Thread: Getting weird with it (amplexus) every night + calling. Should I prepare for possible eggs?

Duriel

Default Getting weird with it (amplexus) every night + calling. Should I prepare for possible eggs?

These shennanigans occur every day. Also, the male's "barking" is much louder than I am used to. Seems LATE for breeding, but maybe these ones think it's "time" (because obviously, the constant temps and occasional misting)?

Sorry the pic isn't so great. Had to use the flash as constant light spooks them out of this behavior. I don't want to umm... ....block them if you get me lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting weird with it (amplexus) every night + calling. Should I prepare for possible eggs?

Are you sure they are mating? My toads are boys but they still try to make babies with each other all the time! One will grab the other and try to mate but the first will fight him off.

Duriel

Default Re: Getting weird with it (amplexus) every night + calling. Should I prepare for possible eggs?

Pretty sure it is. I have 3 and there's only 1 call at night (and the same one is constantly mounting the others). They seem mostly receptive if I observe below the "horizon" of their vision (like some kind of creeper I guess). As soon as they notice me, they skitter off. They're normally so relaxed (even sit in their bowl when it's food time).

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lol! You just might be getting some babies then!

Kira Hudson

mine call every night still no babby oh well good looking frogs tho

FinnyBird

No, you should be fine. All my toads mate all the time for the last couple years, but no eggs yet (and I have eight of the silly things). From what I've heard, it's a complicated process to mate toads, which includes a cooling period to simulate winter among other things. Of course I'm no expert, but you can check the caresheets around. I've never gotten into breeding them, but it looks like breeding them takes special conditions. I wouldn't worry.

Nationality
    [Canada]

There is no way that fire bellied toads can successfully lay eggs unless there is a cooling period. When there is cooling period, the frogs get the sense that
    winter has gone and passed and that it is spring time, in other words, mating season. So unless there is a cooling period within your tank, I'm sure that they
    will not ever lay eggs. Being in amplexus is completely normal for fire bellied toads. If you do, however want to breed, then there are multiple ways to create the cooling
    period, and get them to breed.

MantisMan

yeah, i decrease their daylight cycle then put them in a cool closet for 11 weeks and that does the trick

Thread Information