Thread: Used distilled water

jlstacey

Default Used distilled water

I have a female bullfrog that we found injured in early August. We nursed her back to health and she was doing really well. I am new to keeping amphibians, so I'm trying to do it right, but seem to be getting the water thing wrong. Initially, I used dechlorinated tap water. I was doing full water changes every 3 days or so because the water would get so dirty. Then I got bacteria bloom, and I realized that I should be doing small water changes. At the same time, we got advice from someone that they used spring water. I had some distilled water, so I thought it would be fine. Ummmm...now I realize it isn't. Her color has turned darker, and she's spending a lot of time out of the water. She also seems lethargic. I'm about to dechlorinate tap water, but how do I change the water? Full change? I have no substrate for her, nor a filter. Should I get this stuff? I didn't buy it initially because I didn't know if she would survive. We now are quite attached to Boo Boo (her name)! Please help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pluke

Default Re: Used distilled water

Any water that isn't dechlorinated or spring water should be fully removed from the tank and replaced with dechlorinated or spring water. I hear zoo med reptisafe is a good dechlorinator. Personallly, I use spring water but thats because I have well water. I would use that but I don't want to take any chances.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by jlstacey View Post
    I have a female bullfrog that we found injured in early August. We nursed her back to health and she was doing really well. I am new to keeping amphibians, so I'm trying to do it right, but seem to be getting the water thing wrong. Initially, I used dechlorinated tap water. I was doing full water changes every 3 days or so because the water would get so dirty. Then I got bacteria bloom, and I realized that I should be doing small water changes. At the same time, we got advice from someone that they used spring water. I had some distilled water, so I thought it would be fine. Ummmm...now I realize it isn't. Her color has turned darker, and she's spending a lot of time out of the water. She also seems lethargic. I'm about to dechlorinate tap water, but how do I change the water? Full change? I have no substrate for her, nor a filter. Should I get this stuff? I didn't buy it initially because I didn't know if she would survive. We now are quite attached to Boo Boo (her name)! Please help!
    Full water change and yes you will need a filter. Ammonia will build up and bacteria will grow without filtration. Distilled water leaches vitamins and minerals from the frog because distilled water is completely devoid of everything. They need de-chlorinated water that still has mineral and salt content for proper hydration and bodily functions.

I would fix this problem immediately. Does she still eat?

jlstacey

She wasn't eating. She died last night. I feel horrible. I just didn't know. She had been doing really well until I put the distilled water in.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by jlstacey View Post
    She wasn't eating. She died last night. I feel horrible. I just didn't know. She had been doing really well until I put the distilled water in.
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Learn from your mistakes and don't let this bad experience shun you away from keeping another frog.

Once again I'm sorry.

Thread Information