Thread: ACF Underside colour?

AdamD

Default ACF Underside colour?

Hi,

I have 2 African Clawed Frogs, one albino, and one wild type.
    Both seem to be doing well, the albino is a few months older, and is slightly bigger, but the wild type seems to be catching up in size quickly.

I have noticed recently, that on the wild type, where he used to have a creamy white colour on his belly and underside, it is started to look almost blotchy, some grey colour is showing up in spots almost.
    Is this normal?
    Seems to be acting fine, just all pictures I have seen, the undersides of the wild types are just the one cream type colour?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: ACF Underside colour?

Yes my wild type started out with a creamy belly but now it has changed to a blotchy-grey underbelly. He is also growing faster than my albino and seems more predatory lol.. I have a more olive lighter color ACF who has a creamy belly but no blotches sooo i don't know, it seems to vary a lot.

Does it look like this?
    Name:  Clyde Frog Hello!.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  78.3 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have 3 wild type adults and they all seem to vary a bit.

AdamD

well thank you both for your input.
    Michael- yip, that is quite similar, and a lot of colouring on the legs too.

As my frogs get bigger, I have noticed the albino is bigger, but longer, whereas the wild type is certainly rounder- can I assume that the albino is male, or is it too early to tell as I have only had them a few months?

Nationality
    [United States]

I bought my albino in May.. he was a VERY tiny froglet.. he is a little over 3 inches long now and does have nuptial pads so I know he is male. Probably need to wait a year to know exactly how big they will get though.

I picked up my wild type ACF a month later perhaps (the one shown in the picture)? He was a bit smaller than my albino.. I want to say they're around the same size now but I've not noticed any nuptial pads so I'm thinking it's a female.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    As my frogs get bigger, I have noticed the albino is bigger, but longer, whereas the wild type is certainly rounder- can I assume that the albino is male, or is it too early to tell as I have only had them a few months?
    You may be able to tell, would have to see a pic. How big are they?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I bought my albino in May.. he was a VERY tiny froglet.. he is a little over 3 inches long now and does have nuptial pads so I know he is male. Probably need to wait a year to know exactly how big they will get though.
    I have a male I bought in February and he is tiny. Maybe 2" long. No color on the arms yet either. He has recently started to hit a growth spurt and become less shy.

AdamD

I will try and get a pic, only trouble is that my only camera is on my phone, and is not great!
    How often are you guys feeding your frogs?
    I am feeding my guys once a day with pellets, which they now happily devour- getting the newer frog seems to have made my older albino greedier
    the wild type is getting pretty big quickly, so I wondering if it is best to cut down to every other day?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    I will try and get a pic, only trouble is that my only camera is on my phone, and is not great!
    How often are you guys feeding your frogs?
    I am feeding my guys once a day with pellets, which they now happily devour- getting the newer frog seems to have made my older albino greedier
    the wild type is getting pretty big quickly, so I wondering if it is best to cut down to every other day?
    I think growing frogs should be fed daily, older frogs every other day or 3-4 times a week. It really depends on how much you are feeding them. I usually feed my frogs every day but I don't feed them a whole lot (2-3 adult reptomin pellets each). They are round but not fat and I think that's about where you want them. So I would say if your frogs look good just play it by ear.

If I feed my frogs a large meal (like a cut up earthworm) I do not feed them for a day or two afterwards until they look 'round' again because when they eat worms they look rather fat.

I don't think there is any real science to it. I think underfeeding is better than overfeeding since these frogs can go quite some time without food. Just keep them pleasantly plump and not obese.

Thread Information