Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frog/Toad Intelligence - what do you think?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog/Toad Intelligence - what do you think?

Hi Frank, interesting topic. I really enjoyed all the comments made in the thread. So, do frogs have intelligence and therefore have the ability to learn? I think so I have been keeping African clawed frogs for many years and noticed they have an acute awareness when it comes to wave and sound stimuli.

According to Andreas Elepfandt, "Attempts to condition frogs generally fail. Xenopus, however shows good learning abilities. It is the only frog so far in which long-term memory and complex learning have been shown. This demonstrates that Xenopus can associate sensory inputs with variable meanings and learn complex relations in its environment." [Xenopus Sensory Perception, 1996]

I think the idea is worth pursuing.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Hi Frank, interesting topic. I really enjoyed all the comments made in the thread. So, do frogs have intelligence and therefore have the ability to learn? I think so I have been keeping African clawed frogs for many years and noticed they have an acute awareness when it comes to wave and sound stimuli.

According to Andreas Elepfandt, "Attempts to condition frogs generally fail. Xenopus, however shows good learning abilities. It is the only frog so far in which long-term memory and complex learning have been shown. This demonstrates that Xenopus can associate sensory inputs with variable meanings and learn complex relations in its environment." [Xenopus Sensory Perception, 1996]

I think the idea is worth pursuing.
    Hi Terry,

Thanks for the kind words. Xenopus are a great example, and a favorite of mine as well. An X laevis in my collection reached age 19-20 (not a record for the species) and I now have an X. tropicalis aged 22+. They definitely make associations, and modify their behaviors to fit circumstances. I was always surprised at home they change when being brought indoors after "summering" in an outdoor pond. They come in as fast, aggressive hunters, snatching insects from land, wary of approaches to the tank, hide etc. After awhile, they swim to the glass when I approach, accept pellets from hand etc. Lots of great research done on them as you mention, so there's a good knowledge base on which to proceed.

Pl check out this article re unusual Xenopus observations when you can, and let me know what you think...Thanks, best, Frank

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah Ha! I knew my Xenopus were smart! I love the way they come up to the glass and stare me down with that 'You're going to feed me now, right?" look to them.

findiviglio

Indeed! and it seems simple association at first, but actually it is a big step. They are not approaching a moving finger, as any frog might, but rather a huge creature that, in the wild, would register as a stork, large turtle or other predator...

Best, Frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Vision in Xenopus seems to be of little use. The eye is used mainly for protective arousal - that is, when a large object moves rapidly above the water, frogs that have been hanging at the water surface dive to the bottom to hide. This reaction helps protect them from birds, which are their primary predator. It is interesting that this reaction is restricted to objects above the frog. There is little or no reaction if an object passes along side the frog. Clawed frogs can identify objects in the air when it is underwater. It appears that fully grown frogs have some method (yet to be determined) to compensate for refraction.

Concerning some other unusual frog behavior. When I worked at the zoo, I found that many species of frogs preferred a "hot spot" to bask. It seems to be more common with toads. Among the clawed frogs, Xenopus (Silurana) tropicalis, for example, will often leave the water to bask.

According to Elephandt, Xenopus is able to learn various tasks. They also demonstrate long-term memory and several forms of complex learning - they are capable of learning rules in its environment.

Yes, Michael, Xenopus are smart

findiviglio

Vision in Xenopus seems to be of little use. The eye is used mainly for protective arousal - that is, when a large object moves rapidly above the water, frogs that have been hanging at the water surface dive to the bottom to hide. This reaction helps protect them from birds, which are their primary predator. It is interesting that this reaction is restricted to objects above the frog. There is little or no reaction if an object passes along side the frog. Clawed frogs can identify objects in the air when it is underwater. It appears that fully grown frogs have some method (yet to be determined) to compensate for refraction.

Concerning some other unusual frog behavior. When I worked at the zoo, I found that many species of frogs preferred a "hot spot" to bask. It seems to be more common with toads. Among the clawed frogs, Xenopus (Silurana) tropicalis, for example, will often leave the water to bask.

According to Elephandt, Xenopus is able to learn various tasks. They also demonstrate long-term memory and several forms of complex learning - they are capable of learning rules in its environment.

Yes, Michael, Xenopus are smart
    Thanks very much...you are only the second person I've run across, over many years, to have obs basking in a relative! Re refraction correction, I've worked with archer fish and was always amazed at their abilities in this regard. They even aimed at keeper's eyes, and never missed! Best, Frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

While on the subject of Xenopus: I am really impressed with the vocal repertoire of these frogs. Six different calls have been identified. The male produces 4 calls: advertisement, amplectant, chirping and growling. The female has 2 calls, ticking (unreceptive) and rapping (receptive). If the male is calling and the female responds by ticking, the male will stop both his calling and advances. So the female seems to be firmly in control

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by findiviglio View Post
    Thanks very much...you are only the second person I've run across, over many years, to have obs basking in a relative! Re refraction correction, I've worked with archer fish and was always amazed at their abilities in this regard. They even aimed at keeper's eyes, and never missed! Best, Frank
    It really surprised me about the basking. I wouldn't have believed it, if I didn't see it with my own eyes

findiviglio

It really surprised me about the basking. I wouldn't have believed it, if I didn't see it with my own eyes
    Same here, re the basking - the Bx Zoo curator and my co-workers never did quite believe me! Thanks for the note on their calls; I set up an exhibit for the Maritime Aq in CT, and the keepers there were interested in following up on that; budget and all is always a problem, but I'm hoping they will do some work on it. I've seen the males stiffen and "shimmy" when grasped by another male as well, not sure if I've heard the release call..best, Frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Frank. I always enjoy your posts. I was an amphibian keeper at the Henry Doorly Zoo and saw many unusual amphibian behaviors. Speaking of frog's basking, I am reminded of the southern foam nest frog (Africa), Chiromantis xerampelina, who is able to bask in direct sunlight with ambient temperatures exceeding 105 degrees (F). It has a remarkable ability to adjust its internal body fluids to withstand the high heat.

findiviglio

Thanks, Frank. I always enjoy your posts. I was an amphibian keeper at the Henry Doorly Zoo and saw many unusual amphibian behaviors. Speaking of frog's basking, I am reminded of the southern foam nest frog (Africa), Chiromantis xerampelina, who is able to bask in direct sunlight with ambient temperatures exceeding 105 degrees (F). It has a remarkable ability to adjust its internal body fluids to withstand the high heat.
    Nice to hear from you, Terry, and thanks for the kind words. Chiromantis are amazing indeed, thanks for bringing them up. I recall some people from your zoo visiting the BX Zoo in the mid-80's, checking JungleWorld in prep for a similar building. I seem to remember hearing that koi and other creatures in an outdoor lake at H Doorley were used to prepare skeletons for museums, etc...always stuck in my mind...am I imagining that? Best, Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information