Thread: Hey guys I'm new here and to owning FBT have some questions

Brina87

Default Hey guys I'm new here and to owning FBT have some questions

I just recently received 2 FBT from one of my friends as a present. I've own tree frogs before but never FBT. We just recently brought them to my house 2 days ago and now one of them has died. I do not know what happened I woke up this morning and it was barely moving. I do not hold them, I don't know if it was bc they moved from my friends house to mine withing like a weeks time bc he surprised me with them. How do I go about cleaning the tank without stressing the other one out. Pretty sure I should clean the tank since it died right? What are the facts I need to know? I don't want this to happen again and I would like to learn all I can.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FrogFriend

Default Re: Hey guys I'm new here and to owning FBT have some questions

I am sure by now you have it figured out. FBTs can be a bit delicate. Even though you know your friend, you don't know what conditions the FBT lived in before you. You also don't know things like, his age, whether he was ill, when were they last fed, what were they fed, etc. Cleaning the tank is a good idea. You don't ever want to use soap or any kind of chemicals in your tank unless it's absolutely necessary and then I would recommend rinsing the tank multiple times in the hottest water you can get to ensure all the chemicals are gone. So, how do you clean if you can't use soap, bleach, etc? Hot water is always your best friend. You can also mix plain white vinegar into the hot water and the acidity of the vinegar will help kill bacteria, etc. If the tank is really grimey, I just found out that ice, salt, lemons and baking powder work wonders to clean up algae stains and calcium deposits. But no matter how "natural" you are in cleaning, the tank needs a good rinsing out before putting your toad back in. Once you know the toad does not have any kinds of illness that could contribute to the death of his friend, then I would get another FBT to keep yours company. Hope the other one is still alive and amusing you!

MantisMan

Default Re: Hey guys I'm new here and to owning FBT have some questions

what is the setup like? be sure any exposed land gravel is covered with moss and that you only use spring water
    keep between 68 and 72 degrees with a 40-60 watt bulb and make sure they have plenty of hiding spots

Thread Information