Thread: So excited for my leopard geckos!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default So excited for my leopard geckos!

I'm officially a repti-nerd! I've had my juvenile leopard geckos, Lizzy and Izzy, for 3 months. I've grown so frustrated with them not eating that I almost gave up on them. Last week I switched their cricket bowl to a completely clear glass. I saw Izzy perk up right away and when I left the room he got a cricket (I saw it in his mouth when I came back in). Saturday I put out a bowl of meal worms and a bowl of wax worms. Neither of them budged. Today I was trying to get Izzy out of his humid hide and I saw him looking at the crickets licking his mouth. So I gave him a wax worm and he ate it right up! I then tried a meal worm and he loved it! He ended up eating 6 meal worms and 2 wax worms! I know that's a lot but he was really hungry. Now he's laying in the heat with a full belly! He's also laying out in the open, something that he has never done before. It looks like he's finally getting in his comfort zone. Hopefully Lizzy will follow quickly behind.

Everyone thinks I've absolutely lost my mind being so obsessed over a lizard eating! I know the people of the forum will understand how exciting this is
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

phrog73

Default Re: So excited for my leopard geckos!

glad to see u so tickled i went absolutely nutz when my albino refused to eat for almost two weeks till her tail about shived up to nothin and one day i took out the non responsive worms and gave her a few lively ones an she started eating and hasnt stopped an its been two months since we went through that and never did find a reason

amphiboy77

strange. my leopard geckos ate literally 10 minutes after i put them in their new enclosure.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by phrog73 View Post
    glad to see u so tickled i went absolutely nutz when my albino refused to eat for almost two weeks till her tail about shived up to nothin
    I got freaked out once because Izzy's tail was so small that I took him out tried to feed him baby food off my finger! He ate a little of it but that was it. I figured I'd just leave them alone and they would eventually get hungry.

Lizzy is more social and will come to the glass and watch me or the cats. She will sniff my fingers but she won't eat from my hand or the tongs. I've only caught a glimpse of her eating once or twice.

Oh and I learned today what happens when they over eat....Izzy left me the BIGGEST present I have ever seen! A few of the meal worms were left whole!

Nationality
    [United States]

They won't over eat they know when full they can be somewhat stubborn but they are a blast to keep!
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

Beckred1

Next month I should have a normal baby leopard gecko then I'm going to raise him up and breed it. thanks for the tips when feeding.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Beckred1 View Post
    Next month I should have a normal baby leopard gecko then I'm going to raise him up and breed it. thanks for the tips when feeding.
    i wouldnt suggest breeding normals to many out there that need good homes. and they are also normally bred for food for the bigger lizards or lizard eating snakes. (not trying to sound harsh)

CaterpillarArts

Quote Originally Posted by phrog73 View Post
    glad to see u so tickled i went absolutely nutz when my albino refused to eat for almost two weeks till her tail about shived up to nothin and one day i took out the non responsive worms and gave her a few lively ones an she started eating and hasnt stopped an its been two months since we went through that and never did find a reason
    I have an old female that goes on and off eating. She's the only one that I have that's super picky about food, and when she suddenly decides she no longer likes what I'm offering she'll quit eating for weeks. It's never the same food, sometimes she boycotts roaches, other times it's mealworms and wax worms.

To the OP, congratulations on getting your little guy to eat! It's definitely a nervewracking experience when you don't know what's wrong. I hope everything is easy going from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Deac77 View Post
    They won't over eat they know when full they can be somewhat stubborn but they are a blast to keep!
    That doesn't always hold true. I usually leave bowls of mealworms in my younger leo cages, and one of my males used to gorge himself to the point of regurgitating. I quit allowing him free access to food like that after I realized that he wasn't stopping until the bowl was clean. I would also be cautious of feeding a leo that hasn't eaten for a while too quickly, so far in my experience smaller more frequent meals work better.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by CaterpillarArts View Post
    To the OP, congratulations on getting your little guy to eat! It's definitely a nervewracking experience when you don't know what's wrong. I hope everything is easy going from here on out.
    After I got him to eat that day, he didn't eat again for awhile. Yesterday I peaked his interest with a wax worm and he ate that and one meal worm and then went to sleep. It's a slow process but he's been more active lately so that is good start. His sister on the other hand refuses when I try to feed her. However, she shows interest in my cat that likes to sit on top of their tank, so that cat better make sure she stays on good behavior!

CaterpillarArts

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    After I got him to eat that day, he didn't eat again for awhile. Yesterday I peaked his interest with a wax worm and he ate that and one meal worm and then went to sleep. It's a slow process but he's been more active lately so that is good start. His sister on the other hand refuses when I try to feed her. However, she shows interest in my cat that likes to sit on top of their tank, so that cat better make sure she stays on good behavior!
    Do you have any idea what could be causing their lack of interest in food? Have you ruled out parasites (where did you get them?)? Are you making sure they're well hydrated before offering food? It sucks that you're having such a hard time with the little guys.

Thread Information