Thread: Is this unusual?

Pluke

Default Is this unusual?

My Green pacman which I've had for roughly 2 1/2 months has changed his eating habits.. the last week or two he's reacting to food a lot differently. It's like he's hungry and he shows interest in the food but wants me to do all the work now, lol. I used to be able to set nightcrawlers in the tank by him and he'd scarf them down. Now I have to rub his lips and he opens his mouth and practically waits for me to put the food in for him. Anyone else have to do this? It just seems really lazy and I want to make sure it's not just him. Sometimes I feel like he's blind or something, although I'm pretty sure he's not..

For the last two weeks he's ate nothing but nightcrawlers, Hornworms, and 1 good sized dubia. I never give him hornworms two feedings in a row. Last time he took food on his own he ate like four 1"-2" hornworms. He was scarfing them down with ease.

Other than that he acts perfectly healthy, although he hasn't called in a while.. neither have the tree frogs outside though which I think were triggering him to call in the first place. He almost always responds to them, lol.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

GeorgiaBulls

Default Re: Is this unusual?

A couple of my bigger ornates recently strarted doing the same thing.
    Just as u said they went from viciously attacking the food as soon as it was in the enclosure to me having to place it in their mouths. I didn't really think much of it, seeing as tho they are still eating the same amount and appear to be just as healthy as before. Hopefully this isn't a sign of some problem that I haven't spotted yet but I doubt it is..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Not a problem, just an occasional occurrence with these frogs. Sometimes (Especially in adults) they will become lazier than their usual limited activity and even will just open their mouths and expect you to just place food in. Sometimes its when they're between growth spurts and sometimes the adults will just eat have less of an appetite. They will do this off and on. Seasonal changes detected by the frog can also make them a little lazier than usual. Its when they suddenly refuse to eat at all when you need to begin to worry. Loss of appetite and weight loss are definite signs of a problem.

You could skip a feeding and raise the temps a little higher for a couple days to increase their appetite. 84° Should help boost their response. Keep humidity high as well.

Pluke

Thanks guys, I think I read something about this I just wanted to make sure. There was quite the temperature drop in the last two weeks here in michigan and I have had a heat lamp/UTH on his tank keeping him warm with multiple mistings. I think it's what you said though, Grif, he's just getting over his first growth spurt and I think he's slowing down. I don't know to much about these frogs yet, but he's grown from quarter size to approx. 3 inches in the 2 1/2 months I've had him which seems like a lot. I got my albino a month after I got this one and it was a little bigger than a quarter, now it's almost the size of my green. The Albino almost always takes notice to food and takes it from the tongs no problem, for now. "She's" (I hope) is growing a lot. I've been feeding my albino every day and my green every 2-3 days, but I usually offer food if he's at the surface. If he doesn't take it within a minute I just offer it the next day. Unless he's buried then I will dig him up every 2-3 days to feed depending on how much he ate before..

Also, I'm using a repashy multi vitamin/w calcium/D3.. I might change this though I haven't decided. It's good when they eat every day as froglets, but I imagine as they grow and eat less often I might just have to give vitamins two days a week and calcium on one. I have a calcium dust to that I give them sometimes instead of the repashy.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Thanks guys, I think I read something about this I just wanted to make sure. There was quite the temperature drop in the last two weeks here in michigan and I have had a heat lamp/UTH on his tank keeping him warm with multiple mistings. I think it's what you said though, Grif, he's just getting over his first growth spurt and I think he's slowing down. I don't know to much about these frogs yet, but he's grown from quarter size to approx. 3 inches in the 2 1/2 months I've had him. I got my albino a month after I got this one and it was a little bigger than a quarter, now it's almost the size of my green. The Albino almost always takes notice to food and takes it from the tongs no problem, for now. "She's" (I hope) is growing a lot. I've been feeding my albino every day and my green every 2-3 days, but I usually offer food if he's at the surface. If he doesn't take it within a minute I just offer it the next day. Unless he's buried then I will dig him up every 23 days to feed depending on how much he ate before..

Also, I'm using a repashy multi vitamin/w calcium/D3.. I might change this though I haven't decided. It's good when they eat every day as froglets, but I imagine as they grow and eat less often I might just have to give vitamins two days a week and calcium on one. I have a calcium dust to that I give them sometimes instead of the repashy.
    23 Days is a long time, but not too long. IF the frog goes down for 23 days it is trying to aestivate, which you don't want if the frog is under 1year of age. You will want to keep tells and humidity consistent and keep the substrate moist. You may want to invest in a Reptifogger and hook it up to a timer to turn on and off for periods of time during the day and night to keep the humidity up. You could also invest in a Reptifogger and hook it up to another good investment a Zoo Med Hygrotherm Temp/Humidity control unit.

That will help keep climate consistent and keep a good feeding schedule as well.

Pluke

Haha, I just fixed that. It was supposed to be every 2-3 days. I edited it and made it right now.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Haha, I just fixed that. It was supposed to be every 2-3 days. I edited it and made it right now.
    Ohhhhh!!! Ok.

Thread Information