Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloated?

eRock79

Default Bloated?

My little guy has only had 4 large crickets in 4 days but now he looks bloated; is that normal? A friend told me to check his belly around his hind legs for redness and I don't see any, just kinda pink. He went right in to a brand new habitat set up specially for him; new eco earth, a bit of moss (not much), and a half log. I've included pictures. I nervous about him now.

Name:  IMG_2562.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  86.7 KBName:  IMG_2564.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  113.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Bloated?

Quote Originally Posted by eRock79 View Post
    My little guy has only had 4 large crickets in 4 days but now he looks bloated; is that normal? A friend told me to check his belly around his hind legs for redness and I don't see any, just kinda pink. He went right in to a brand new habitat set up specially for him; new eco earth, a bit of moss (not much), and a half log. I've included pictures. I nervous about him now.

Name:  IMG_2562.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  86.7 KBName:  IMG_2564.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  113.5 KB
    First pic looks like he's puffed up to shed. Second pic looks fine with no bloating and only water weight. Do you de-chlorinate the frog's water for both water dish and substrate?

eRock79

Grif, I've been reading about de-chlorinating water, but haven't yet. I'll read through some posts and find out what to use for that. The second pic was taken just moments after I took the first pic. I just scooped him in to the deli cup and added a bit of water while I checked for redness. He's at 86% humidity right now and since he's kept in my bedroom with my snakes, his tank is at about 83-85 degrees without any additional heat source. Is that acceptable? Prior to purchasing him, I didn't ask the important questions that I've been reading about now. I didn't ask the last time he shed, pooped, ate, or other.

KingCam

Grif, I've been reading about de-chlorinating water, but haven't yet.
    Uh, you NEED to ALWAYS be declorinating your frog's water. This is not something you just can put off. It has to be done each and every time. Chlorine is incredibly dangerously bad for amphibians.

This is like rule #1. How did you not know that? I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be overy rude, but come on. Have you read anything at all about your frog?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Erik where are you getting the crickets from? I had a problem with the crickets here in southern california. They killed about 80 pacman frogs. Its still being tested but the crickets from a supplier ate something that is killing only pacman frogs. I wouldnt feed crickets right now to be honest. Go with earthworms

eRock79

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    Uh, you NEED to ALWAYS be declorinating your frog's water. This is not something you just can put off. It has to be done each and every time. Chlorine is incredibly dangerously bad for amphibians.
    I understand that now, just didn't understand that when I brought him home. I also didn't know the right questions to ask when I bought him. He's going to get de-chlorinated water from now is what I was getting at. This is out of my comfort zone, so I'm learning as I go (unfortunately). Thank you for the response and the sense-of-urgency in your message.

KingCam

oh, and I would add to what Mike said about the crickets by feeding either earth worms or roaches instead. Crickets are the most popular feeder, followed closely by meal worms, both of which are not ideal for your animals. Roaches and earthworms are much high in nutrients. You can culture your own roaches at home and never pay for feeders again (except for occassional treats to mix the diet up a bit).

eRock79

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    Erik where are you getting the crickets from? I had a problem with the crickets here in southern california. They killed about 80 pacman frogs. Its still being tested but the crickets from a supplier ate something that is killing only pacman frogs. I wouldnt feed crickets right now to be honest. Go with earthworms
    I got my crickets at the NARBC in Anaheim and I haven't fed him any more since Monday. I have Nightcrawlers in the fridge right now, are those acceptable? Should I try to feed him tonight? I'm worried that if he does have a condition, I may make it worse by feeding him. Man, I worry a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    oh, and I would add to what Mike said about the crickets by feeding either earth worms or roaches instead. Crickets are the most popular feeder, followed closely by meal worms, both of which are not ideal for your animals. Roaches and earthworms are much high in nutrients. You can culture your own roaches at home and never pay for feeders again (except for occassional treats to mix the diet up a bit).
    As for roaches, are dubias the ones you speak of? I live in a small apartment, so I don't know if culturing them is in the cards.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

No don't feed it til the swelling goes down. Worms are good and don't cause many if any problems. Don't feed crickets right now.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

KingCam

As for roaches, are dubias the ones you speak of? I live in a small apartment, so I don't know if culturing them is in the cards.
    Any roaches. Dubia are a good choice. Giant cave roaches, deathheads, blaberus hybrids, discoids, and many other larger species would also make good food items for a frog as big as a pacman.

As far as space is concerned, they only take up as much room as a plastic storage tote.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Dubias are really good! They can't climb up tanks either. Don't get lobster roaches. I made the mistake of getting 2,000 of them. They climb up EVERYTHING lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Excellent advice has been given to you Erik. I suggest that its followed.

eRock79

You guys are awesome! I picked up dechlorinater by Tetra. That'll work, right? I mixed up a whole batch of substrate for the little guy: should I dump it and use dechlorinated water? I do have a small amount of moss in his tank (5g tank), should I do my best to remove it all? I really, really appreciate the help! This is a lot different than taking care of my snakes.

Nationality
    [United States]

You guys are awesome! I picked up dechlorinater by Tetra. That'll work, right? I mixed up a whole batch of substrate for the little guy: should I dump it and use dechlorinated water? I do have a small amount of moss in his tank (5g tank), should I do my best to remove it all? I really, really appreciate the help! This is a lot different than taking care of my snakes.
    Get rid of the moss. Prepare new substrate using the de-chlorinated water to expand it. Soak the frog in a Luke warm bath of de-chlorinated water to flush the chlorine out of its system. Soak for about 15 minutes and after the new substrate and water is placed in the enclosure put the frog back.

Nationality
    [United States]

This is a lot different than taking care of my snakes.

Just wondering... Are you using dechlorinated water for your snakes' drinking water as well? You really need to. They aren't quite as sensitive as amphibians, but if they get chlorinated water for long periods it can cause fatal problems. If you happen to have a particularly sensitive snake species it might not take that long. Generally, use dechlorinated water for anything that is cold-blooded.

eRock79

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Get rid of the moss. Prepare new substrate using the de-chlorinated water to expand it. Soak the frog in a Luke warm bath of de-chlorinated water to flush the chlorine out of its system. Soak for about 15 minutes and after the new substrate and water is placed in the enclosure put the frog back.
    Thank you Grif! I'll do that straight away.

DVirginiana, thank you for the advice. I haven't in 15 years of keeping snakes but I'll take it in to consideration. There's always room for change!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you Grif! I'll do that straight away.

DVirginiana, thank you for the advice. I haven't in 15 years of keeping snakes but I'll take it in to consideration. There's always room for change!
    It's just a good idea. I've known people who keep snakes for their entire lives on untreated water or a potentially dangerous food source and never had a problem, but then others who do it for a month or two and end up with a dead or seriously ill snake. I'm just not willing to take the risk.

I usually just treat a gallon of water at a time and use it for all my reptiles. It doesn't take long and it keeps me from worrying.

GeorgiaBulls

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    Dubias are really good! They can't climb up tanks either. Don't get lobster roaches. I made the mistake of getting 2,000 of them. They climb up EVERYTHING lol

Lmfao

eRock79

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    It's just a good idea. I've known people who keep snakes for their entire lives on untreated water or a potentially dangerous food source and never had a problem, but then others who do it for a month or two and end up with a dead or seriously ill snake. I'm just not willing to take the risk.

I usually just treat a gallon of water at a time and use it for all my reptiles. It doesn't take long and it keeps me from worrying.
    How much treatment do you use for only a gallon? The bottle says 2 tsp (10ml) for every 10 gallons. Is there such a thing as "too much" treatment? I made up about a gallon yesterday to keep on hand at room temp and I just kinda squirted 5ml into the jug. I'd hate to poison my frog by using too much treatment chemical.

Nationality
    [United States]

How much treatment do you use for only a gallon? The bottle says 2 tsp (10ml) for every 10 gallons. Is there such a thing as "too much" treatment? I made up about a gallon yesterday to keep on hand at room temp and I just kinda squirted 5ml into the jug. I'd hate to poison my frog by using too much treatment chemical.
    I have used TetraFauna before. I would just add 3 to 4 drops. Its a concentrated agent so it doesn't need as much as say ReptiSafe, but I like Reptisafe much more because of the calcium and electrolyte content.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information