Thread: protozoan infection

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy protozoan infection

well, my boy has it, just got a call confirming. it explains it all I guess and while I'm waiting for meds ( metronidazole I'm guessing) from a vet. will be able to do so only tomorrow
    Grif I think you wrote about it somewhere, couldn't find.

do you guys have any suggestions on treatment, how contagious that is, what dose is safe, how to disinfect his tank and how to proceed in general, i would really appreciate it.

I highly suspect my pixie might have it too, he was fine for quite some time, but lately he is not himself with runny stools, will take his poop for exam as soon as I see it, but I might take his water instead, cos it is not possible to scoop the poop really.

and where the heck they got it from, in pacman case it's no wonder given the conditions he was living before i got him, but pixie probably got it from him somehow, no idea, they are not sharing anything, I'm changing water every day ( for pixie sometimes 2xday, cos it getting dirty lately fast), full substrate is changed every month with spot cleaning when i see it and mixing it every week at least.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: protozoan infection

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    well, my boy has it, just got a call confirming. it explains it all I guess and while I'm waiting for meds ( metronidazole I'm guessing) from a vet. will be able to do so only tomorrow
    Grif I think you wrote about it somewhere, couldn't find.

do you guys have any suggestions on treatment, how contagious that is, what dose is safe, how to disinfect his tank and how to proceed in general, i would really appreciate it.

I highly suspect my pixie might have it too, he was fine for quite some time, but lately he is not himself with runny stools, will take his poop for exam as soon as I see it, but I might take his water instead, cos it is not possible to scoop the poop really.

and where the heck they got it from, in pacman case it's no wonder given the conditions he was living before i got him, but pixie probably got it from him somehow, no idea, they are not sharing anything, I'm changing water every day ( for pixie sometimes 2xday, cos it getting dirty lately fast), full substrate is changed every month with spot cleaning when i see it and mixing it every week at least.
    Protozoa infections come being housed in overly filthy condition. Main culprit is water that has been fouled and not changed or water that was unused, but had become stagnant.

One of the best treatments is Flagyl(Metronidazole). Its an antibiotic that is effective against protozoa infections as well as many bacteria. It has to be administered orally. The dosage is a lot different if placed in a bath because it will become diluted. It best given orally. The Vet will prescribe appropriate meds to treat the infection. The dosage should be measured by the frog's weight. You can hide the Flagyl in Pacman Food if your frog will accept it from tongs thus making the treatment stress free. I would make a small pouch out of a piece of Pac Food and place the dose in the pouch. Then offer it to the frog by tongs being sure the medication was not lost by the pouch opening. They never even know that they've been medicated.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: protozoan infection

the thing is they don't sit in overly filthy conditions, it is sparkly clean, believe me but he lived in horrible conditions before i got him in april. I've been reading that a lot of protozoan are common in frogs and are not pathogenic, so no treatment is needed, I'm kinda confused and only hope vet will know what he is doing.
    pacman food from tongs is not a solution, the only way i see administering orally is force feed, he is a VERY picky frog and only will take anything if you annoy him enough to open his mouth unless it is pinky and even then not right away.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information