Thread: White Spots with Black dots?

danjmc89

Question White Spots with Black dots?

Hi all!

I've had my OFBT's for about a week and have noticed these white spots on the body and the white patch under the belly, on a couple of them. Is this normal? I have not seen any other Toads with the black dots in the centre of the white spots.

Many thanks for all help!

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kira Hudson

Default Re: White Spots with Black dots?

wow the first thing that catchs my eye is were is his orange have you had a vet look at him typicly were the white is there is orange here is a pic for demoName:  fire belly.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  4.2 KB

danjmc89

I only just noticed that in the photo...I think it must be a trick of the image or something, don't worry he definitely has bright red/orange underneath!

ToadTee

It appears that maybe it is just a variation in the toads pigment? Hopefully it is nothing to worry about.

My little brown FBT has some white spots mixed in with her coloration. Mostly on the border of her belly and a slight dusting on her lips.

edit: I found this reference while reading over the FBT care sheet...
    "Breeding occurs in the spring with arrival of the warm rains of April and May, but can continue into mid-August. Males develop small, black-tipped tubercles on the back and upper surfaces of the hind legs, while the legs of females remain relatively smooth."

danjmc89

Oooh, interesting. Sounds like that sort of thing! It does seem a little late in the season (we've had our first frosts already!) but perhaps the move has triggered something and the males think it's spring? Which care sheet were you looking at?

ToadTee

Maybe he is just a late bloomer.

The care sheet can be found here: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives

danjmc89

Great, thanks I didn't realise all those sheets were there. I have heard him calling a lot the past two nights, so guess he's getting in the mood :P

ToadTee

Sure no problem There is a lot of information in these forums, I'm finding new stuff all the time.

lol He is definitely confused about the seasons.

adinco

All my toads have black spots on their warts. I thought it was just how they secreted the toxins on their skin *shrugs*

FinnyBird

Yup, it's normal. As for the seasonal thing, I find that the humidity that builds in my tank is released every time I open the lid, which causes dramatic cooling. For the first several months (and it still happens occasionally now), the males took it as a sign to mate and well...they took a while to realize there were crickets to be had. Spring started twice a week, according to their bodies.

So no worries. You're all good.

Thread Information