Thread: adding a second frog

bclaytonphoto

Default adding a second frog

Hi, I'm sort of new here..I've been reading and learning from here for a month or so..

(very helpful site)

We ended up caring for Gray Tree frog this summer.(Franco/Frankie).I'll add some pictures eventually.

My question is this..I have a male frog (P-Nut), which I plan to integrate with the existing female. he's about through a thirty day seclusion..Happy healthy frog..But kinda small

The female is pretty large..and on a diet..she got kinda fat..

The male has started croaking recently..The female seems to be searching for him..(he's in a sepate tank)..
    She sleeps in places other than her normal "spot"

Yesterday, she stayed out all day and all night..Eventually she went to her "spot"..She eats and poops..
    But, since the male stated croaking..she has become less active..perhaps more docile.

I don't want her to get depressed (if possible) because she can't find the male..

The enclosure had the proper heat and humidity, light etc..

I was going to integrate the male after his 30 day seclusion was up...during the next enclosure cleaning...

I read on here..he should be no less than half the size of the bigger frog.. It's a toss up now..On one hand...One more month and he will be bigger...on the other hand...The female is looking for the male often..

advice appreciated...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: adding a second frog

Your kind of anthropomorphizing your female. She won't get depressed, but she is searching for the male because he is calling. Wait the 30 days for quarantine and place them together then. No need to rush. Your female will be fine.

bclaytonphoto

I really wasn't rushing..Just debating to wait a second thirty days for the male P-Nut to grow a bit more..It's a 29 gallon..plenty of climbing and hiding places..

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by bclaytonphoto View Post
    I really wasn't rushing..Just debating to wait a second thirty days for the male P-Nut to grow a bit more..It's a 29 gallon..plenty of climbing and hiding places..
    If you feel he is pesticide & disease free, if you got the two around the same time, then I don't think there would be a problem adding the male to the female. Unless, there is a significant size difference between the two.

Rae

Make sure the male is AT LEAST 3/4 the size of the female. If they think they can eat it they will try. The closer in size the better. My pippin will likely be in quarantine atl east 60days as he will likely be seen as food by my others.

bclaytonphoto

I've decided to wait at least another month.(then re-evaluate).P-nut is still kinda small and Frankie is a BIG female..

bclaytonphoto

Just to follow up..I put the two frogs together yesterday..The male is about half the size of the female..I just don't think he's going to get bigger..Clean tank, new stuff to climb on..

They found each other with in a half hour or so..They just stared...then the Male went bounding off to explore..The female did her usual..pick a spot and hang there till night..The male showed up later..To be honest..I think she was a little afraid..Even tho he hadn't called yet..she sort of backed away..he just looked..and went bound off again..

They got fed shortly after we put them together..No food agression issues..

Thread Information