Thread: Questions regard a pacman with a foot injury (a pac was injured by a pyxie).

ragnew

Default Questions regard a pacman with a foot injury (a pac was injured by a pyxie).

It's been a while guys. Hope all is going good. I've got a question to ask you guys though. Recently I was informed that a buddy of mine had been keeping a female pacman frog and a pyxie frog about the same size together for the last five or so years. Upon arriving home a few days back she discovered her little pacman frog inside of the African Bullfrogs mouth (I truly believe she's fortunate to come home when she did. The pacman might not have made it). She shot me some pics of the pacman's injuries and one of the back feet took some serious damage. Looking at the picture, to me, it looked as if the tissue had died (I was guessing it was probably where the pyxie grabbed the pac in the beginning) and is possibly turning necrotic. I know in the past, if I'd had any herps with necrotic limbs or digits the body would naturally eliminate the limb over time, and providing there was no infection, the animal transitioned just fine in the end.

I recommended that she bring the frog to a vet, and look into possibly getting some baytril or some other form of antibiotic to combat any possible infection that had already set in. I told her if it was me, I'd try to get the baytril and let the body take care of the dead foot/digits on it's own. I was a bit worried that the vet removing the limb might be a bit too stressful at the time. The pacman is in an iso tank that has damp paper towel substrate and a water dish with an infrared bulb that gets the tank into the constant low 80's. She's changing the paper towel and water daily to avoid any possible complications.

Anyone else have any other ideas to information to pass onto her? Much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Questions regard a pacman with a foot injury (a pac was injured by a pyxie).

Well, to start with I'll get on my little soap box. This is exactly why it is not safe to house Pacmans together or with any other frog. Time and again we hear stories like this. And yes, sometimes they cohabitate for years before one day one of them decides to attack the other one. But it is almost inevitable that it happens. If she hadn't come home most likely BOTH frogs would have died - the Pac from being eaten and the Pyxie from trying to eat something too large.

Ok, moving on. The Pac needs immediate vet treatment! It may or may not need amputation. While necrotic limbs may fall off on their own, the risk of infection is very high. If left untreated the infection can easily become septic (enter the bloodstream) at which point it will be almost untreatable and the frog will most likely die. Even being kept in a hospital set-up the frog is still at great risk for infection. Frankly there isn't much more home treatment your friend can do. She might try applying some Origional Neosporin (NOT the kind with painkillers! That will kill the frog) to help with the topical wound. But it really all boils down to the fact that this frog needs immediate vet treatment. I hope the frog can pull through, although he/she will be permanently disabled. Please keep us posted.

ragnew

Default Re: Questions regard a pacman with a foot injury (a pac was injured by a pyxie).

Hey GrifTheGreat,

Thanks for the reply. I agree, I was kind of surprised to have heard that she'd kept them together for some time without any instances like this happening before hand. I definitely let her know that keeping frogs like these together was a pretty bad idea. Though I get the feeling that she is really beating herself up over this. Last I'd heard, she's taking the advice from our previous conversation and getting the little beastie some medical treatment. I think a round of meds from a vet would be a good idea. With luck nothing has set in already. Thanks again, and I'll definitely keep you guys/gals posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh goodness, it's sad to hear when these things happen. Unfortunately at the cost of a limb or life. Poor little fella.

Grif has told you everything you need to know. It is best to think about what is best for the pac, which depends on the severity of the wound. I have not seen good results in allowing gangrene to set in. Septicemia (blood infection) and osteomyelitis (bone infection) often occur. I hate to say it, but if the leg is necrotic I would recommend amputation with proper incision and clean out or euthanizing the poor little frog. If the frog is not too fearful of his owner and is pretty laid back he may tolerate the care he'll need. Healing time would take, at minimal, a few weeks. He will likely be stressed, may quit eating, etc. He will need incision care until it completely heals and would definitely need a hospital quarantine tank. His soaking water and misting water has to be super clean. I would recommend boiling/cooling dechlorinated water. And he'd need antibiotics to the amputation and/or systemic until it heals. Each frog has their own limit to what they can tolerate. Can he live with an amputation if healed properly...of course. He will have trouble hunting, but can be tong fed. Will he have pain through this process? Of course. She needs to think about what she can offer this frog and what She and the frog are willing to do to get him better.

That being said....what is the best choice? It depends on how severe the injury, how far up the leg the injury is (will he have a stump to balance on), if it is already infected or not, the frogs personality or tolerance, the owners ability to care for his future needs, and what the vet is willing to do.

Would I have it amputated or euthanized? Idk. But, I would definitely take him to a vet and would not leave the frog to die of gangrene.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Sad story and important lesson. I'm glad you posted and I hope many of our members read this one.

Tell your friend good luck. I'm sure she feels horrible. Please keep us posted.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

IvoryReptiles

We had a similar mis-hap during mating project once. The injured frog's back leg & foot received some pretty severe acid burns. Without photos of the damage, the only thing we can recommend is Vet care. For us, we called our vet & sent photos and he had us wash the wound and soak the frog to remove ALL acids.....treat with meds & hope for the best.....luckily, our frog recovered completely. Best of luck to your friend's frog!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

so sad, hope he'll be ok.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information