Thread: Fire bellied toad lighting and filter.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Fire bellied toad lighting and filter.

Hello I have 3 fire bellied toads in a 10 gallon tank.

I am looking to upgrade them into a bigger tank, and I was thinking of adding some lighting and
    a filter. I heard the fire bellies need a basking spot in their tanks, but others say that they don't.
    I know that maybe they should have some light but not a basking spot. I heard the fire bellies really
    like the swamp glo lights that are blue lights and you would normally turn it on at night.

Also, with the filter, what type of filter would you recommend?

And If I were to upgrade their tank, what size would comfortably fit 3 full grown toads?

and I was also wondering if it is okay to put rocks and sticks from outside in their tank.

Thanks!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ToadTee

Default Re: Fire bellied toad lighting and filter.

I have three FBTs and I currently keep them in a 20 long which is plenty big for them. I am using a Tetra Whisper fish filter. The one I have is one made for 10gal tanks as I am not running that much water through it. I haven't had any trouble with it, in fact my toads like to climb it quite often.

As far as lighting or basking spots I don't have anything like that and they seem perfectly fine without.

As far as stuff from outside, I think if you can sterilize it somehow it would be ok. Maybe boiling? I am not really sure.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

okay, thank you very much! a 20 long sounds great. I didnt think they would need a basking spot, but i heard they really like the swam glo lights.

I am also trying to breed them, and I understand that for the cooling period you can place them in the fridge, but how big should the conatiner be that I put
    in the fridge?

ToadTee

You are quite welcome.

As far as breeding questions I am afraid I am completely ignorant.

FinnyBird

If the tank maintains a fair temperature, there is no need for a basking spot. I would suggest having a warmer side though if you could manage it, as the toads are ectotherms and would better be able to maintain whatever temperature is appropriate. A twenty gallon could house 4-5 I would say, if you set it up right. It would most definitely fit three without a problem. I would personally suggest making your own filter. They are more efficient and easier (and cheaper) to maintain.
    Rocks and sticks should be fine so long as you find a way to make sure there are no bugs fungus or anything else potentially dangerous. You can freeze them or boil them to achieve the same effect. I have never bred my toads, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Duriel

I've got a number of medium rocks from my area in the tank with my firebellieds. I rinsed off the dirt (and some kind of slime mold) and boiled them for 5 minutes. No reason to waste gas/electricity boiling small-medium rocks. Going to revise their setup next Friday (currently just water with rocks above the water level. Thinking to do like my 40G breeder that my bullfrogs live in and silicone in an elevated land area. Mine spend most of their time in the water, so ~40% more water space while still having land space (and not just blowing money on a larger aquarium) seems ideal.

Thread Information