Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Cornuta Calling Video

GeorgiaBulls

Default Re: The Cornuta Calling Video

No he's about 1.5 in.. Bigger than a quarter but not by much.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pacman90

that could be why my Pac is so stressed, at the store he was in a tank of 90% water and had a little rock landing, i didnt want to have to go thru the trouble of keeping up with the water i.e. filtering, cleaning, etc. so he's in the total opposite now, 90% land with a water dish, im guessin its too much of a change for him. Thanx for bringin that up Grif.

eRock79

Quote Originally Posted by earthtiger View Post
    I don't want to start a long and probably very hot and/or emotional discussion, so that's my last comment in this thread to this: does money and time justify everything?

It remembers me at chicken farms:

...do they look happy?
    Not to really defend keeping animals this way, but do animals really think of life in a sense where they can be happy? Or do they just think in survival-ability? Meaning that they eat, drink, have a safe place from predators, and if/when the time comes, they can mate properly to pass on their genetics. I know that there are animals such as Elephants and Bison that have shown "emotion" when it comes to their dead and family, but are they showing emotion or just hanging around until they realize that the animal is no longer going to get up? I feel that there are many opinions on this matter, both expert and amateur. To each their own opinion as long as the animals are cared for properly and with utmost regard. Sorry to heat it up again, if I did.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by eRock79 View Post
    Not to really defend keeping animals this way, but do animals really think of life in a sense where they can be happy? Or do they just think in survival-ability? Meaning that they eat, drink, have a safe place from predators, and if/when the time comes, they can mate properly to pass on their genetics. I know that there are animals such as Elephants and Bison that have shown "emotion" when it comes to their dead and family, but are they showing emotion or just hanging around until they realize that the animal is no longer going to get up? I feel that there are many opinions on this matter, both expert and amateur. To each their own opinion as long as the animals are cared for properly and with utmost regard. Sorry to heat it up again, if I did.
    Despite what some people believe animals do have emotions although not as dramatic as ours, but similar. When a dogs brother or sister dies and the sibling stops eating and starves itself to death or a Morning Dove loses its mate and sits next to the corpse of its life mate even when faced with imminent danger is sadness. They recognize and feel lose as do we. They feel happiness, but its not shown like a human emotion, but in their own way just as when they lose their young and feel the need to sacrifice themselves to protect the next generation. Those are not just empty instincts. Survival is number one, but many will give their life so that their young will live and I don't think that its only so that the species will survive or that the next generation is passed on, but from a primitive emotion.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree, Grif. Different animal species definitely have varying degrees of emotional expression, but many species do show emotion...apes, cats, dogs, some birds, horses, cows, etc. I have seen it in many of these species and I'm sure there are more.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

SkeletalFrog

Something else worth considering is that frogs perceive the environment very differently from us, in various ways.

We tend to prioritize sight, but humans (and primates as a whole) have extremely good vision, and thus it plays a huge role in our perception of the environment. In contrast, while frogs have decent vision, it's nowhere near as good as ours, while their chemosensation and hearing are likely much better. A frog in a visually dull but clean and quiet habitat will be as happy as a human in a beautiful house.

Additionally, our warm-blooded physiology requires a HUGE number of calories just to not starve to death, requiring us to be fairly active foragers with a preference for places that have either ample area to forage (our love for "wide open spaces"), rich resources (often associated with water), or both. For a sit-and-wait ambush predator, that urge makes as much sense as wanting a hiding place made of solid gold.

While beautiful naturalistic enclosures are great, we should keep in mind what is for the frog's benefit and what is for our own enjoyment. Often the latter can be dispensed with entirely with no adverse effects on the frog.

8. This member thanks SkeletalFrog for this post:

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    Is it a few inches long? I'm trying to find out if quarter size ones have dark throats.
    Hi Mike, I've owned two baby Cornutas since they are the size of a dime and they're now 2-inches long. Throughout their current short lives the throats are completely blackened and are extensive under their chins. Basically, their "black beard" had never undergone color changes or increase in intensity.

When it's dime-size Name:  DSC04611.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  154.8 KBName:  DSC04597.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  135.1 KB

When it's about an inch long Name:  DSC04914.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  131.7 KBName:  DSC04917.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  135.9 KB

I hope the pictures help.

On a separate note, as regarding to your green Cornuta-like Fantasy, I am almost certain that they are true fantasy, but in rather a rare form which highly resembles its Cornuta-side.

JIvoryII

Mike ours all have full black throats at dime size... if they are not full black/dark.. i say Fantasy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information