Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This forum is making my head spin!

Mariah94

Default This forum is making my head spin!

There are just so many different opinions on this forum, it seems everybody does something a little bit different and I'm just not sure which opinion to listen to

The beardie forum I'm on for the most part has one opinion on proper care and it's very easy to figure out right from wrong.

But here it seems feeding and lighting have vary altered opinions, as well as tank size.

I'm trying to figure out how many feeders to feed my albino packman and what kind of lighting (not heating, just light so I can actually see my pacman) I can use that's safe for him.

I may just be tired. I've been browsing this forum all night and I have the color run in the am...I'll come back to this tomorrow.

Thanks guys, I'm trying to sort everything out here. Head is scrambled.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

How old is the PAC and with them being nocturnal its difficult to say what lights are safe
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: This forum is making my head spin!

You dont need any kind of lighting for a Pacman frog. UVB lighting isn't necessary with Pacman frogs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

There is also a pretty good care sheet on the site, I would also suggest Phillipe De Vosjoli's book.

Nationality
    [United States]

How old is your pacman? As far as lighting goes, I would go with a low wattage house bulb. Something that won't hurt his/her eyes since they are nocturnal.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok ill give the info that I offer consistently all the time. I never change how I explain the setup and it is posted throughout this forum.

Pacman frogs are not very active so they don't need large spaces. A Pacman can live out its entire life in a 10 gallon tank, but as babies and juveniles they need to be able to catch their food easily due to them needing as much food and nutrition as possible so you'll want to house a baby in a medium to large critter keeper. These are plastic so you will need to select a UTH(Under Tank Heater) that is for hermit crab terrariums. These are small and are safe fir plastic. No other heat pad is safe and it is usually stated within the Warning section of the pad's instructions. About 1" to 1 1/2" if coconut fiber(not husk) substrate for burrowing. Cover 3 sides of the enclosure with some sort of background so the frog feels secure. Pacman Frogs stress easily so you need to make him as comfortable as possible. NEVER DUCT TAPE A UNIT THAT PRODUCES HEAT. It may start a fire.

As for lighting. You'll want to purchase a Fluker's 5.5" or 8.5" clamp lamp with dimmer switch. The dimmer switch allows you to accurately control the amount of light and heat produced by the bulbs you'll use. Now incandescent bulbs are what you want and you don't want to exceed 50 watts. Anything higher is too powerful. Like Ra said though they are nit necessary if the room the frog is in is well lit during the day and dark at night to allow for proper day night cycle and if the room stays warm enough. The frog must have temps of 80° to 82° during the day and 75° to 79° at night. Night temp for babies should hover around 78° though. Since you have an Albino you'll want to avoid any and all daylight/spotlight bulbs. You can use an Infrared during the day and night since the infrared will not be visible in a well lit room and doesn't affect their natural day/night cycle so its fine to use at night as well. Beware that any heating unit whether it be light bulb or UTH will lower the relative humidity as the temp rises. Humidity needs to be 80%, but can be ok in the mid to high 70s. Albinos are extremely sensitive to bright lights and UVB radiation so you'll want to avoid these completely. Their skin can be burned and too much exposure can cause them to go blind.

The rocks you have in the frogs water dish will need to be swapped out for larger ones as the frog grows so that it doesn't accidentally swallow one and become impacted(severely constipated/intestinal blockage) and die.

There is a lot of conflicting info out there so if you have any in-depth questions feel free to ask. There are several experienced keepers and breeders here that can assist you. Also note that this is not a forum for it one kind of frog unlike the forum you mentioned for Beardies. There are a about 4 ways to keep a basic setup for Pacman frogs and some are better than others, but each works. It is up to you to choose which you feel is right for you and your frog.

As your frog grows you can upgrade to a larger enclosure.

Welcome to Frog Forum.

8. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes. I can understand your frustration. I continue to be amazed at how little research is being done on frogs. Answers are often difficult without a lot of reading, then using your accumulated knowledge and own natural instinct to solve the dilemma. Fortunately, FrogForum has members who are well read and experienced and have been a blessing for me and my frogs. It takes patience to get the answer that will help and living in this fast paced decade doesn't condone that behavior - even stifles it. Such a shame. Patience and wisdom go hand in hand.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Mariah94 - welcome to the forum, don't worry, you'll figure everything up, and if not - just ask questions, people here are great!

Grif - are you saying it is safe to stick hermit crab UTH to the side of the plastic keeper? i have nothing so far for my baby, but he eats like crazy as it is, I'm not liking thou to not be able to control temps. it is not cold and temp are more or less ok during day, but very soon it will get colder and even now at night it is getting colder then I like him to be in. i was thinking small UTH to the side, lamps are not an option as a lid is plastic too. I'm not liking that all plastic business in general, but it keeps humidity very well without any foggers, etc.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [France]

According to me, the best compromise for a pacman frog concerning light is a ReptiGlo from Exo Terra UVB2.0 13W.
    It is soft light, nearly no dangerous UVB and no heating.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Mariah94 - welcome to the forum, don't worry, you'll figure everything up, and if not - just ask questions, people here are great!

Grif - are you saying it is safe to stick hermit crab UTH to the side of the plastic keeper? i have nothing so far for my baby, but he eats like crazy as it is, I'm not liking thou to not be able to control temps. it is not cold and temp are more or less ok during day, but very soon it will get colder and even now at night it is getting colder then I like him to be in. i was thinking small UTH to the side, lamps are not an option as a lid is plastic too. I'm not liking that all plastic business in general, but it keeps humidity very well without any foggers, etc.
    Yes, you can use a Zoo Med UTH model# RH-7 or the small rectangular UTH for Hermit Crabs because they don't get hot enough to damage the plastic. These are the only ones safe for plastic enclosures. In the election sheet that comes with them it states that they can be used on plastic even though the paper over the adhesive says otherwise. They are completely safe. Just make sure you stick them on well with minimal air bubbles.

13. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have small regular energy saving lamp i think it is 13W in all my tanks, don't remember, but smallest voltage there is. special reptile lamp bulbs are expensive in comparison and don't last as long. when you've got quite a few tanks energy saving is really helpful, and then if needed I'm adding red heat lamp.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GRABibus View Post
    According to me, the best compromise for a pacman frog concerning light is a ReptiGlo from Exo Terra UVB2.0 13W.
    It is soft light, nearly no dangerous UVB and no heating.
    UVB is not necessary , but can be used for standard morphs for about 4 to 6 hours a day. Low UVB may be fine fir standard morphs, but NOT for Albinos. Their skin and eyes can be damaged by the UVB Radiation.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Yes, you can use a Zoo Med UTH model# RH-7 or the small rectangular UTH for Hermit Crabs because they don't get hot enough to damage the plastic. These are the only ones safe for plastic enclosures. In the election sheet that comes with them it states that they can be used on plastic even though the paper over the adhesive says otherwise. They are completely safe. Just make sure you stick them on well with minimal air bubbles.
    thank you Grif, will go and do it right away, not sure how it'll stick thou, UTV was in use for other tank before, hopefully it'll stick. I don't really want to invest in anything for that plastic thing, If his growth rate will continue to be the same I will be moving him to different enclosure pretty soon.

Nationality
    [United States]

thank you Grif, will go and do it right away, not sure how it'll stick thou, UTV was in use for other tank before, hopefully it'll stick. I don't really want to invest in anything for that plastic thing, If his growth rate will continue to be the same I will be moving him to different enclosure pretty soon.
    It is very dangerous to re-use UTHs. If you bend them while removing it from an enclosure you risk damaging the very tiny wiring within the pad and they can then be a serious fire hazard. You may still have to buy a new one even if you hate to do so. Better that your frog doesn't experience any serious climate changes without one and you risking a fire by using a old one that may be damaged.

Nationality
    [Canada]

damn it, haven't thought about fire and with all that wiring around cages it is not something I'd rather risk. oh well going shopping will use same keeper for another frog eventually, i doubt it will ever end :lol:

Nationality
    [United States]

damn it, haven't thought about fire and with all that wiring around cages it is not something I'd rather risk. oh well going shopping will use same keeper for another frog eventually, i doubt it will ever end :lol:
    You're welcome. The keepers are also good for placing frogs in while you clean that particular frog's enclosure. That's what I do.

eRock79

I've read some really great responses here in this thread and have learned much already just by taking the time to see what everyone thinks. I'm hoping that my question here will benefit the OP as well: I'm currently using Eco Earth for my baby Pac but have noticed people talking about coconut husk; am I using the wrong stuff? My baby likes to really dig in deep as if to cover his eyes during the day and when he comes out, he's kinda covered in earth substrate. Thank you all in advance and to the OP, I hope I didn't thread-jack, but instead, sought help for the both of us. Cheers!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by eRock79 View Post
    I've read some really great responses here in this thread and have learned much already just by taking the time to see what everyone thinks. I'm hoping that my question here will benefit the OP as well: I'm currently using Eco Earth for my baby Pac but have noticed people talking about coconut husk; am I using the wrong stuff? My baby likes to really dig in deep as if to cover his eyes during the day and when he comes out, he's kinda covered in earth substrate. Thank you all in advance and to the OP, I hope I didn't thread-jack, but instead, sought help for the both of us. Cheers!
    You're using the right substrate. You want Coconut Fiber NOT Coconut Husk.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by eRock79 View Post
    You definitely want coco fiber Not coco husk! Coco husk greatly increases the risk of impaction.

It is normal for them to burrow down and to be covered in dirt. If you are worried about the frog ingesting too much substrate when he sheds, then set him in his water dish. Some frogs will get in their water on their own all the time and others won't. It varies. A good soak once week helps get any excess shed off and keep their bowel movements regular.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Erik, welcome to the forum! you are using perfect stuff, you need eco earth ( coconut fiber), NOT coconut husk.

Grif - what do you think about using 2 UTH for plastic keeper. I got one yesterday, it raises temp only a little bit, so it is sitting at 76 during day, and i want it higher for a day. another one on the other side?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information