Thread: Grey Tree frogs not eating

Lono

Default Grey Tree frogs not eating

Hello everyone! New to the forum (and to frog care).

In June, I received 6 grey tree frog tadpoles, which I raised. They morphed around July, and there's been a huge difference between the frogs ever since. Two were large and round, stayed visible during the day, and tolerated my hand without problems. Four hid constantly and were small. I fed fruit flies at first, but it soon came time to try crickets. At first, only the two already-round ones would take them from me. Soon, however, two more brave frogs joined them, and now they're still smaller-- but nice and round. They also stay visible during the day, and not only tolerate-- but seek-- my hand. Sometimes they ride the large tweezers after they grab a meal!

The problem is that the two hold-outs are not only staying small and afraid of me, they're becoming skeletal. Yes, I'm providing fruit flies-- tons of them-- every night to make up for them not eating crickets. Problem is, I don't even know if they're eating THAT. What could the problem be? And what do I do about it? I see people talking about force feeding, but I can't imagine doing that to these tiny little guys. Is this normal? Will they eventually come around, or is this an indication that something is wrong with them?

It's really too bad because one of them has exceptionally beautiful coloration-- very pale grey with black lines coming from the eyes and larger, darker eyes than the others.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Grey Tree frogs not eating

How big is your tank? It could be the bigger frogs are more domineering and are harassing the littler guys. A second tank may be all you need.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Lono

Default Happy update

Hi Becky, thanks for your response. Actually I've been surprised about how non-violent they all are. They sometimes sleep nose-to-butt in a line in their favorite places (corner, large bromeliad leaf), and I have never seen one attack another or act afraid of another. It's a 20-gallon right now, but as they get bigger I'll need to decide whether to break them up or get a very large enclosure. They seem to seek each others' company, with the brave four sleeping in one spot and the laggers-behind hiding in the same bromeliad leaf or pip.

But here's my happy update: within 2 hours of making my post here, both Pretty Boy and Tiny were out and about-- and in places I could corner them! I was relentless. I held that cricket in front of Tiny, and he scrunched up his little face as if it it were an old smelly shoe. But I pushed and tickled his lips with it until FINALLY he ate it! Encouraged, I did the same for Pretty Boy-- and he ate as well.

Whew!!! Apparently posting here was all I needed to do. I guess it embarrassed them, lol!

KingCam

Default Re: Happy update

Quote Originally Posted by Lono View Post
    But here's my happy update: within 2 hours of making my post here, both Pretty Boy and Tiny were out and about-- and in places I could corner them! I was relentless. I held that cricket in front of Tiny, and he scrunched up his little face as if it it were an old smelly shoe. But I pushed and tickled his lips with it until FINALLY he ate it! Encouraged, I did the same for Pretty Boy-- and he ate as well.
    Yeah, somtimes that's what has to be done. Glad you got it figured out I have one grey who is a stubborn eater, and I have to do exactly the same thing. Keep tickling their nose with the insect's legs until it finally eats it out of frustration XD It think it's hysterical how they will swat the bug away if they don't want it.

Good luck, be persistent and eventually your little guys will probably be eager eaters. 5 out of my 6 grey tree frogs eat like absolute pigs.

Lono

Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    5 out of my 6 grey tree frogs eat like absolute pigs.
    That's how my Big Four are now-- but initially it was only the two. Now these guys all eat so heartily that they try to swallow the end of the tweezers/tongs I use! They put their arms out and flail around wildly, and I have to be careful not to open the tweezers-- lest I hurt their greedy little mouths. So cute! But two did the "smelly shoe" act at first, and only ate out of desperation to get that annoying bug of their faces.

It's hard for me to imagine a creature being as skinny and desperately hungry as my hold-overs got NOT instinctively knowing how to eat.

BTW Cam-- do you hand feed everyone every time, or do your enthusiastic 5 know how to hunt?

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Lono View Post
    That's how my Big Four are now-- but initially it was only the two. Now these guys all eat so heartily that they try to swallow the end of the tweezers/tongs I use! They put their arms out and flail around wildly, and I have to be careful not to open the tweezers-- lest I hurt their greedy little mouths. So cute! But two did the "smelly shoe" act at first, and only ate out of desperation to get that annoying bug of their faces.

It's hard for me to imagine a creature being as skinny and desperately hungry as my hold-overs got NOT instinctively knowing how to eat.

BTW Cam-- do you hand feed everyone every time, or do your enthusiastic 5 know how to hunt?
    They definitely know how to hunt, but I almost always tong/hand feed. Sometimes when the frogs are paying attention to the tongs I will let a roach go on a limb across the tank or something and let them jump after it. They get them almost every time I do that, and I think it gives them a little excitement :P

You're right about their frantic arm flailing tendencies. Mine also usually end up hanging from something upside down by one back foot while they stuff the roach into their mouths with their hands! It's hilarious the acrobatics they will do to get a meal down (when all they really had to do was sit there a little more patiently).

Frogs that won't eat can be very frustrating. I don't really get why a starving animal would refuse food, either. I guess it's just not in their instincts to eat from the hands of a giant.

Thread Information