Thread: Hi! New to forums. Recent whites tree frog. Have few question

SheShe0731

Default Hi! New to forums. Recent whites tree frog. Have few question

Hi I have a few questions about my whites. I purchased them both the same day and assumed they were the same age. Well one of them is huge and I'm guessing it's a male because he started croaking and his throat puffs up. The other is tiny, it hasn't grown much since I had it. And I also don't no wether it a male or female. I will be going home to look at her thumbs soon. So one question is aren't the females suppose to be bigger then the males? Why isn't the other one growing. I also would like to know if you can tell there age by there size. I'm going to try and uploa a pic. Thank you for the possible help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SheShe0731

Default Re: Hi! New to forums. Recent whites tree frog. Have few question

I do not no how to get a picture on here. sorry

Pluke

I don't know much about whites tree frogs, but to post a picture you can click "Reply" and you'll see some buttons above the text box where you type your message. There is a little picture with a tree in it that says "Insert Image" if you hover over it, click that and it gives you the option to insert a pic from a URL or directly from your computer.

SheShe0731

this is best i can do. these are older, from when i got them in July. the green one is the bigger one now.Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  43.2 KBName:  photo1.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  108.9 KBName:  photo2.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  80.9 KB

Rae

Just curious... how do you feed them? Do you just let crickets in and the Frogs hunt? There is a possibility that only one is getting the food or most of it so it is growing faster if this is the case.

Yes usually the females are larger

Did you get them together? Australian Whites are larger than Indonesian whites? Just some size difference possibilities.

I have greys and I have a unusually large male that is as big as my big female (I think its a female lol). So the size determining the sex isn't always accurate 100% apparently in some breeds of frogs.

SheShe0731

I got that at the same time and place, so they must be the same age. When I feed them I usually put 8-12 in every other day and i def see the little one eat a few. Maybe not as many as the bigger one. Am I under/ over feeding them?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Beautiful frogs! Looking at the picture, the one isn't terribly smaller than the other. Do you feed small crickets? 8-12 crickets is a good amount. Just watch them eat, if one of them is eating most of the crickets try tong feeding the other. I have two Whites housed together and they take turns over who eats the most crickets. They are still little so I put 8 crickets in a bowl every day and if only one of them gets one or two I will tong feed it a few more.

Is there any signs of aggression while they eat? Whites and frogs in general are solitary animals so they will get food however they can, even if it's right out of the mouth of their tank mate!

If the one frog isn't getting bigger at all you might want to get a fecal test done. If the frog has parasites the parasites will lurch the nutrients away from the frog preventing it from getting big and healthy.

Also, don't forget to dust the crickets! Calcium and vitamins are important to a growing frog!
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

SheShe0731

Patsy... This picture is older. The small one is still the same size the bigger one in double in size. I hope it's not parasites. I see the little one eat just not as much as the bigger one. They seem to live well together, they never fight over food.

Rae

Make sure the smaller is getting more then... like she said feed her extra with tongs if you have too. Most people on here feed whites 3 to 4 a night from what I have read... so if you are only feeding every other night and shes only getting a few that might have alot to do with it.

Sue H

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Make sure the smaller is getting more then... like she said feed her extra with tongs if you have too. Most people on here feed whites 3 to 4 a night from what I have read... so if you are only feeding every other night and shes only getting a few that might have alot to do with it.
    I would also have a look at how the little one is filling out. The legs should be filled out, not skinny, the hips should be well covered and not prominent, and you should see a slight ridge over the ear (supratympanic ridge). If your frog looks well fleshed out and the hip bones aren't sticking out it's probably just naturally smaller. If it seems skinnier than the other frog, not just smaller, you might have to tong feed to make sure it gets its fair share of food.

Stardust369

Hi!
    I just got two baby white's as well. One of them is about 1.5 times the size of the other. I know for sure that the bigger one, keahi, is eating, because i always see her around the cricket bowl (I use the glass bowl trick) when I wake up. They always have mealworms available and I've been feeding 15 crickets every 2-3 days. Both of them are active and move around the enclosure.
    I have tried to monitor their eating, but they refuse to eat when I am watching them! How can I make sure that both of them are getting the food they need?

Thread Information