Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This forum is making my head spin!

eRock79

Default Re: This forum is making my head spin!

Thank you all for the prompt responses! After reading them, I realized that I had made an error when typing my post; I had intended to say "Coconut fiber", not husk. Thank you again!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Erik, welcome to the forum! you are using perfect stuff, you need eco earth ( coconut fiber), NOT coconut husk.

Grif - what do you think about using 2 UTH for plastic keeper. I got one yesterday, it raises temp only a little bit, so it is sitting at 76 during day, and i want it higher for a day. another one on the other side?
    That's probably fine and if it gets too hot just unplug one. They don't get very hot so I use heat lamps about 12" above the keeper for extra heat.

EDIT; Also you can cover the Vented lid of the keeper with Saran Wrap(Plastic wrap) to help hold heat and humidity in. Cover the lid and cut a hole in the center where the clear access lid is and place any handles through to help hold the plastic down. I usually leave the vents on the ends uncovered and use scotch tape to adhere the Plastic Wrap to the underside of the lid. Works very well.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

you are using heat lamp above the plastic lid that is covered with plastic wrap? but may be 12' above it is ok, will try that or I can get second UTH and plug both into reptistat. I like lamp option better, i have a lot of them laying around
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I should have stated that you never want to place the light directly above the plastic. Either have the light over the section of lid Not covered with plastic or have the light several inches above the lid. I prefer the Flukers 5.5 inch clamp lamp with a dimmer switch. The dimmer switch allows you to easily tweak the temp to what you need it to be.

Also as an alternative to plastic you can get peices of plexiglass with a few holes drilled in it. It's the same concept just much less likely to melt.

7. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

yeah, no lamp on plastic, learned that long ago hard way :lol: and no lamps on a carpet too! :lol: one time lamps were off and my little one put one on a carpet, then in am when timer turned them on... all i can say I glad i saw it in time.

i have everything on rheostats, i guess it personal preference, same principle, but I like option of having few things plugged in one for similar tanks and requirements. it works better for me then separate lamps, but I have too many tanks to play with each lamp

I have 2 tanks close to each other so I just hang the lamp above ( well above ) +UTH on each tank, looks like so far so good.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information