about 68 degrees so I wanted something for night time too. The UTHs I have now are useless. There's got to be a good way to keep it warm in there day and night?

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Michelle,
    I use a ceramic heat emitter on my 18x18x24 enclosure for my white's tree frog.
    They do get hot, but with the dimmer, you can dim it to the heat that is appropriate. They are great in winter because they provide heat without light. My white's will not eat or be as active at night with any light at night (red, blue, I've tried them all).
    I use a 150 watt CHE, with the dimmer screen fixture (I don't believe it's a good idea to use the domes with the ceramics). And I love it!
    Just be sure the fixture you use can tolerate the wattage, for example if the fixture says 75 watt is the limit, don't put a 125 watt ceramic heat emitter in the screen fixture (could cause a fire).
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

6. This member thanks Bolisnide for this post:

HerpDerp

Do you think a 100w would be enough or should I opt for the 150? I plan on getting the fluckers lamp with the dimmer so it should make life easier. I figured it would be nice to be able to dim it down at night but still have a little heat. And does it dry out the terrarium any more than other heat sources? I plan on creating a false bottom so humidity shouldn't be too much of an issue (I hope). I'll admit I'm not too excited about the cold, dryness of winter approaching quickly! At least my frog will be comfortable!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
    Do you think a 100w would be enough or should I opt for the 150? I plan on getting the fluckers lamp with the dimmer so it should make life easier. I figured it would be nice to be able to dim it down at night but still have a little heat. And does it dry out the terrarium any more than other heat sources? I plan on creating a false bottom so humidity shouldn't be too much of an issue (I hope). I'll admit I'm not too excited about the cold, dryness of winter approaching quickly! At least my frog will be comfortable!
    100w should do it... my house gets super cold during winter, so I went with the 150, I never have it on full blast though....
    Is the flukers lamp you're looking at have the screen mesh? I don't think the domes are advisable for the CHE? Maybe check what the bulb says?
    They do dry things out, but not any more than the incandescent bulbs. You will need to mist more or utilize a fogger (which I use).
    the false bottom will help. You'll definitely need to monitor closely with the new set up, until you see how it affects the environment of the enclosure.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

HerpDerp

It says they're okay for the CHE. It has a ceramic socket so it can handle the heat. There are some cheap CHEs on ebay for like $10! So I think that's the way I'll go. Thanks for the help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  p-74286-56457-reptile.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  22.3 KBthis is what I use, with a dimmer...
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
    It says they're okay for the CHE. It has a ceramic socket so it can handle the heat. There are some cheap CHEs on ebay for like $10! So I think that's the way I'll go. Thanks for the help!
    Oh, okay! That sounds like it'll work great then! and you're welcome!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    Name:  p-74286-56457-reptile.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  22.3 KBthis is what I use, with a dimmer...
    hey I have that same lamp there and im wondering if you can tell me how to choose a dimmer for infrared bulbs. a link or a picture and some info would really help, thanks

Thread Information