Thread: Rescued a Firebelly from petsmart.

adinco

Default Rescued a Firebelly from petsmart.

I go to petsmart a lot between my 4 toads, 2 frogs and cat. Also because my boys just love looking at the fish and birds.

Anyways, for the last month, I've been going to the firebellies to just look at them. Well this entire time, I've watched one of them dwindle away into nothing. Today he was so thin his stomach was sinking in. I just couldn't handle it anymore, so we bought him and brought him home to nurse back to health. Wish me luck that I manage to get him healthy again!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rescued a Firebelly from petsmart.

I'm sorry if this comes off rude...but you didn't "rescue" the FBT from a big chain pet store. You basically just bought the toad to support the store to buy more critters to not take care of. However, good luck with the little guy. I'm sure he's in much better hands now.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good luck. How is his skin? Does he look otherwise healthy?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

adinco

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    I'm sorry if this comes off rude...but you didn't "rescue" the FBT from a big chain pet store. You basically just bought the toad to support the store to buy more critters to not take care of. However, good luck with the little guy. I'm sure he's in much better hands now.
    WHile I do see your point, I respectfully have to disagree. I've been watching him for a month and watched him dwindle to nothing. he most certainly would have died had I not purchased him. now he has a lot better of a chance. if that's not rescuing, I don't know what is!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm glad you rescued him. It's a repetitive cycle with some pet stores. I hope they gave you him on discount.

What was his enclosure like at the pet store?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

adinco

All the other toads were fat and healthy and I don't see any other signs of sickness or anything. He's in a separate enclosure than all my others and is already looking better. I've fed him 4 small cockroaches with about 4 hours between each one and his sides are no longer sunken in and he's vigorously jumping away from me when I pull him out to feed him now.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good to hear . Keep us posted.

FinnyBird

I see it like this: the harm you've done by funding a massive company a measly four to six dollars is a far lesser evil than the enormous positive impact you've had on a life, which has much more value than what they could have ever priced it. Now, I wouldn't make it a habit, but it's not an action to be regretted. It's good to hear he is improving. Keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

It's a no-win situation sometimes. Trust me, I've rescued 6 retf's. Though, in my case, most of them were given to me free from the pet store as they did not know how to care for them. Their manager followed up with their corporate and told them that proper education should be done before sending any to the stores. I was given the frogs, the tank, light, etc. It was a financial loss for them also. I appreciate that they did something to improve how future frogs will be cared for. There actually are some stores/employees that care. The store even gave me a free gift card for saving them.

Duriel

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    It's a no-win situation sometimes. Trust me, I've rescued 6 retf's. Though, in my case, most of them were given to me free from the pet store as they did not know how to care for them. Their manager followed up with their corporate and told them that proper education should be done before sending any to the stores. I was given the frogs, the tank, light, etc. It was a financial loss for them also. I appreciate that they did something to improve how future frogs will be cared for. There actually are some stores/employees that care. The store even gave me a free gift card for saving them.
    Wow what a deal! Maybe I can pick up some free White's Treefrogs in that fashion from the local petco... seems every time I go in there (feed my critters dubia roaches as a staple, crickets as a "treat"... makes more sense because roaches live a lot longer and don't go all "The Happening" by drowning themselves lol), there's a fresh(ish) White's carcass getting nommed by large crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good luck! It still cost me $118 in vet medicine to heal them.

kroberts009

SORRY EVERYONE COULDNT FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE A NEW POST, BUT HAD AN IMPORTANT QUESTION! slightly concerned, while feed my firebellies mealworms this evening. one of them darted at my hand and picked up a piece of gravel instead. (a pink-purple rock) before i could take the piece out of its mouth, he swallowed it. from what i gathered from the part sticking out, it was roughly small-medium cricket sized. not much i can do at this point is there? if someone can respond ide appreciate them being sent to kroberts009@yahoo.com thank you!

Thread Information